Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #46
HDoug
HDoug began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, MacBook
Thanks for the info kjk, much appreciated.

Doug
HDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #47
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
And to add my voice.... I remove the DRM from Kobo bought books and read in iBooks (well actually Stanza most of the time, but they load fine in iBooks as well)

The Adobe DRM is easy to remove.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #48
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
My problem is that when I connect it to the pc to synce and to recharge . It does the sync but says the pad is not charging and I know the usb is working because it syncs fine. So I have to charge it through the mains.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
My problem is that when I connect it to the pc to synce and to recharge . It does the sync but says the pad is not charging and I know the usb is working because it syncs fine. So I have to charge it through the mains.
That's not a problem; it's the way that it's intended to be charged.

Even though it says "not charging" on a PC, it is in fact "trickle charging", but it will take a long time. Just use the wall charger if you want to recharge - that will fully recharge it in a couple of hours.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #50
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
If you search the Apple Devices forums, you will find plenty of threads on this topic. The bottom line is that it actually is charging, albeit slower. The message that it is not charging is incorrect.

If you are patient, it will work through the PC. Alternatively, there are patches you can do to your mother board drivers to correct this, however it is risky unless you are using the right driver and know what you are doing. If you apply this incorrectly, you can spawn some very lovely BSODs.

-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #51
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
If you search the Apple Devices forums, you will find plenty of threads on this topic. The bottom line is that it actually is charging, albeit slower. The message that it is not charging is incorrect.

If you are patient, it will work through the PC. Alternatively, there are patches you can do to your mother board drivers to correct this, however it is risky unless you are using the right driver and know what you are doing. If you apply this incorrectly, you can spawn some very lovely BSODs.

-- Rique
The iPad charges if it's asleep, albeit slowly. You can power it off (hold Home and Sleep until the prompt appears) to get it to charge quicker.

I left my charger at the office on Thursday evening, so I've been doing this all weekend, and it works
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #52
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
People looking for PDF manuals for Apple products, including iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, and anything else can find them at http://support.apple.com/manuals/#
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #53
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
If you like to look up accessories for any apple product, try www.ilounge.com/ they have a free PDF on this every year. It's a great looking magazine that rates products and gives you everything from resell values to photos from all over the world.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
txtr has been updated for the iPhone/iPod Touch and there is now an iPad version. So there is a way to read eBooks bought in ePub with Adept DRM on an iPad. You are no longer limited to using iBooks to buy ePub. The previous version did not support the time limited version of Adept. So I do not know if the new version does or not. But if it does, then you can use it for library eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #55
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
A question- I do not have an iPad, and one reason (silly) is because of the flip animation in iBooks of pages turning before the new page is shown, based on the videos I have seen. I like my reading to basically be seamless- page to go to next page without flourish or interruption. Is the animated pages turning a feature that can be turned off?

thanks,
Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #56
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Not that I can tell, but in my experience it is not terribly distracting.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #57
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Kobo app now supports sideloading ("open with" from Safari/email for ePub & Pdf).
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #58
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I read my pdf files in Goodreader on the IPad. Is there a way to get Goodreader to download directly from my Calibre content server?
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
On my Kindle, whenever I underline or annotate a passage, it appears in a text file entitled "My Clippings" that I can download to my PC when I connect via USB. In addition, all the annotations and underlined passages from Amazon-purchased books appear on Amazon.com for downloading from the Internet. Is there a similar method for downloading the underlined and annotated passages for the iPad?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-09-2010 at 12:24 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And here's a stupid follow-up question.

I've installed the Pages app on my iPad. How do I get the files created in the iPad to my PC? Must they be e-mailed as attachments or is there a more direct way?

I have an iMac as well, but the rest of the family uses that, so I'd really rather use my PC for word-processing functions, but that also brings up a question. Would I be better off syncing the iPad to the iMac? Would I be able to see the Pages files as well as the book annotations and underlined passages if I synced it to the iMac rather than a PC?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote