Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Oddjob
Oddjob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Scheduled Wireless?

Hi Everyone,

I pre-ordered the latest Kindle a couple of weeks ago and spent too much time since dreaming up use-case scenarios. I like the idea of having news emailed every morning (via services such as Tabbloid or Zinepal). However having the wireless on constantly would lessen the battery life and I don't fancy turning it on and off every morning.

Is it possible to hack something to schedule wireless to turn on at a certain time and turn off at some later point? Or is this something that may be possible via the seemingly mythical KDK? Either way does this seem like something others may have a wish for?

Thanks for any response!
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
What you can do is use the hotkey hack and use a shortcut to enable/disable the wireless.

On the DX graphite that would be:
Code:
send_keys HOME MENU WAIT UP SELECT
Other than that, I have no idea.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Sure. You could add something to the crontab to have it executed every day at a certain time. You would use the lipc-send-event command to enable and disable the wireless.

Zanshin's solution would also work to quickly toggle wireless manually.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Oddjob
Oddjob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the replies, guys. Both of those sound really useful. Looking forwards to getting my Kindle and seeing what is possible.
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote