Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
danalynn
danalynn began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
frozen on "opening book"

HELP PLEASE! before I throw this thing at the wall. After charging for about an hour, my reader popped up the page that says "opening book.." I cannot turn it off with the power switch at the top, can't change the page by pressing buttons, and have pressed the reset hole at the bottom numerous times with a pin to no result. reconnecting it to the power source does nothing either. does anyone have a solution to this or am I doomed to look at this page until the power runs out again? Thanks a lot.
danalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, danalynn.

Some more information might be useful to help in finding a solution.

Was it trying to open a book before it lost power and you tried to recharge?

How were you charging it? USB or a mains (wall) charger?

How many and what format books were just loaded on your Reader?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
danalynn

Hi and thanks. no it wasn't trying to open an book earlier, wall charger, it didn't actually lose power, it was just down to its last bar so I decided to recharge it, I haven't loaded a new book on it since yesterday. Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
OK. Which Reader do you have?

I have the 505 and have only had this happen once. I waited for hours with that little circle on the screen and gave up and tried the Soft Reset (twice)... of course this was after the panic and push all the buttons technique that a lot of us seem to do.

I used a paper clip to push the reset button on the back of my 505 and then slid the power switch. I waited a little bit and then did the same again. The little circle starting turning again and finally opened.

You can click on the link in my signature for the link to the MR Wiki with the Sony Troubleshooting Guide for the Soft and Hard Reset instructions.

What file formats have you been putting on your Reader?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
danalynn

Hi I have a PRS-300. I have adobe PDF and epub files on it. At any rate the silly thing seems to have fixed itself with no further help from me! I had to go to bed last night and left it plugged into the computer. All is apparently right as rain now. I guess it was a malfunction of not being fully charged yet. Next time I'm just going to close my eyes and not look at the screen when I plug it in and not look again for a few hours! Thanks again for your help and thanks for the link.
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If the battery is flat, then the PRS-300 really needs 3 or so hours to charge fully before it functions again.

Just be careful your PC does not drop into sleep or hibernation mode as power to the motherboard USB hub will be cut as part of the power down sequence.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
danalynn

thanks sabredog. I have just discovered that I haven't been turning if off properly either (only had it since the end of June) - so no wonder I ran the battery right down! Should be a while before I need to worry about this again!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
Thanks dreams!

I now understand the difference between a soft reset and the hard reset.
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
A5150NURSE
A5150NURSE began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
Sony PRS-300

Danalynn, read your post about the issues you had and I see that you have figured out how to fix it....I am in the same situation you were in and trying to figure out what you did to fix it.....thanks
A5150NURSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
danalynn

Hi A5150NURSE
I wish I could remember that far back and help you! It was a long time ago...my reader since died completely and I have the new wifi model (which is awesome, if you can't get yours to work). Sorry can't be of more help.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
cathermac
cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-650 and Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5150NURSE View Post
Danalynn, read your post about the issues you had and I see that you have figured out how to fix it....I am in the same situation you were in and trying to figure out what you did to fix it.....thanks
Hi, i have had the same trouble a lot of times with my two prs 300. Most of times it´s due to the books. If they are bigger than 1mb, sometimes freeze.
Just try with small sizes or erasing all books and proove wich one does not work.
cathermac is offline   Reply With Quote