Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Pixel Qi netbook display replacement kit on sale

from Engadget.com :

"You've waited and waited and, let's face it, waited for this day to arrrive. Now Pixel Qi's 10.1-inch display is available for DIY types looking to swap out their LCD for a dual-mode reflective Qi display capable of slipping into a power-sipping e-paper mode that's visible even in direct sunlight. It's only certified to work with Samsung N130 and Lenovo S10-2 machines but we're sure you'll figure out how to slide this pup into the Acer or ASUS netbook of your dreams. On sale now at MakerShed for $275, the swap reportedly takes about 5 minutes using only a screwdriver. So get out of here -- stop waiting for the majors to introduce a Pixel Qi netbook, it's time to build your own and put those claims of a 20+ hour laptop to the test."

So far only two netbook models are officially supported with a reported time of 5 minutes neccessary for the swap.
Hope that bodes well for tablets/ netbooks with a pixelqi screen...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Holy crap this is good news. Although I would like to see the screen in a tablet. Already got a laptop.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I actually hope that the Notionink Adam is now more likely to appear...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Me to, still keeping my fingers crossed for the Adam to appear.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
thinkpad
David

More info from Jepsen about the availability of the Pixel QI screen as DIY:

Quote:
Well, we said we would release Pixel Qi screens to the DIY community at the end of Q2 and we are announcing today (June 30th) that we have! Screens are available at Make Magazine.
http://pixelqi.com/blog1/2010/07/01/...available-now/
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No 10" netbook to experiment with

But I hope that this is the first step in a whole range of products!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Finally. I'll be looking into one, but am not pulling the trigger just yet as I don't have a 10" netbook to work with.

Too bad there are no smartbooks we can drop this into yet. Or are there?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Great news indeed. It's significant because it means pixel qi is off the vapor ware wagon.

I've been waiting for it for quite a while. But the price is a little bit too high. I'll wait for some hands on and reviews before jumping in.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Has anyone figured what the actual resolution of this screen is?

Pixel Qi says the resolution of the screen in e-paper mode is 3 times the resolution of the fully saturated color mode.

What resolution are we talking about then?
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
Has anyone figured what the actual resolution of this screen is?

Pixel Qi says the resolution of the screen in e-paper mode is 3 times the resolution of the fully saturated color mode.

What resolution are we talking about then?
The resolution is the same 1024x600.
What she was saying was that the RGB subpixels will still be there in monochrome mode and can be utilized individually with subpixel rendering or hinting as if the horizontal resolution were three times higher.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 07-01-2010 at 10:13 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I haven't followed Pixel Qi developments, but am wondering whether there's any reason I might want to apply this to a Lenovo S10-2 that I have just sitting around. I also have a Lenovo S10 that it might work on. (Both have been sidelined by my iPad 3G.)

I'm not a techie and there might be uses I dunno about, so I'm asking.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
So far only two netbook models are officially supported with a reported time of 5 minutes neccessary for the swap.
Uhh.. I would triple that. Have always spent at least 30 minutes whenever I mess with any hardware. Maybe I'm slow, but 5 minutes seems like the top speed time.

Still glad this screen has been released in some form, even if not prebuilt into some netbook. Just curious to see how this performs in real life usage.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
here's a site with what I believe to be some prototypes of PixelQi.
They sent me the link, perhaps someone knows what these are?

http://www.innoversal.com.tw/en-us/p...s/default.aspx
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
here's a site with what I believe to be some prototypes of PixelQi.
They sent me the link, perhaps someone knows what these are?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=innoversal
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What, as a matter of interest, is the cost of the netbooks into which one can put this $275 screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote