Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Any Kindle 3 rumors?

With reviews of the Nook coming in, I've seen a few comments indicating people will wait for the Kindle 3.

Now I may have missed something, but I haven't even seen rumors about an upcoming Kindle 3. However, this got me thinking -- beyond software updates, what would a Kindle 3 even look like? (This assumes large screen devices like the Kindle DX are a separate category.)

So are there really any Kindle 3 rumors out there? If not, what do you think a Kindle 3 will look like? What would get you to upgrade from your current device? Are you just looking for software upgrades?

Personally, I'd be happy with software upgrades -- ePub support, better PDF support, zooming in on images, folders/tags, etc.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
I just purchased a Kindle DX but everything that I would like it to do could be handled with software updates.

Someday when a fast refresh color e-ink display comes out I will do a hardware upgrade but I really don't see how incrementally adding gadget features will improve my experience when I am reading a book.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I haven't seen many rumors, but Feb 2010 will be 1 year since Kindle 2, so here's hoping it's out by then!

I'd like to see the features you mentioned (epub, pdf etc) as well as a few hardware upgrades - faster processor, more space and/or sd slot comeback.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I just ordered my Kindle 2, my very first ereader. I might cry if a Kindle 3 comes out in February. Wondering now if I should return the 2 and wait a few more months.... grrrr.
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia575 View Post
I just ordered my Kindle 2, my very first ereader. I might cry if a Kindle 3 comes out in February. Wondering now if I should return the 2 and wait a few more months.... grrrr.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. This thread is just for fun and asking for people's speculation. I'd be surprised if we even see another Kindle in the next six months.

My guess is that you'll enjoy your Kindle 2 very much.

Last edited by Daithi; 12-07-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Some people are waiting for the Kindle 3...and the Kindle 4...and the Kindle 5...and...

See what's happening here? Honestly, it's an electronic book, meant for reading books. How fancy do you need your black ink on a blank page device to be? I mean really, other than the books, do you really need all the other bells and whistles? Most people have a laptop, smartphone, droid phone, PSP, or some other gizmo that picks up the internet for browsing, so it's not necessary for their e-reader be able to surf the web.

As for color e-ink, that would be great for magazines, but the first or second gen models won't (most likely) be crisp and clean and hi-rez, so the black and white will still be what you go for.

Bottom line, don't fret about getting a current generation e-reader. The truth of the matter is that it will do you just fine for several years. Enjoy your Kindle 2 (mine's in transit from Amazon) and don't have any remorse if a newer model comes out in a few months. Worst case scenario is that you can put it up for sale on eBay, Craigslist, or here, and someone will take it off your hands, and you can apply the cash to the newest thing.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia575 View Post
Do not return it. The more I think about it, the less likely I think a new Kindle will come out anytime soon. It just went International, so 100 countries full of ticked off people would not be cool. Unless... they offer a Kindle 3 that fits between K2 and the DX, such as an all plastic version (like Plastic Logic). It could be like Sony with multiple product lines to fit various reading styles.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Well, the reason I ordered it now is that I didn't want to keep waiting and waiting. But it would be silly to purchase if a significantly better reader was to come out in just 3 months.

For reading books I can't see how it would really matter, but as I want to put many of my PDF articles that I need to read/reference for my work on there, it would be good to have improvements. Yes, now there is native PDF reading, but seriously, my articles will still need converted to a manageable format until some zoom feature is enabled.

I do hope a nice software upgrade allows folders or an organization system of some sort.

I hope it comes soon so the "enjoyment" can get rolling!
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
My personal rule is never to buy electronics until you really want them, but as soon as you really want them, you should buy them. They are always evolving, so the waiting game is generally a lose/lose. I am still thrilled with my K1. Yes, it would be nice to have 16 shades of grey, and I know I will upgrade someday, but for now, I am just having fun reading more books than I have in years.

Just have fun, have fun, have fun.... You will love it, love it, love it....

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I can't think of much that would get me to upgrade my K1. It does all I need for my use of it--which is just leisure reading of books I'll generally only read once. So I don't need folders that badly, the speed could be better (especially for pulling up the dictionary etc.), but it's good enough. Text is text when it comes to simple novel reading.

I'm more curious to see what the DX2 is like. If it adds a stylus touch screen, better PDF support (more functions than just displaying them) I may be interested.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I purchased my Sony in March and little did I know 2 new readers would come out a few months later. So, my 505 is now "discontinued" and considered "outdated". However, It is still the perfect reader for me. And I have no plans for upgrading anytime soon.

(I keep up with this Kindle forum to get book information for my ipod touch).
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Well, there is definate "Kindle 2.5 " stuff.

Additions So far:
International Device
Native PDF
Screen Rotation
Longer Battery Life
Kindle Wish Lists
Book Deletion?
Kindle for PC (Mac/Blackberry coming)
Content Management (coming soon)

Maybe next to match nook?
Custom screensavers
Add'l fonts
Add'l file types
Maybe another DRM format?

Then, they'll add stuff that nook doesn't have that they've been holding on to FOREVER - like folders/tagging and other user-requested features. The nook will be fixing performance for the next couple of months, then they'll have to do something.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
Well, there is definate "Kindle 2.5 " stuff.
It is difficult to predict what Amazon will do next, and certainly one possibility is to keep the Kindle 2 "as is" (or do a minor refresh, like more memory once they have Content Management). They could add a 5" device at the low end, or add an 8" device with a touch screen (like the iRex DR800SG, but with finger touch and without the Sony shiny screen). This would be about the same size as the Kindle 2, since it could use a virtual keyboard.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I purchased my Sony in March and little did I know 2 new readers would come out a few months later. So, my 505 is now "discontinued" and considered "outdated". However, It is still the perfect reader for me. And I have no plans for upgrading anytime soon.

(I keep up with this Kindle forum to get book information for my ipod touch).
I got my Sony PRS-505 in July, and didn't actually get to use it (I had ordered it off the internet and had it sent to my brother, who brought it for me in August) until about a week or two before the 600 came out! Honestly, if I had known that the 600 was coming out at the time I would have waited, as I would love to have free-hand note-taking ability. In retrospect, perhaps I wouldn't have been as satisfied with it as I am with the 505, but now I'll never know...

Ideally, I would like to have a reader with a larger screen for pdfs / articles and note-taking at home, and my 6 inch to keep in my purse, and am keeping my fingers crossed that Sony comes out with a 9 (or larger) inch reader sometime in the near future. I would also be interested in a suped-up kindle dx2, particularly if it had a stylus.

Are there any particular features that anyone would like to see in a kindle 3?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It would be silly to wait for a new kindle that most likely won't come out until the end of 2010. And when it happens your K2/KDX will still be very relevant - unless it's broken.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote