Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #481
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No but its gotta be good he's the XKCD guy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #482
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading Presence by Amy Cuddy - http://www.amazon.com/Presence-Bring...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
She got a great Ted Talk I saw before getting the book
https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_...re?language=en

Last edited by kennyc; 01-05-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #483
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Anybody read What If by Randall Munroe? It looks interesting and amusing. Details here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/What-If-Scient...randall+munroe
I enjoyed it a lot. Check out https://what-if.xkcd.com/ to get a feel for what it is like. The book contains about 50 of his articles, over 1/2 are new although I am not sure exactly how many. Good book for when you only have a few minutes to read.

Changing gears and looking forward to May/June's book club, does anyone have a good pair of books to look into for the Science Fiction and Science Non-Fiction months? I am hoping we can choose a science fiction book and then a book that delves into a real aspect of the hook for that science fiction book.

For example, if we choose The Martian by Andy Weir for May (great book but lots of people have already finished it) we could then choose Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach for June and be able to tie the two together.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #484
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Anybody read What If by Randall Munroe? It looks interesting and amusing. Details here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/What-If-Scient...randall+munroe
I read the website; and I did get his Thing Explainer, which is just hilarious.

If you guys don't know, Randall is the geek god behind xkcd, the funniest stick figure drawings I've ever seen.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #485
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

Changing gears and looking forward to May/June's book club, does anyone have a good pair of books to look into for the Science Fiction and Science Non-Fiction months? I am hoping we can choose a science fiction book and then a book that delves into a real aspect of the hook for that science fiction book.

For example, if we choose The Martian by Andy Weir for May (great book but lots of people have already finished it) we could then choose Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach for June and be able to tie the two together.
Does it have to be newer stuff? I mean, The Martian is a great one, but so is Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars... or how about one of Neil Stephenson's books? The Diamond Age has several possible tie ins-- 3D printing on-demand, AI, nanotechnology...
Advert
Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #486
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It doesn't matter to me whether it is new or not. I am not particularly familiar with older science fiction so there is a lot that will still be "new" to me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #487
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It doesn't matter to me whether it is new or not. I am not particularly familiar with older science fiction so there is a lot that will still be "new" to me.
Do you have a separate thread for this?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #488
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I read the website; and I did get his Thing Explainer, which is just hilarious.

If you guys don't know, Randall is the geek god behind xkcd, the funniest stick figure drawings I've ever seen.
Warning: DO NOT click on that link unless you are willing to lose many hours. There is no way to read just one. You'll say, "just one more", and then "just one more", and a long time later, you'll still be there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #489
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Ok, looks like Einstein got it right on general relativity, at least according to the latest news. Consequently, I'd very much like your opinion on what the best book on Einstein is. My favorite, so far, is Michio Kaku's Einstein's Comos which I just reread a month or so ago.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #490
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...My favorite, so far, is Michio Kaku's Einstein's Comos....
Perry & family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comos.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	146363  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #491
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Perry & family.
That's just mean....but damn funny! LOL!
Old 09-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #492
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
This thread merits rejuvenation.

Sun in a Bottle - The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking -by Charles Seife.

A history of fusion. Pretty fascinating as it may be our best chance of powering our civilization without destroying the environment.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote