Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Improving the IQ firmware

Hi everyone,

Just wondering... are there still people that would like to have improvements on the IQ? It seems the IQ has fallen on the wayside these days...

I am testing some stuff I have found and integrated in the FW. Got the Quadrant score for the 270s in the 2.0.6 FW up to 370s... and it is running smoothly.

Any ideas?
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
I am quite happy with the IQ running 2.06 as my battery no longer drains by unexpected random wakeups. Mind you, the IQ still wakes up randomly, it just now knows to turn itself off.

I would love to be able to add contacts to the IQ.

I was able to find a work around for the calendar by using calengoo and sync with google calendar.

Not sure what you have in mind.

Cheers

Last edited by hiaig; 05-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Sure, I would like to see what you come up with. One thing I liked in the original firmware was book statistics, but never had much use for the Bookland links at the bottom. Would it be possible to do something like that? I had planned to see if I could add it myself, but I'm catching up on some things for work and was going to leave it for later.

I've also been trying to find a good note-taking app - any suggestions on that?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I've also been trying to find a good note-taking app - any suggestions on that?
I hear Evernote is a great app to take notes. There is also Colornote that put messages in the form of post-its on your home screen

I can try to see what I can do. I try to improve the ROM speed and graphics capability at this moment. My ultimate goal would be to run 2.2 in the near future. I have had unsuccessful runs before but I am confident it can be achieved soon.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
2.2 would be good, if nothing else to get the tablet-optimized Nook and Kindle apps.
If performance tweaks can get rid of the tts stutter issues...
(Which I suspect it due to the tts engine, not the OS.)
Other than that I'm generally satisfied with the IQ with 2.0.6 as a generic android webpad.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
obiwan99
obiwan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
I for one would like to have the repackaged firmware back. Currently everbody intestested in root/market/google apps needs to go to the trouble to root and reinstall all stuff on each release.

It would be good to do this in a more or less community-maintainable way so people can update it once pocketbook releases an update. It was a waste that first Coredump-EE repackages everything and now you have to reinvent the wheel again.

So if you would like to release an improved firmware, please consider using some content management system to put scripts that build an installer image.
The good thing about such endeavour is that it also gives people the power to customize a bit more (disable/enable some optimizations).

Failing that, at least documentation would be great.

I hope I will also be able to contribute some stuff in this case.
obiwan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
An upgrade would be great

Hi,

Since Pocketbook won't upgrade the firmware beyond Android 2.1 (I have received an email from Pocketbook confirming it), it would be great to have something that goes beyond and that incorporates Android Market as well as applications on external SD card.

Having only approximately 70MB for application (based on the info I have on my system) is too small. What is strange is that even when I remove apps to install others, it does not seem to recover all the space and as a result I have less and less space. Does someone else have this problem?

I like the Pocketbook and find it is a great value for the money, but there is definitely not enough space for applications and I am not sure I want to root it, since I am afraid things will go wrong. Not sure also if rooting the Pocketbook uses the same files and procedure now that we have firmware 2.0.6. Posts on this issue applied to earlier versions of the firmware.

Frank
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I wish to echo EBOOKOF.

It is the space for APPs that is my biggest constraint.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I wish to echo EBOOKOF.

It is the space for APPs that is my biggest constraint.
Someone in the german Forum succesfully added a2sd after flashing 2.0.6, but it's not recommended to do so, because you will most certainly loose data when the partition is rewritten. But apparently it works if you do that first thing after flashing FW
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
An improved IQ firmware would definitely be great, particularly for a2sd functionality, since I am having some difficulty tweaking the IQ.

I have installed firmware 2.0.6, added Android Market successfully using the second method in the Non-Ugly method posting (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128178 ), but after that, I have been unable to add a2sd functionality. So, I am not sure what to do next.

After adding Android Market, I have tried to root the Pocketbook IQ following the directions given at: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_IQ_701 , in order to be able to add a2sd.

When the Pocketbook IQ restarts, I have the SuperUser icon. However, it seems to be very unstable. When I open Z4Root or Root Check or Root Explorer, SuperUser crashes. Root Check indicates (after Superuser crashes) that the device is not rooted, but that Busybox is properly installed.

When I start Z4Root, it first only gives me the options to root temporarily or permanently. Only after approximately 10 seconds does it show the option to un-root. I have un-rooted and re-rooted, but with no better success. The issues are still the same.

What is wrong here? Am I unable to root the device because I used first the non-ugly method to add Android Market? Or is it another issue (e.g. is it related to the 2.0.6 firmware?).

In addition to Busybox (v. 1.17.2), it is indicated that I have version 2.3.6.1 of Superuser (database version 5) and Su binary v2.3.1 -ef. USB debugging was checked, as indicated in the instructions.

Thank you in advance for your help.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote