Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
PRS-600 vs 505 Video Comparison

Looks like the touch screen does diminish legibility a bit over that of the 505, but speed looks great.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/v...tisfy-prs-505/
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Looking less and less like I will be buying a 600.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
This is very disappointing. That was the only physical change the 700 needed. I'm rethinking my desire to get 600 now, too.
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Meh, it is the same video again. I wonder how often I read under glaring lights? I don't have that many glaring lights around, I find them annoying.

The page turning looks awfully fast though, and that I like. I'll withhold judgment until I can actually hold one and toy with it.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
It is not the glare that bothers me, it is the low contrast. I'll be reading a lot of Manga on my reader (whenever I finally get one) and I want those pictures to look as good as they can! I fear the 300's screen is too small to read Manga comfortably (despite having the same res screen).
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Still waiting for someone to review the handwriting annotation feature. Saw a picture of a scribble on a book but I need more information on how functional it is. As a contracts lawyer I have a dream of carrying home a briefcase that weighs less than a thousand pounds and marking up contracts and synching the markups directly to the file - if I can read books on it too it may well become the love of my life.

Has anyone seen a review of this feature? Google is giving me nothing... Going to the Sony store tonight to see what I can find out (I'm in Toronto so there is some hope that I may find a demo lying around).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Still waiting for someone to review the handwriting annotation feature. Saw a picture of a scribble on a book but I need more information on how functional it is. As a contracts lawyer I have a dream of carrying home a briefcase that weighs less than a thousand pounds and marking up contracts and synching the markups directly to the file - if I can read books on it too it may well become the love of my life.

Has anyone seen a review of this feature? Google is giving me nothing... Going to the Sony store tonight to see what I can find out (I'm in Toronto so there is some hope that I may find a demo lying around).

Mel
I'm also looking for reviews and videos etc but so far no luck apart from this one and one more short review at the shop. if you do end up going to the store please please write a short review for all us waiting here. my pre-order will be shipped on the 31st and if it isnt great I will cancel it. for the time being I am keeping the order.
At the moment we have no other option but wait for Canadians on this forum to give their impressions.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Meh, it is the same video again. I wonder how often I read under glaring lights? I don't have that many glaring lights around, I find them annoying.

The page turning looks awfully fast though, and that I like. I'll withhold judgment until I can actually hold one and toy with it.
As I've already said in another venue, when the first comparison images were shown. I will withhold my final decision until I can see it in person. But it's not the glare which bothers me (though i would suspect it's less usable in direct sunlight too). My concern is the distinct difference text quality. even on a video the 505 is sharper.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
As I've already said in another venue, when the first comparison images were shown. I will withhold my final decision until I can see it in person. But it's not the glare which bothers me (though i would suspect it's less usable in direct sunlight too). My concern is the distinct difference text quality. even on a video the 505 is sharper.
For me when you look at the first video the contrast is IMO pretty good. especially when he pics up then 600 and looks at the screen closely. and some photos I saw together with the 700 shows a brighter screen. However, when compared together with 505 there is a big difference. but then again, 505 screen is simply beautiful. in all fairness I was expecting it not to be as good.

the glare is the one I am not sure about. I still cant tell how bad it is. It is also much more difficult to record true glare on video as I suspect on video it gets more exaggerated. this will be my first reader so not sure how much problem it will be for me. but I know I hated glare on my computer and hence the reason why I have had mat screen macbook and macbook pro. I hate the fact that they now make shiny screens. I never understood why apple changed the screens..
btw will mobileread attend the sony announcement tomorrow?

Last edited by lev; 08-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I'll be curious to see what they announce tomorrow, but as much as I thought touch would be a feature I want, I don't want it at the expense of less contrast. I'm less concerned about glare since that can usually be eliminated with a slight angle adjustment. Contrast is another issue.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I feel that contrast is only just adequate on my 505. Any reduction is unacceptable to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Such a shame. No upgrade for me! The touchscreen takes a serious toll on the quality of the text.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
what is sony doing if they didn't read the pro reviews on the 700 and the user reviews, many people complained about the contrast and screen glare , and everybody said how clear the screen is on 505, doesn't sony read ENGLISH or are they just reading Japanese stuff on net.
Very disappointing if the 505 still is KING compared to 700 and 600 in screen clarity and contrast and glare problem on the newer ones.
I understand NEW FEATURES but this is READER and of course you want to be able to READ on the device and you don't want to take a step back and have foggy text, glare issue and contrast issues.
Quality control please and please learn from the 700 failure.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
I'm disappointed by the results of this video. I was really beginning to look forward to the 600. I still wasn't sure about the touch screen, but the difference in clarity is pretty obvious between the two screens. I want to see one in person before I make my decision. The speed difference is tremendous, and that's very appealing, but the contrast situation is frustrating. I want to be able to see what I'm reading clearly!
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
I'm disappointed by the results of this video. I was really beginning to look forward to the 600. I still wasn't sure about the touch screen, but the difference in clarity is pretty obvious between the two screens.
Definitely. Looks like they made the exact same mistake they did with the 700.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote