Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
giuliano176
giuliano176 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello from South Africa

Hi everyone!

I just joined the community as I'm looking into buying a reading device.
At a first look it doesn't seem like the South African market for reading devices is booming, and I'm considering purchasing it in Europe.
Has anyone got any recommendation or suggestion?
Thanks.
giuliano176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Hello, giuliano176!
I've been there a couple weeks ago. Me and my Cybook.

For a good recommendation, we need to know what are your needs and wants. What will you read? Do you want touchscreen? etc...

Welcome to MR
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
giuliano176

Hey Over!

Hope South Africa treated you well!

After I posted I kind of got sucked into the forum, and spent all morning collecting information concerning reading devices.
I'm under the impression that what would meet my requirements the most is the iLiad, which sadly is out of stock.
I spend quite some time reading on-line newspapers and magazines every day, so I'm looking for wifi capabilities.
I read mangas and comics, so a 8" screen would be a big plus.
I'm a book scribbler, so I'd like a touch screen and a stylo.

As I wait for the industry to roll out new feature reach and cheaper products (i phoned the iLiad customer service in the Netherlands, still no clear indication about when the next batch will be delivered), I've bought a Sony 505, as I read many positive reviews about it and I found one at a very reasonable price
Old 06-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	hello color2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	31409 giuliano176, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Welcome, enjoy, very good people here.

I live in Joburg, freezing today.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead giuliano176.

I"m sure you get lots more great advice here soon. In the meantime, enjoy some of the free books available here, no device needed! (except your computer )
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, giuliano176!

I am sure you will love your Sony and I know that Calibre has a way to download some of the newspapers you might be interested in, although, I've never actually done that. Take a peek at the Calibre forum and ask any questions you might have. Knowing how wonderful Kovid is about helping people with questions, you'll hear from him soon. Although, answers to many of your questions might already exist there!

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi giuliano176 and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year and a half and really like it. Be sure and let us know when you get yours.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
giuliano176

Hi all from not so cold Pretoria - at least 2 celsius warmer than Joburg

Thanks everyone for your welcome messages, I found this forum very well structured and extremely helpful in the choice of a reader.

I've gone through most of the Calibre forum, and I'm actually already using the program. Works great on my Macintosh.

Take care.

Giuliano