Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #76
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Ok Here's a screenshot of my stanza setup.
It's available in ebook format? Where?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably not a terribly good idea to post screen shots of "dodgy" books.... .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #78
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's available in ebook format? Where?
I'm sorry to say it's one of my own making. I read these books at least once a year sometimes more and as I own them in hardback they're a bit awkward to carry with me everywhere so I spent about two weeks a couple of years ago taking pictures with my digital camera and then converting them.

Taking the photos didn't take that long but the converting, editing and proofreading took forever!!

I used to look every few months to see if they'd been released yet as I'm quite happy to pay for them when they are, but I have to admit I haven't looked for a while.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #79
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably not a terribly good idea to post screen shots of "dodgy" books.... .
I'm a bit hazy on the law here but I believe as they have not been released in this format I'm perfectly within my rights to do this as I own the books in their original format? I would be happy if somebody could confirm this.

If they ever do get released I'll be buying them so I believe it isn't a problem I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #80
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*sigh* That's too bad. Been looking for some of my fave titles on booksonboard, fictionwise, etc, but there's still quite a bit of them that's not available. Oh well, at least the Legend of Drizzt books were released in ebook format this month (it coincided nicely with the booksonboard gift certificate reward promo ) so I've got quite a bit of reading material to go through.

As for the legality of the screenshot, it was just one page. I believe that's still considered fair use. Now if he starts distributing a digitized copy of the whole book, then he's in trouble.
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #81
Mnementh
Groupie

Quote:
As for the legality of the screenshot, it was just one page. I believe that's still considered fair use. Now if he starts distributing a digitized copy of the whole book, then he's in trouble.
Heh, the only person (to my knowledge) who has a copy is my Stepfather who also owns the books. It was actually him who got me reading David Eddings in the first place. He's too much of a beginner with computers and e-books in general I believe to have given them to anybody else so I think I'm pretty safe
Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #82
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

I've got paperback copies of the 12 books (Belgariad, Malloreon, Belgarath, Polgara). Haven't read the Rivan Codex yet, but I've been meaning to. I think the Pawn of Prophecy was the second fantasy book I've read. The first one was The Crystal Shard from the Icewind Dale Trilogy (Forgotten Realms) by R.A. Salvatore. I stayed in a dormitory in high school and we weren't allowed to watch TV so reading was one of our favorite pasttimes (not that I wasn't already an avid reader before). We were just swapping books and that's what got me started on the fantasy genre.

Nowadays, though, I prefer reading on the iPhone than the actual books. I often read in the dark so the backlit screen is really useful, hence, the reason I'm trying to get copies of my books in ebook format. Heck, I'll probably put the paperbooks in storage or donate them to the library if I can get digital copies. I'm quite low on space...
Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #83
Mnementh
Groupie

Quote:
I've got paperback copies of the 12 books (Belgariad, Malloreon, Belgarath, Polgara). Haven't read the Rivan Codex yet, but I've been meaning to. I think the Pawn of Prophecy was the second fantasy book I've read. The first one was The Crystal Shard from the Icewind Dale Trilogy (Forgotten Realms) by R.A. Salvatore. I stayed in a dormitory in high school and we weren't allowed to watch TV so reading was one of our favorite pasttimes (not that I wasn't already an avid reader before). We were just swapping books and that's what got me started on the fantasy genre.

Nowadays, though, I prefer reading on the iPhone than the actual books. I often read in the dark so the backlit screen is really useful, hence, the reason I'm trying to get copies of my books in ebook format. Heck, I'll probably put the paperbooks in storage or donate them to the library if I can get digital copies. I'm quite low on space...
Blimey where did you go to school that you weren't allowed to watch telly!!! Sounds like some militant school or something! (note: I did mean militant not military just in case anybody else jumps in to nitpick )

I have to admit I read mostly sci-fi until I was given POP and after that I was hooked, I rarely read anything other than fantasy now (with the odd exception I still re-read Harry Harrisons Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld series every so often).

I used to own thousands of books and never had the space to keep them all I've started replacing them all within the last two years or so with e-book versions (I will admit to using darknet versions before then but I realised I get so much enjoyment out of these pieces of literature that I wanted legal versions). I ended up selling all the books I've been able to replace to a local second hand book store for 10p a book figuring somebody else might be able to get some enjoyment out of them at a fraction of the cost of buying them new.

Pretty much the only thing missing from the e-book experience in my view is the sheer enjoyment I used to be able to get from spending a few hours a week browsing through second hand books stores. You could pretty much guarantee that the person running the store would be only too willing to discuss the books you were looking at in great detail...
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm a bit hazy on the law here but I believe as they have not been released in this format I'm perfectly within my rights to do this as I own the books in their original format? I would be happy if somebody could confirm this.

If they ever do get released I'll be buying them so I believe it isn't a problem I could be wrong.
The 2nd half of the "Belgariad" (books 4 and 5) of the original series is available as an eBook, and has been so for several years. The first half of the series, oddly, is not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #85
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Blimey where did you go to school that you weren't allowed to watch telly!!! Sounds like some militant school or something! (note: I did mean militant not military just in case anybody else jumps in to nitpick )
Science high school in the Philippines, kind of like the "magnet" schools in the US. We were allowed to watch but there was only one TV in the whole dorm (common room) and we weren't allowed to bring our own, not to mention there was a "curfew" on TV viewing. When you've got a hundred people fighting for the TV, the odds are somewhat against you. The only appliances we were allowed to bring was an electric fan and a radio. No desktops either. There's a computer room with some ancient PC's (286's) and printers where we could do our homework. Laptops were okay but bringing them was discouraged. The dorm including electricity was free (gov't subsidy) so we couldn't really complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The 2nd half of the "Belgariad" (books 4 and 5) of the original series is available as an eBook, and has been so for several years. The first half of the series, oddly, is not.
I just did a search again and you're right, they're available. I guess the reason I didn't see them before is I filter all my searches to include only those available in Microsoft Reader format (and more recently, Adobe ePUB). Looks like the Belgariad is only available in Mobipocket.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #86
lemon lime
Enthusiast
lemon lime began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook, iPod touch
Very late to this thread, but I wanted to share. I have a HanLin V3, which I got in April. Very pleased with it, no major complaints and very few minor ones. A few weeks ago, I got an iPod touch primarily as a portable web browser for a short vacation I was going on. After a bit of hemming and hawing, I decided to leave my V3 at home while I traveled with my Touch. I was surprised to find how well I adapted to reading on it. With Stanza permanently set to display white text on black and dimmed down as low as environmental conditions would allow, I found I could read as much as a couple of hours at a time (as much as I would read on my Hanlin) and not get eyestrain. And I am someone who works with my laptop on the dimmest setting at all times and still gets a headache after a couple of hours. Now, I actually have to force myself to use my poor, neglected HanLin.

A month ago, I was eagerly awaiting the V5 as a more portable option. Not only has that changed, but I can see myself disposing of my V3 in the very near future. If Apple comes out with a new Touch with better power management, I'll definitely be getting that. However, the battery life on the Touch is quite acceptable for my use as it is. If just reading, I could get it to last three days without recharging, a day or two with using a bit of wifi and some games.

BTW, I'm someone who hardly ever uses my cellphone -- I keep it for emergencies. I do not find the iPhone enticing at all.
lemon lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #87
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon lime View Post
I'm someone who hardly ever uses my cellphone -- I keep it for emergencies. I do not find the iPhone enticing at all.
The iPhone kinda sucks as a phone. All my previous cellphones beat it in the phone category. For me, the draw is internet anywhere you have cell service. Extremely useful given I can't get free wifi in a lot of places. I read a lot of fanfics and I really enjoy being able to download a newly updated fic to Stanza in the middle of the day.

If you can easily get wifi, then yes, getting an iPod touch is much more cost-effective.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #88
Mnementh
Groupie

Have to agree with ilovejedd, the iphone sucks as a phone but when combined with everything else it does it more than makes up for its shortfalls in my opinion.

I must admit though I prefer to read on my itouch than on my iphone (I bought the touch a long time before the iphone came out in case anybody wonders why I have both), the iphone just isn't fast enough in the page turning category because of all the extra stuff it's doing while stanza is running. The itouch is much much nippier, page turns are instant rather than taking a noticable and distracting amount of time on the iphone.

If you don't want a phone or as ilovejedd mentioned you have easy access to wi-fi hotspots (or you simply load up with loads of books before you leave the house!!) then I would definitely recommend an ipod touch either G1 or G2 whichever you can get cheaper so I'd say you definitely made the right choice
Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #89
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
... the iphone just isn't fast enough in the page turning category because of all the extra stuff it's doing while stanza is running.
This, perhaps, may now be compensated for by the faster iPhone 3GS, though these are the words of hypothesis rather than experience.

Cheers,
Adrian
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #90
grisjuan
Enthusiast
grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
This, perhaps, may now be compensated for by the faster iPhone 3GS, though these are the words of hypothesis rather than experience.
Page turns on my iPhone 3GS using Stanza or the Kindle app seem faster to me than on the Kindle 2 that I used to have. (I returned the K2 due to a number of issues...like how large it was, hard to hold, etc.).

I was going to buy a 'real' reader when something smaller than the Kindle 2 became available, but so far I'm really happy with the iPhone and don't plan to buy a dedicated reader anytime soon.
grisjuan is offline   Reply With Quote