Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
jailbreaking 3.1.2

Did anyone do it? Seems to be a lot more trouble than before. Is upgrading worth it? Mine is factory unlocked, so that is not an issue. But for me the iphone is unusable when it is not jailbroken.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Did anyone do it? Seems to be a lot more trouble than before. Is upgrading worth it? Mine is factory unlocked, so that is not an issue. But for me the iphone is unusable when it is not jailbroken.
Jailbreaking with Geohot's blackra1n is incredibly easy. I just updated to 3.1.2 through iTunes, executed blackra1n.exe and hit "make it ra1n". That's it.

For me it is worth it for quick access to Flightmode, WiFi and Bluetooth toggles plus the ability to enable apps running in the background and disable screen rotations (for browsing webpages while lying down ). I've always been a little concerned that jailbreaking reduces battery life but it doesn't cause me any real dramas.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jailbreaking really does slow things down, well what can we do, Apple stuck it to us by giving us so little program memory. But I do need to run some programs in the background and SPBsettings alone is worth the jailbreaking effort.

Thanks for the info, never heard of this one. Will try it tonight.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard

I tried blackra1n on my 3G. In the end it worked, after about an hour trying different tricks, rebooting the computer, stopping a number of services and background programs, and endlessly rebooting the iphone. But not exactly what I call easy. As I read a lot of users are having the same problems, it is still "work in progress".

Well, unlike many others I wasn't worried since the Iphone is only my backup phone now, since I bought another phone. But if the iphone is your only phone and you need to have it jailbroken (like I do) then I wouldn't necessarily recommend this procedure.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
ever since i brought my 3G last year, i have had this much fear about jailbreaking it. that's why i am still stuck with it locked.. no problem really for me anyways.

if i would be buying a 3GS, that would be the time i will unlock my 3G.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
belfastbiker
belfastbiker began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, Kindle 3, Mac, PC
Quote:
Jailbreaking really does slow things down

I find the opposite. The 3GS has vastly more "program" memory than the 3G, this helps drastically. With backgrounder + kirikae running, along with SBSettings, I find overall operation quicker.

Short version: 3GS handles multitasking EASILY.
belfastbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastbiker View Post
I find the opposite. The 3GS has vastly more "program" memory than the 3G, this helps drastically. With backgrounder + kirikae running, along with SBSettings, I find overall operation quicker.

Short version: 3GS handles multitasking EASILY.
Glad to hear it. Good for you, though I have the 3G only. Although I have read that the new versions of the 3GS cannot be jailbroken anymore. Sure, somebody will come up a solution some day. But why must Apple put the chains on its users? Hope it will backfire and they will wake up.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
belfastbiker
belfastbiker began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, Kindle 3, Mac, PC
Quote:
But why must Apple put the chains on its users? Hope it will backfire and they will wake up.
I could not agree more.

And I should not have to jump through hoops (although feels easy now) to get Kindle iphone working in UK, or US iTunes working in UK....
belfastbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Wintersdark
Wintersdark began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
I've an iPhone 3G running 3.1.2 jailbroken.

I've always used the devteam's jailbreaking tools (quickpwn originally, followed by redsn0w), but geohot's blackra1n was without a doubt the fastest and easiest jailbreak yet. It's very, very simple. Note some people had trouble with the early releases of it (RC1 and RC2) but the latest one currently available on www.blackra1n.com is very solid. Plug in your phone, open blackra1n and click the button, 15 seconds later you're done.

To ease some fears: Jailbreaking does not damage your phone. In the very worst case scenario, you can just restore to the normal apple firmware. A hassle, but not a big deal. I've never needed to do that, though, and I've jailbroken every firmware since 2.0. Concerned about your warranty? If you need to bring it in for warranty related issues, just restore it first.

So, you run Blackra1n, it'll add a "Blackra1n" app to your springboard. Run that, and install Cydia. Rock is faster, but not as stable. Both install apps from the same places, but Cydia's a little more tried and tested and the maintainer, Jay Freeman (Saurik) is a really great guy who's really on top of maintaining everything. You can have blackra1n install blacksn0w as well if you want to unlock your phone, too, but that's less important.

Speed? Jailbreaking does not slow down your phone, but installing Winterboard does. It's only noticable on a 3G phone. Unfortunately, Winterboard is what you need to install graphical themes. The slowing down is only in opening apps - they take an extra second or two to start up, but there's no difference while actually using them though. To me, this is a worthwhile trade off, but your mileage may vary. Personally, I can't stand the black background, and horrible gray dock thing. It's just so bland and ugly, but to each their own.

As to battery life, simply jailbreaking does not affect it. Apps you install certainly can, though this is always the case. I've found that I get much better battery life while jailbroken than I do otherwise because of the control that SBSettings provides: It's a quick finger swipe to change screen brightness, enable/disable 3G/WiFi/Bluetooth/etc, even inside apps. That alone took my iphone from lasting one day per charge to 3-4 days - I turn off 3G and WiFi when I'm not using them. You can do that with Settings on a virgin phone, but it's a huge hassle and obviously cannot be done inside apps.

Finally, if you have a 3GS phone, it's possible in the future Apple may release firmwares that cannot be jailbroken or unlocked, and on the 3GS you cannot freely downgrade firmwares to older ones (that can be jailbroken, like 3.1.2). If you jailbreak, and run Cydia, it will save your firmware key (phone specific code) so that you can freely downgrade to 3.1.2 in the future should you so decide to. You may not want to unlock your phone now, but the capacity to do so in the future can enormously increase it's selling value later.
Wintersdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have 3G 3.0, jailbroken and unlock by Redsn0w and Ultras0w for several months; also install winterboard, sbsetting, backgrounder, etc. So far so good and do not plan to upgrade to 3.1.2.

Most essential tool relating to ebooks is iPhonebrowser for copying mobi/prc from my desktop to iPhone.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote