Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Kindle 2 video review

Hi guys and gals, we've posted a video review of the Kindle 2 that focuses on demonstrating the text-to-speech voices and comparing it to the Sony Reader PRS-505 and PRS-700. It will take a few days to finish the full written review (I've got to read Ur first ), but in the meanwhile hope you enjoy.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=32750
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, MobileTechReview.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The male voice sounds incredibly good and easy to understand. Thanks for the review.
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Indeed! I was pleasantly shocked to hear something so natural by machine standards. It's really listen-able and it even did a great job with a variety of African place names and etc. mentioned in the NY Times article we had it read aloud. Imagine, it pronounced Swahili correctly...
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
TanZANneeA
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Thanks for the review. I noticed you said that the screen is whiter on the Sony product. It isn't, actually. It's the same screen. This is why I'm really not a fan of the white case on the Kindle. It throws so much light back at you, it lessens the contrast of the screen. It looks more grey on the Kindle. I notice the same thing looking at a silver Sony 505 versus the navy model. That's why I have a skin on mine. It's a shame because I prefer the feel of the Kindle case material and I'd rather not have the gloss or the pattern on the skin. However I do appreciate having all that white covered up.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
does the text to voice pronounce naughty words ? just curious
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
yep it sure does lol
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

I don't think they're the same screens given the different specs: 16 grayscale shades on the Kindle 2 and 8 on the Sony 505. The original Kindle had the same (or quite close) screen as the 505. My SLR camera meters the 2 screens (with spot metering on the display not bezel) differently too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Thanks for the review. I noticed you said that the screen is whiter on the Sony product. It isn't, actually. It's the same screen. This is why I'm really not a fan of the white case on the Kindle. It throws so much light back at you, it lessens the contrast of the screen. It looks more grey on the Kindle. I notice the same thing looking at a silver Sony 505 versus the navy model. That's why I have a skin on mine. It's a shame because I prefer the feel of the Kindle case material and I'd rather not have the gloss or the pattern on the skin. However I do appreciate having all that white covered up.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I don't think they're the same screens given the different specs: 16 grayscale shades on the Kindle 2 and 8 on the Sony 505.
There is quite a bit of variation between EInk screens even on the same kind of device. The Sony and Kindle probably are using the same screen (both from PVI), and they are using the same controller. I'm not sure why Sony did not upgrade from 8 to 16 grey levels on the PRS-700. It seems likely that all future devices using the Epson controller will have 16 grey levels. The controller on the Kindle 1 only supported 4 grey levels, so 8 or 16 was not an option for it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I don't think they're the same screens given the different specs: 16 grayscale shades on the Kindle 2 and 8 on the Sony 505. The original Kindle had the same (or quite close) screen as the 505. My SLR camera meters the 2 screens (with spot metering on the display not bezel) differently too.
Number of grayscales is a function of the controller. There may be some individual variation between individual units but they're the same Viziplex generation screen component from PVI.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Here's a comparison taken in the studio with a dSLR: Sony 505 and Kindle 2. Extreme close up but with the bezels covered with white foam core to reduce the influence of color reflection. Both units had the same spot in the room for the photo, with abundant natural lighting.

It's not a huge difference and wouldn't lead me to buy or recommend one over the other, but it is noticeable. Of course, the Sony PRS-700 looks sad next to either of them *sigh*
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
It's not a huge difference and wouldn't lead me to buy or recommend one over the other, but it is noticeable.
Could this possibly be due to variation in the screens produced by the vendor, rather than differences between the two devices? (i.e., I don't know the manufacturing/QC tolerances involved.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Our other 505 looks identical to the one used for the photo, so I don't think the variation is among the Sony readers. However, we don't have another Kindle 2 handy-- one drawback of not being able to hit the local store to check them out.

Again, it is a pretty small difference. Looking at the two side by side you can see it, but it's not in any way as pronounced as the difference between the PRS-500 and 505 for example. My senior editor didn't even see the difference (she was too busy being enamored by the Kindle 2's nicer font!). I am in contrast a stickler for whiter grays .