Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Jakodai
Jakodai began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
DRM Formats on Hanlin V3

Hi All,

I just purchased a Hanlin V3 online today, and I'm expecting it tomorrow. I want to purchase an eBook to read on it, but it's only available in the following formats:
  • Adobe ePub
  • Adobe Digital Edition
  • Microsoft Reader
  • eReader

What are my options?

I believe that the Hanlin V3 doesn't support DRM'd ePubs, so that's out of the question. I'm guessing my only option would be to remove DRM & convert to another format?

Is it possible to remove the DRM from LIT / Microsoft Reader files, then I can just put it on the Hanlin, correct?

Sorry, I'm relatively new to the eBook world...
Jakodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Jakodai

It's OK - I think I have answered my own question...
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Hanlin does read DRM-free LIT, so that may be your best option (strip the DRM with "ConvertLIT GUI"). However, you may find that format shifting the LIT to FB2 or MOBI (e.g. using Book Designer will work better on the Hanlin.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Jakodai

That's great - thanks wallcraft.

I was going to strip the DRM using ConvertLIT, however I didn't know about Book Designer - will certainly give that a shot!

Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi again Jakodai,

I'll check your order's status in the morning (at DA Direct) and I'll let you know when your HanLin was/will be despatched. Sometimes, it can take a couple of days to receive and process website orders. Good news is that I know we have HanLins in stock at Mitcham! I know you must be anxious to receive it as soon as possible.

We won't charge your card until your HanLin is ready for despatch.

And... thank you very much for your order!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure that the book you want isn't available in Secure MobiPocket format? It would be very unusual for it to be available in the formats you list, and not also in Mobi format. The V3 can read Secure Mobi directly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Harry at the moment it does not seem at all odd that books aren't available in Mobi. I don't know what is going on in the industry, but check out Kurt's response to my post asking what is wrong with Books on Board. I will revert to buying books in Lit and remove DRM (which is legal in Australia. I have found that with the latest firmware update for BeBook (Hanlin clone) that these books work very nicely on the BeBook.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi Jakodai, I've sent you an email. Your card has been debited today and your HanLin is on its way. You should receive it tomorrow (Friday).

I hope you'll write a HanLin review once you've become familiar with it!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Jakodai

So I had a little trouble removing the DRM from the free trial LIT file using ConvertLIT GUI, MS Reader kept terminating (as opposed to just closing nicely...), and even though most of the key was being retrieved successfully, it still wasn't successfully downconverting. I then 'Extracted' instead and ended up with a HTML file, which I didn't particularly want. I would have preferred the de-DRM'd LIT file. I was just going to go along with all of this, when I found that Cyber Read have the Mobi file. I was a bit dissapointed because Cyber Read had the book at about twice the price of Books on Board, but when I found 40% coupon that book_addict posted, so while it's still a LITTLE more expensive, it's still much better.

However, if anyone can point out what I may have done wrong with ConvertLIT, please let me know, just in case I need to do this in future. I also tried using the 'main' version (as opposed to the GUI one) and I only ended up with the HTML output, but I couldn't find any way of selecting what format I wanted. Basically, I still want the LIT file, just without the DRM...

Thanks for all of your wonderful help everyone!

ETA - I think I figured out what I did wrong... I didn't actually run it from Command Prompt, I double-clicked and it came up with a dialog box. I'll play around with it again tonight.

Last edited by Jakodai; 01-14-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakodai View Post
So I had a little trouble removing the DRM from the free trial LIT file using ConvertLIT GUI, MS Reader kept terminating (as opposed to just closing nicely...), and even though most of the key was being retrieved successfully, it still wasn't successfully downconverting. I then 'Extracted' instead and ended up with a HTML file, which I didn't particularly want. I would have preferred the de-DRM'd LIT file.
There is no need to have MS Reader open once the LIT file is downloaded to your PC. If the "Extract" option worked, then the LIT has been downconverted as part of this process. So it may be the case that the explicit downconvert also worked without you being aware of this. Depending on what options you selected, the downconverted LIT file might be in another directory or have 'downconverted' added to its filename.

Note that "ConvertLIT GUI" is an add-on to ConvertLIT. I'm not sure from your description which you have (original or the GUI add-on). Both should work, but the GUI version is a bit easier to use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Jakodai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is no need to have MS Reader open once the LIT file is downloaded to your PC. If the "Extract" option worked, then the LIT has been downconverted as part of this process. So it may be the case that the explicit downconvert also worked without you being aware of this. Depending on what options you selected, the downconverted LIT file might be in another directory or have 'downconverted' added to its filename.
The key tool (sorry, I can't remember it's name off the top of my head) automatically opens MS Reader for you to select the book that you want the key for, when I select the book, most of the time I get the success message but not always, and the MS Terminates. When I run ConvertLIT GUI and downconvert I get a message saying that downcovert wasn't successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that "ConvertLIT GUI" is an add-on to ConvertLIT. I'm not sure from your description which you have (original or the GUI add-on). Both should work, but the GUI version is a bit easier to use.
I'm tried both. I tried the GUI first, but couldn't get it working, so I tried the 'bare' version.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The key tool (sorry, I can't remember it's name off the top of my head) automatically opens MS Reader for you to select the book that you want the key for, when I select the book, most of the time I get the success message but not always, and the MS Terminates.
You actually only need to do this once. Once you have the key that is associated with your MS registration you never need to do that step again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Jakodai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You actually only need to do this once. Once you have the key that is associated with your MS registration you never need to do that step again.
BOb
OK... so the key is for MS Reader and NOT for the book?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
OK... so the key is for MS Reader and NOT for the book?
Yes. Please read the "readme" file in the "ConvertLIT" ZIP file - it's all clearly explained there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote