Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #31
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well, Sony put up this press release today ....

Don't get too excited, it's not what you're hoping for.
That's basically what I was saying in my original message when I said if it's about some guy sitting in a store front reading a book, then really, whoop-d-doo.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well since the hype is for a 10/2 event and this is only the 10/1 thing, I think it's a safe guess that they're not the same thing.
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well, Sony put up this press release today ....

Don't get too excited, it's not what you're hoping for.
I don't see any info on how schools can sign up. Can you direct me there? I want to get the school my wife substitutes signed up.

BOb
Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid I don't know any more than what's in the press release ... actually, I didn't read it all that carefully since we'd already been discussing it here, so you probably know more than I do.

Nonetheless, I'll see if I can kick over a rock or two and turn up anything.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:44 AM   #35
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
Sony indicates the announcement "open(s) a new chapter in digital reading" - for whatever that means. Some commentators indicate it might be one of the following:

A major upgrade to the firmware allowing it to read mobipocket and other formats
We just got a firmware update, so I rather doubt that is it

A deal with a major publishing house to dramatically increase their store content
That is a possibility, but not such a big deal to warrant this buildup

A deal with one or more major newspapers
Again wouldnt warrant all the pre-announcement hype

Distribution via more outlets such as their recent deal with Target
Doesn't sound like what their pre-announcement phrasing would indicate

None of those sound particularly worthy of the buildup Sony seems to be giving this. My bet would be for a new device as has been suggested by others here - to make an already great product more competitive with the Kindle in terms of WiFi access for downloading books, Wikipaedia, built-in dictionary, search capability, etc - possibly even a larger eInk screen.

But we will all know within 24 hours. Regardless of what it might be, we all still love our Sony.

Well back to "Basil" by Wilke Collins.

Bob

i'm still hoping for new and exciting devices. But looking at the titles swirling into that women's reader like "eat this, not that. Twillight", it certainly looks like some wireless new bookstore thingie with newer books.....
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #36
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I afraid it will be just relaunching of Sony book store.
I hope I am wrong but ...

Anyway we will see soon.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #37
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
Guess this is it?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/37588.html
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #38
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
See NatCh's post #32.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #39
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The link above is the same than the link about the press release at the beginning of the page, so we're still in the dark.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #40
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Gosh, Im waiting with baited breath......though this has just been added to the Sony site
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ngId=-1#/home/

and that is to do with the 'Reader revolution' and promoting in schools etc....

please let it be more than this.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #41
Fog Dog
Fog Dog began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Any chance that a New York forum member can attend the press conference with a video camera and then post to YouTube?

And this only applies if it is something interesting. If it is the school thing or some other b.s. announcement, no need to bother.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Dog View Post
Any chance that a New York forum member can attend the press conference ....
The event is by invitation only, in fact, the location isn't even known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't see any info on how schools can sign up. Can you direct me there? I want to get the school my wife substitutes signed up.
I was able to come up with an answer to this, they kinda hid it.

Go to the sony.com/reader page, and do the demo thing in the main window there. At the end of it there's a place to fill in schools, but they also want contact info for the person filling them in.

As an aside, the box in the lower, right-hand corner of that page goes to a live web-cam of the guy reading in the store window. Riveting stuff, that is.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #43
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The event is by invitation only, in fact, the location isn't even known.

Huh?? I'm trying to grasp at that one, NatCh, but find only undisturbed air. Is this going to be a web event but only for those with an invitation? Or a teleconference? Or will a well-dressed guy pull up to the curb in front in a limo to whisk the invitee away to a secret location?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
We weren't actually told to keep the location a secret, but since Sony hasn't announced it we decided to err on the side of caution.

I'll tell you after the event begins. It's at a rather neat location in NYC.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #45
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Ah, so the location is known to the attendees. Gotcha. Sounds intriguing. Hope you enjoy it, Nate.
Closed Thread