Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis, iphones, android, old kindles, fire phoned
Audible.com 1/2 price sale, about 1000 audiobook titles

In case anyone is interested....

Not all the audiobooks on the site, just about 1000 they've picked as representative of their categories. Some very nice choices (several Orson Scott Card titles, several Neal Stephenson books, Alex Haley, Alan Greenspan)....writers of similar stature in all categories.

I believe the sale is members-only, but I think that means you only have to sign up for a login. It might mean you need a current subscription. Since I have a subscription, I get the sale offer, can't tell if people without subscriptions who create logins will also get the offer.

They state the sale goes on for 1 week, but I don't know when the week began or will end. I have emailed them to ask.
f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I have an account, but not a subscription. From what it's showing me, it looks like they're defining "Membership" as "Subscription Holders." Still it's a good catch, especially for those who might be wavering on whether to subscribe or not. Thanks for pointing it out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

If you are into audiobooks and have the time to listen to more than a few a year, the subscription service at audible is awesome. 1 or 2 books a month, or if you go thru them fast, buy a year subscription, use it up as fast as you wish, and then buy another year's subscription immediately. Would be amazing for truckers and other all-day drivers, people who could work safely and effectively with headphones or a speaker and some level of attention on the book, and those with vision or reading issues.

A subscription usually gets you 1 or 2 books a month at about $11-13 a book, depending on your exact plan. The newer plans are a bit more expensive, but also offer a little more flexibility....your monthly selections `run over' to the next few months like att's wireless minutes do. Audiobooks purchased new can easily cost $50 or more before the standard discounts, and even on Ebay or used at local bookstores they can be pricy for anything on cd or unabridged. So the audible pricing is pretty nice. The selection is good but not fantastic. (major omissions: the Harry Potter series and Tolkien's Hobbit and LOTR series, tho for the latter they do have both US and UK dramatized versions. Both Rowling and the Tolkien trust refuse to grant US digital rights to audible.)

Audible.com has, in the past, made an awesome additional offer....you used to be able to get $100 off on an Ipod or a number of other devices that play audible.com files (pda's, some gps devices, as well as the major mp3 players) if you agreed to a year's subscription, paid monthly. (That deal was only available to new subscribers, 1 offer per household.) Audible partnered first with mobileplanet and later with Amazon to fulfill these offers, hence no Iphone offer since Amazon doesn't sell the Iphone.

Early this year Amazon, who had long partnered with audible.com, purchased audible.com outright. Since then, the "$100 off an Ipod or audible-ready device" offer appeared for a month, then vanished. I suspect it will show up now and then as a promo. It only can be used on products Amazon sells (and only on the devices Amazon chooses to offer the promo with), and was never available for use with the Kindle. If Amazon decides to repeat that promo, perhaps next time the Kindle will be on the device list.

If you find this offer live and want to take advantage of it <<<Very Important>>> *don't* subscribe to or create a login at audible.com online. Get the audible.com phone number off their web page and call Customer Service instead. Tell the rep you want to subscribe and want to make sure you get to get the audible.com player of your preference with the $100 discount. The rep will guide you thru all that. The reps at audible.com are pretty good.

To see if the "$100 off that Ipod or other device you want" offer is current, two ways to check.

#1 Go to audible.com. Don't log in, or make sure you are logged out. Click on BROWSE AUDIO. New page, click on DEVICE CENTER. On whatever device you want, click on LEARN MORE under the Special Offers heading. An Amazon window will open, choose your device, and look thru the page to see if there is a savings associated with an audible.com subscription.

#2 Go to Amazon.com. Search in the general search field for the term `audibleready'. See if any of the devices you like have the offer on their page.

I think there was once a way to research this promo on Amazon by going to a promo help site on Amazon and searching for `audible.com'. Can't remember.

Anyone let me know if they find out more about the $100 off a device offer. It would be awesome to combine an audible sub with a Kindle discount.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
FYI: Amazon own Audible.com; it is not a partner but a corporate parent.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
f00l
aka bad typist

I think audible.com and amazon were partners (in device sales and downloadable audiobook sales) until earlier this year. I think the amazon purchase of audible completed quite recently, perhaps March or early April? Not sure.

Anyway, when I got my audible-discounted Ipod from amazon years ago, it was a partnership marketing agreement between the two companies, as were the amazon sales of audible products then. I suspect that part of their arrangement won't show a change visible to the casual shopper for some while.

I would love to see audible's web site get rid of the all javascript and useless timeouts when a visitor isn't even logged in, just book searching....if amazon took over audible's web design and re-wrote the very flawed audible product search engine, all to the good. I would also love addition promotional discounts between the sites.

But....part of me twinges when amazon eats the universe. Soon, just amazon, google, microsoft, newscorp, apple (as the obvious counter-example), walmart, ebay, bank of america....a few allowed competitors.....a few foreign sites....a few affiliates.....and many nearly powerless consumers.

"Oh, brave new world!"
"'Tis new to thee."
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I am a member but not a subscriber and I see the 1/2 price sale on the site. I pay a small fee once a year and can then buy discounted audio books but I don't have any quota or monthly fee.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote