Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
I wonder why getting eReader is so hard to negotiate?
I'm guess you have to pay to license it. Which doesn't make sense to me since eReader would sell more books if more devices supported it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #17
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm guess you have to pay to license it. Which doesn't make sense to me since eReader would sell more books if more devices supported it.

BOb
Yeah, but you have to pay to license everything else as well.

eReader seems to be doing pretty well in the sales department. Their parent company, Fictionwise, boasts 40,000 e-book sales per month. (I know because I was looking to get my children's e-book listed.) Even if eReader only did half that volume, they must have been attractive to Fictionwise to buy for something.

Unless they are more expensive to license than say Windows Vista, I can't see any company not wanting to make sure their e-reading device has the maximum opportunity to sell.

CyBook has Mobipocket support. Sony went it alone with a proprietary software as did Amazon.

For all the other folks in the game, they've had to pony up the cash for the license or risk sitting on the sidelines until their game is over because their device can't do as much as the others can.
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
CyBook has Mobipocket support. Sony went it alone with a proprietary software as did Amazon.
Amazon do actually use MobiPocket - but with their own private DRM server (which is why no other device can use Kindle books). The Kindle supports another book format called "Topaz", but the overwhelming majority of their books use MobiPocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon do actually use MobiPocket - but with their own private DRM server (which is why no other device can use Kindle books). The Kindle supports another book format called "Topaz", but the overwhelming majority of their books use MobiPocket format.
One problem is that unless you own a Kindle, you cannot purchase Kindle format eBooks. And what I think is a major flaw enough so that buying a Kindle is a really really bad idea is that you cannot read Kindle eBooks on any computer. So if your Kindle has to go in for repair or you loan it to someone, you cannot read any of your eBooks. Not having the ability to read on a computer makes the Kindle $400 worth of nothing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks for the great review .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem is that unless you own a Kindle, you cannot purchase Kindle format eBooks. And what I think is a major flaw enough so that buying a Kindle is a really really bad idea is that you cannot read Kindle eBooks on any computer. So if your Kindle has to go in for repair or you loan it to someone, you cannot read any of your eBooks. Not having the ability to read on a computer makes the Kindle $400 worth of nothing.
Amazon don't offer a repair service for the Kindle. If it breaks, and it's not under warranty, it's worthless. That would be a major factor in my buying decision, if I were able to buy a Kindle. Both Sony and Bookeen offer repairs - eg Bookeen charge €120 to replace a broken screen - under half the cost of a new machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermole View Post
Thanks for the great review .
Your welcome. Glad you liked it.

BOb
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #23
doug38
doug38 began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook or Aluratek Libre
Very good and helpful review, PilotBob. I returned mine after having the following three problems.
1) lack of reflow for PDFs. One hates to scroll back and forth to read a PDF, even in landscape mode. Otherwise the print is way too small.
2) laborious text-entry to search a word or phrase in an ebook. I know the word or phrase is in there, somewhere, but it takes a lot of time and energy to enter text for searching.
3) lack of full-page formatting for Gutenburg .txt files. Maybe it's simple to lots of ebook users, but I'm a beginner and don't know how to get rid of those millions of line-breaks to allow the lines to fill-up the display within a paragraph.
Finally, I agree on the high price and the limited use of only PDFs or TXTs for ebooks. Being able to use Mobipocket or etc. would help, also.
doug38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
rpresser
rpresser has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ebookwise1150, Treo 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely - I used to have a Sony myself, and have no issues about converting other formats to LRF; there are excellent tools available for doing so.

The problem with the Jetbook, though, is that really all you can convert to is text (I don't know of any tools for converting, say, LIT or Mobi to PDF - do you?) and plain text is horribly limiting, in that you lose all the formatting. If it supported, say, basic HTML rather than text, then it would be 1000x better!
After you convert whatever to basic HTML, simply open the HTML in your browser and print to PDF, using PDFCreator or any of its competitors.
rpresser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

It appears you can get a black Jetbook for $198 including shipping from Newegg. This is actually a price to get excited about for this unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723001

BOb
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #26
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It appears you can get a black Jetbook for $198 including shipping from Newegg. This is actually a price to get excited about for this unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723001

BOb
Wow, I will buy the second one for such a price!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #27
Boyodublin
Enthusiast
Boyodublin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Jetbook on Sale for $179

Frys website has this unit on sale today for $179!!
Boyodublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #28
bornmw
bornmw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyodublin View Post
Frys website has this unit on sale today for $179!!
Couldn't resist the price and got one.
Are there any forums available devoted to jetBook (or its prototype from China), its s/w, apps development etc?
bornmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmw View Post
Couldn't resist the price and got one.
Are there any forums available devoted to jetBook (or its prototype from China), its s/w, apps development etc?
You can search by keyword jetbook on this forum to find more information about this model. I see that it is available on NewEgg for $289.99 now
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
You can search by keyword jetbook on this forum to find more information about this model. I see that it is available on NewEgg for $289.99 now
Or look in the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote