Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
mihnas
mihnas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350 / Kobo mini
looking for an e-reader ... (what a surprise)

Hey there !

My mother in law gave me the mission to find the perfect e-reader for her.

she wants one with a light, and it should be "user friendly" or "e-reader for the noobs",

By experience I love Sony but hate Kobo

What I really like with the sony is that it deals very well with the tags or series, so you get a well organized librairie in your reader.
And then it's quite easy to find a book.

But the new sony T3 doesn't have the built in light, it comes extra, so I was wondering if the extra light was "confortable" when you're reading ?

For the Kobo, thought I can read super positive review , NO WAY, when I got the Kobo mini it took me half day to get it working (I had to reset it 3 ou 4 times). It drove me crazy to get i.e the "Games of thrones" serie in one bookshelf with the books organized not by title but by order in the serie.
in the end it worked but it's not so easy.

Then there is the Kindle PW2 and the Pocket book touch lux

so some questions about these 2 :

how is the user interface ? the handling of the collections / series ?

I know that when you buy a book on amazon it's loading directly on the kindle, which is good for a low-tech like my mother in law, but is it easy to find it afterward on the reader in the middle of other books which might not come from Amazon ?

thanks for your comments , suggestions, answers

Ps : excuse my english, I'm french
mihnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a T3 with the built in light in the cover. I also have an Aura HD and a Kobo mini. I much prefer the T3 and while I use the mini for when I am out and about, I haven't touched the Aura HD for weeks.

The Kobo/kindle lights are handier in a way, but I find the light hard on my eyes.

The Kobo collections work much like the Sony ones but are much slower. IMO kindle does not have good collection support but most people seem happy with them, so I could be wrong.

And while you can buy books easier on the kindle you can borrow library books easier on the Sony.

(Guess you can tell I am in favour of the Sony) but I am sure she would be happy enough with any.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The PocketBook Touch Lux is an excellent reader (in my opinion one of the best there is currently), but probably not the best choice for a 'low-tech' person because of the multitude of options it offers.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The light is far better (more even and highly adjustable) on the built in readers like the Paperwhite & latest Kobos, but there are still some people who prefer not to have the built in light, and it does add an extra layer and therefore has a very slight impact on the screen. Personally, I think the positives of the built in light far outweigh the downsides and I don't think I would go back to a non-lighted reader.

However, if you like the way the Sony deals with collections, none of the others match it in that respect. So if that is a big issue, you'll need to decide which is the more important feature of the two?

You can do things to try and improve the collections on the Paperwhite, and with both the Kobo and the Paperwhite (and Sony too for that matter) you can use plugboards in Calibre to add the series title and/or number to your book title to make them easier to sort and locate, but especially for a low-tech user, nothing will beat the simplicity of the Sony and tags to automatically create and sort the books in collections.

Personally, I found the Sony creates too many collections because of this, and now on my Paperwhite I've stopped using them altogether and just sort my books alphabetically by author to make it easy to find the ones I want to read.

The Kindle is probably the easiest for a low tech user, once it is set up and connected to your Amazon account, it is very easy to buy books and get them sent direct to the Kindle. And you can even do things like email books not bought from Amazon to your Kindle email address and load them that way.

Although one point in favour of the Sony here too in that if you are in the USA and your mother-in-law is likely to borrow library books, this is easiest on the Sony.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you live in the USA it is very easy to check out library books from OverDrive on the Kindle too. I have been told you can do it directly from the device if you have a Sony, but any other epub ereader will be using Adobe Digital Editions with the PC as a go-between. On a Kindle you can check out from OverDrive with a link to your Amazon account, and the book then acts like any Amazon-bought book, until the loan expires.

I don't know how easy this is in comparison to the Sony, but it IS really, really easy on any Kindle. Assuming you use a US library system, as no other country currently (as far as I'm aware) offers Kindle books through OverDrive.

The Kindles also have the advantage of being super-easy to use, with rock-solid firmware, so you will probably never have to deal with issues.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No external light even begins to compare with the readability of a frontlit reader, to my mind. I'm a big fan of the Kindle. Amazon have the best bookstore, and the greatest ease of buying, and their customer service is unparalleled. The only area where the Kindle falls short is collection management, although I don't personally use collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If she wants ease of use and low tech, get her the Kindle Paperwhite.

As for the Sony with the collections and tags, that is all going to be way to techy for a low tech person. (And by the way, the Kobo is just as good at tag collections as the Sony, if not better).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
mihnas
mihnas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350 / Kobo mini
hey !

Thanks for your answers,

I think I'll go for the Kindle, for the light and the easy book transfert. The collection management is important for me but probably not so much for my mother in law.
(Gosh it's hard to choose something not on what You want but on what the other wants ^^)
If it was for me , I would stay with Sony or go with Pocket book.

and I'll have to be ready to play "Kindle helpdesk" after TV & Smartphone ;=)

Enjoy your readings !
mihnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good choice. That is what I would get for my mother in law.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
As for the Sony with the collections and tags, that is all going to be way to techy for a low tech person. (And by the way, the Kobo is just as good at tag collections as the Sony, if not better).
So the Kobo just uses the tags and automatically creates collection and places the books in them too (albeit in shelves and not collections)? I knew the Kobo was better than the Kindle for working with Calibre to organise your books without having to do any hacks, wasn't aware it was just the same as the Sony though.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
So the Kobo just uses the tags and automatically creates collection and places the books in them too (albeit in shelves and not collections)? I knew the Kobo was better than the Kindle for working with Calibre to organise your books without having to do any hacks, wasn't aware it was just the same as the Sony though.
No but neither do the Sonys. The Calibre drivers for both offer those options however.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Yes, as stated, the tags become shelves with Calibre's help. I had a Sony T1, and now I have Kobo Glo/Mini, and one is just as incredibly easy to use with Calibre creating shelves as the other. I don't know of any other reader that has that same ability.

(Although with the Kobo, it works a little better....the Sony caused 2 shelves with the same name, if some of the books were on the card and some on main. The Kobo doesn't duplicate them that way).
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
PW is very easy to borrow library books on too, if you're in the US.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
PW is very easy to borrow library books on too, if you're in the US.
Not just the PW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you live in the USA it is very easy to check out library books from OverDrive on the Kindle too. I have been told you can do it directly from the device if you have a Sony, but any other epub ereader will be using Adobe Digital Editions with the PC as a go-between. On a Kindle you can check out from OverDrive with a link to your Amazon account, and the book then acts like any Amazon-bought book, until the loan expires.

I don't know how easy this is in comparison to the Sony, but it IS really, really easy on any Kindle. Assuming you use a US library system, as no other country currently (as far as I'm aware) offers Kindle books through OverDrive.

The Kindles also have the advantage of being super-easy to use, with rock-solid firmware, so you will probably never have to deal with issues.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've decided to try to convince my mother in law to use an ereader. I think my Kindle Touch would be the best for her, but I am going to offer her the choice between that and a Kindle Fire HD 2013 (when it gets here). For a person who's never even used a computer, I think the Kindle Touch would be the better choice, but when I mentioned it, she wanted to know if it could go on the internet So I immediately looked and found a good deal on the Fire. Here's hoping she'll take the Touch and I'll keep the Fire But either way, I'll get to play with it