Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
mikev
mikev began at the beginning.

Device: ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader
ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader

Lightweight and super-portable, ECTACO jetBook is the ultimate pocket library. Capable of storing thousands of books in the world’s most popular languages, plus music and picture files, it is a universal mobile library for professional, business and leisure reading. With an easy to scan high-resolution 5-inch display and a viewing angle close to 180°, it is fully customizable. Even readers who have difficulty seeing print books will benefit from its adjustable text size and font face. And weighing in at only 7,5 ounces, this handy device fits perfectly into the palm of your hand.
When reading, jetBook allows text to be searched and cross-referenced using bookmarks which makes it an excellent choice of format for dictionaries and other reference books. And any text benefits from the pre-loaded English <-> Russian, English <-> Polish, and English explanatory dictionaries that allow you to select any word for translation to help build your foreign language vocabulary.

Readers can begin reading as soon as they download a book without needing to visit a bookstore ever again. And ECTACO jetBook is eco-friendly too, because it doesn’t consume the paper, ink, or other resources that are used to produce printed books. In addition, e-books are almost always cheaper than the same books on paper, with thousands available online absolutely free!

jetBook features include:

Support for e-Book contents in Russian, Polish, English, Spanish and other languages
Bookmarks and auto page turn functionality
Adjustable font type and size
Screen rotation support for both portrait & landscape modes
Built-in English <-> Russian, English <-> Polish, and English explanatory dictionaries
Built-in MP3 player that supports background playback
The ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader supports .txt, .pdf and .jpg file formats
SD card slot
Internal Li-ion polymer battery

http://www.ectaco.cz/ectaco_dictiona...ader/index.htm
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can one purchase a current bestselling eBook in any format to read on the jetBook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Olympus
Connoisseur
Olympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket & Bookeen CyGen 3
Reading the advertisement I conclude from the 20H battery life that this is NOT an e-ink device.
Both my "red flags" come up when I see a "russian" site to order something - I would never order tis device however I do like the Landscape/Portrait rotation option and the additional page-flipping buttons
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is not an eink screen. It's an LCD screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
This looks like a M218A.

Olympus, there is a .co.uk version of the site here
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
This looks like a M218A.

Olympus, there is a .co.uk version of the site here
Another thread on this device? We have had two previously. It is fully covered in the wiki based on earlier posts.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It should be rather obvious that mikev works for ECTACO. Welcome to MobileRead, Mike.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It should be rather obvious that mikev works for ECTACO. Welcome to MobileRead, Mike.
Sure, I just checked and there were actually 4 prior threads. Not exactly news is it? Welcome mikev, we've covered your stuff pretty well I think. Please check the wiki and correct any errors. Hope you can answer some questions about the product such as when will it get a real eBook reader application installed that can read any of the standard eBook formats?

Dale
Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is not an eink screen. It's an LCD screen.
It is not just another LCD screen either. It is a reflective LCD screen similar to the one used on OLPC but probably not exactly the same. It is intended to compete head to head with e-Ink. Similar ppi, more contrast, faster page turns.

Dale
Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #10
mikev
mikev began at the beginning.

Device: ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader
Thank you, guys!!
Now we work above expansion of readable formats in ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader
and as soon as there will be updatings, we shall let know to you at this forum.
Also if some of you want to see ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader in all screen click here, than this gallery will be increase:
http://www.cz-slovnik.cz/ectaco_jetb...picture_1.html
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I am getting a review JetBook unit from ECTACO for 30 days. I will hope to be able to test drive it, take some photos and video.

My question is, is there any specific info you would like to know about this device. If so, I will try to hit that topic and include it in my review.

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I am getting a review JetBook unit from ECTACO for 30 days. I will hope to be able to test drive it, take some photos and video.

My question is, is there any specific info you would like to know about this device. If so, I will try to hit that topic and include it in my review.

Thanks,
BOb
A comparision to the M218 would be good. They're probably exactly the same devices, but even so, a comparision would be interesting.

I realise you probably don't have a M218, but Nate the Great did a pretty decent writeup here....
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK,

I have been playing with the Jetbook unit I have. It's actually pretty nice.

I'd really like to be able to load this thing up with books to test the folder navigation when there are alot of books on it. Does anyone know where I can download .txt ebooks in bulk. I know I can go to manybooks.net but I only seem to be able to d/l one at a time. I also know there are CD collections but don't have time to wait a week for one to come on order.

Also, does anyone have any PDF's eBooks that are tagged so I can test the PDF reader, see if it will flow the text.

Thanks,
BOb
Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Does anyone know where I can download .txt ebooks in bulk.
At the risk of seeming like a jerk for being brutally obvious: did you try project Gutenberg?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, little poll here. I was planning on doing a text based review with a bunch of pictures. But, I was thinking I could do some video tours of the unit. However, I don't have a video camera.

Do people think videos of the unit demoing its features would be worth while... or would a textual explaination be enough. (The voice would be in English).

BOb

Tags
dictionary, ectaco, jetbook