Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I thought about upgrading but since I have yet to use my HD to close to it's full potential, I decided to wait for the next gen in 2014 or whenever it comes out. I did upgrade my paperwhite though, now that one I am anxious for.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
According to the "Kindle Fire Device and Feature Specifications" list (for developers) here, the new HD 7" has a Dual Core TI OMAP4 (4470) HS, 1.5 GHz CPU, which is the same as last year's HD 8.9". As you stated, last year's HD 7" had a Dual Core TI OMAP4 (4460) HS, 1.2 GHz CPU.
Thanks for that link. Nice to see "real" specs for the Fires. I thought about that possibility, but figured they just bumped the speed. Looks like I guessed wrong.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Giddeaon
Ex Libris....Vita
Giddeaon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Question about "much better options"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For those willing to buy an Android tablet outside of the Amazon ecosystem, there are much better options that run true Android rather than Amazon's forked Android.
Could you provide some examples of the Android devices you're hinting at, because even Google's flagship Nexus 7 is running hardware that is a step below what the new HDX 7"s are offering. For example - compare the CPU and GPU's...the HDX wins on both and for the most part all the other specs are roughly the same. In truth, if you look at most of the changes to the 2013 Nexus 7 (better speakers, better wifi, better screen, etc.) most of them were driven by what Amazon did last year with the HD.

I don't really see any other 7"Android tablets on the market (or shipping this month) that match or beat the KHDX, but if there are, I'd love to know what they are, especially if they are in the $250 - $300 range that Google and Amazon seemed to have set as their preferred price point.
Giddeaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddeaon View Post
Could you provide some examples of the Android devices you're hinting at, because even Google's flagship Nexus 7 is running hardware that is a step below what the new HDX 7"s are offering. For example - compare the CPU and GPU's...the HDX wins on both and for the most part all the other specs are roughly the same. In truth, if you look at most of the changes to the 2013 Nexus 7 (better speakers, better wifi, better screen, etc.) most of them were driven by what Amazon did last year with the HD.

I don't really see any other 7"Android tablets on the market (or shipping this month) that match or beat the KHDX, but if there are, I'd love to know what they are, especially if they are in the $250 - $300 range that Google and Amazon seemed to have set as their preferred price point.
Even though the CPU/GPU of the Nexus 7 is a step below the Fire HDX 7, it's still very capable and quite fast. Where the N7 shines are features it has that are lacking in the FHDX -- GPS, compass, rear cam, latest version of Android, and immediate OS upgrades. Those features are more than worth the CPU/GPU tradeoff.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not going for the new one.

I am gaming new sticks I bought and love them. The weather the past two weeks has been unbelievable. I follow the weather forecast, what golfer doesn't but it costed me instead of waiting till next season to buy.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I went and Pre-Ordered the HDX 16 7" I am using Gift Cards so it took the amount out immediately. Says I will get it on the 18th. I paid for 2 day shipping. $14 So it came to $243 all together.

Now I need a cheap case!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Free 2 day shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I went and Pre-Ordered the HDX 16 7" I am using Gift Cards so it took the amount out immediately. Says I will get it on the 18th. I paid for 2 day shipping. $14 So it came to $243 all together.

Now I need a cheap case!
If you have Prime, 2 day shipping is free and in most cases it comes in ONE DAY.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you have Prime, 2 day shipping is free and in most cases it comes in ONE DAY.
I do have Prime but it's on hubby's student account. This was paid for with Gift Cards that I earned through Swagbucks on my account so I had to pay for 2 day shipping.

I couldn't bank the money on his account he would have spent it on more Duck Dynasty stuff.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #39
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What surprises me is that no one else, who posts here regularly, appears to have ordered the 2013 KFHDX. If that can be projected, it appears Amazon sales of that product will be way under prior estimates.

Last year there were lots of folks posting their expected delivery dates for the 2012 KFHD.
There isn't much of a reason for most people to buy a KFHDX if they already have a KFHD. Those who use the KFHD out-of-the-box aren't pushing the hardware with Amazon's controlled content to the limits. They're happy with what they currently have.

Those who are most likely to push the hardware to the limits will not be enticed by improved specs and an operating system that diverges further away from stock Android. They will at least wait to see if the KFHDX can be rooted, how incompatible Fire OS is with Android apps, and the availability of alternate ROMs.

That leaves people who are pleased with the KF line of devices and are ready for an upgrade or those who have never owned a KF device.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #40
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Some reviews are out, Engadget and The Verge.

Verge doesn't like the new design and button placement.

They both say the tablet is a big upgrade over the previous and continue to knock it for not having the Google Play Store.
While I wish it did have access to Google Apps, I think by now we know going in that it doesn't...

My HDX-32GB-Wifi will be here October 18 and I have already ebay'd my Fire HD for $130.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/a...re-hdx-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/47...-review-7-inch
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Some reviews are out, Engadget and The Verge.

Verge doesn't like the new design and button placement.

They both say the tablet is a big upgrade over the previous and continue to knock it for not having the Google Play Store.
While I wish it did have access to Google Apps, I think by now we know going in that it doesn't...

My HDX-32GB-Wifi will be here October 18 and I have already ebay'd my Fire HD for $130.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/a...re-hdx-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/47...-review-7-inch
Google Play is overrated. I own two devices with Google Play and it seem with every update it takes up more space or they add additional crap to install on my devices.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Even though the CPU/GPU of the Nexus 7 is a step below the Fire HDX 7, it's still very capable and quite fast. Where the N7 shines are features it has that are lacking in the FHDX -- GPS, compass, rear cam, latest version of Android, and immediate OS upgrades. Those features are more than worth the CPU/GPU tradeoff.
Spot on!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The guy on this review said the Origami case lost it's magnetism within 3 days! I had a feeling it would wear out with the way it's designed. I am still on the look out of a case. Leaning toward Belkin's case so far. $40 is a bit much though.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #44
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, I think so too. It's the reason why I had to ditch Android. The last Google Play update made my phone completely unusable, you couldn't even make a phone call anymore.

And I don't like any of the high end devices, I broke the camera on my S2 Skyrocket, and so it left me a bad taste about Samsung's quality. And the HTC current gen handsets just don't appeal to me, neither did the Nexus 4.

So now I have a Nokia Lumia 520, great phone. Pleasant selection of apps, great camera, and lots of fun for only $99 off-contract.

Amazon's App Store is getting better. And I really think developers should take advantage of it. There's no piracy issues. and you get this nice excellent page where people can leave reviews that are actually read and rated.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, I think so too. It's the reason why I had to ditch Android. The last Google Play update made my phone completely unusable, you couldn't even make a phone call anymore.

And I don't like any of the high end devices, I broke the camera on my S2 Skyrocket, and so it left me a bad taste about Samsung's quality. And the HTC current gen handsets just don't appeal to me, neither did the Nexus 4.

So now I have a Nokia Lumia 520, great phone. Pleasant selection of apps, great camera, and lots of fun for only $99 off-contract.

Amazon's App Store is getting better. And I really think developers should take advantage of it. There's no piracy issues. and you get this nice excellent page where people can leave reviews that are actually read and rated.

I want the new Droid Mini. It's made with Gorilla glass and Kevlar body or the new LG G2. Hubby says no. I am hoping for sales during the holiday so I can get one. I have a LG Vortex and it's sooo ancient Google almost killed it. I had to downgrade to the original Market and just not use it so it stays that way. If I need an app I use the Galaxy player 5 which has both app stores on it but with 50MB of space on my phone I am at my apps limit doesn't Google understand that not everyone can have 30MB app on their phone that just sits there.