Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
315jny
315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words

Device: ipad
Question Help this poor guy!

Hello Everyone!

Can someone direct me to the cheapest but best option for a reader? I'm now house bound due to illness and as much as I would love an iPad... I will never be able to afford one. Does anyone know a good alternative for around $80?

Jason & Fun-Goo
315jny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The KT2 (All-new Kindle Basic 2015 With Touchscreen Display ) is $79.99, but currently on sale for $20 off.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
315jny
315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words315jny can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The KT2 (All-new Kindle Basic 2015 With Touchscreen Display ) is $79.99, but currently on sale for $20 off.
Can I play games on it? I really don't have the money to spend idealy I wish i hit the lotto right now.. I want something I can take to the hospital when I'm doing treatments.. not just for reading..

Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is a dedicated E-Ink reader, it is meant solely for reading. You can just as easily take this as a tablet, but you cannot play games on it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
It sounds like you should be looking a tablets, not e-ink devices. Maybe the new Kindle Fire HD 6? It's getting pretty good reviews and is a brand new model, priced a little over your budget at $99 but you can pay over 5 months at $19.80 per month. The disadvantages are that it has a small screen and has Amazon's proprietary OS which is a forked version of Android that I don't much care for but which has many fans.

Alternatively, there are many budget Android tablets within your price range. If you're in the US, check online at Amazon (search all departments, not Kindle store), Walmart, New Egg, and Tiger Direct. Check the specs and read the reviews (but with a grain of salt). Models vary widely in specs and quality and higher prices don't necessarily mean newer or better technology. I've had great success with all of these sellers in terms of low prices, warranties and returns, particularly with Amazon. Avoid stores like Best Buy and Staples, etc. They generally have poorer selections and higher prices.

I far prefer larger screen tablets and for your budget, this is probably the one I'd be considering: http://smile.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch...ywords=tablets. In fact, it looks so good for the price, I may buy one myself as a gift for my wife.

Last edited by jscarbo; 03-02-2015 at 09:23 AM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post

I far prefer larger screen tablets and for your budget, this is probably the one I'd be considering: http://smile.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch...ywords=tablets. In fact, it looks so good for the price, I may buy one myself as a gift for my wife.
the 8 GB and 1024 x 600 HD Screen would not make my list of acceptable requirements. Far better to get a Fire HD 6 (16 GB is better). The 16 GB one has gone on sale for $99 and I am sure it will again. The 8 GB has gone on sale for $79 I believe, and may be enough storage for the poster's needs.

Last edited by booklover6; 03-02-2015 at 09:55 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
315jny

thanks everyone... Do these have removable storage for upgrading room in the future?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Fires don't have an SD card slot. You need to buy as much storage as you can afford right off the bat.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a 16GB Fire HD6 and its a superb little device. If they go on sale again I can also highly recommend the older HDX7 that comes in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB sizes. I managed to get a 64GB device for £149 when they recently ran a promotion in the UK.

I was put off by the walled garden of the Amazon app store for years but tbh its not that bad and the Fires are really good for reading and playing games on. Amazon do a free app everyday and most of them are games which is great for DH. He has the HD6 and I have the HDX as i store lots of audiobooks on mine which take up storage space.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
For a budget tablet the Asus Memo Pad 7 is very good (yes i have one of those too ) and for its price (not sure in the US but in the UK its £99) its an exceptionally good 7 inch tablet with access to Google Play store.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And for around $20.00 you can find a bluetooth keyboard that works with KF as well so you can even type things up on the KF without being limited to the onscreen keyboard if you want. I got one just today (the keyboard) for just $15.00 and it works great.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Microsoft store is offering the HP Stream 7 in. Windows tablet for $79.00. Not sure how long this price will last.

I am not very experienced at inserting links. I hope I did it right. It also includes a $25 Windows Store gift card. I am tempted to try it out.

[Edited- MODERATOR]:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.308781500

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-05-2015 at 10:33 AM.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
joedirt
joedirt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+, Fire HD7
I second the Asus Memo. A tablet is what you want. From time to time I see the microcenter Winbooks on sale, they have a lot of extras that make them worth checking out.
joedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can install apps on the Fires from other sources than Amazon. You just have to enable the ability to do so in Settings.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I see that you already own an iPad.

If there's something wrong with it, it might be worthwhile to check with Apple to see how much it would cost to get it repaired.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote