Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Any good book aggregate review sites?

For movies I always go do Rotton Tomatoes for it's aggregate score of professional reviewers (unlike the non professional average score found on IMDB) before deciding to spend my time and money on a movie.

The cost for books is even greater because book takes much longer to complete. But I can't seem to find any good book aggregate review sites.

The only I have found is goodreads.com, but this site is like IMDB, it's rating is based on user score, not professional feedback.

Any recommendation would be great.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Plenty of goodreads reviewers are excellent readers and reviewers. But more important is to find reviewers who share your taste. One person's five-star review might be a 'never-read' for me; another might one-star a book that i'll love - and it's their comments that will make that clear.

My best suggestion is to cruise goodreads for reviewers who share your taste, and 'friend' them or follow their reviews. Those people's reviews will then filter to the top for other books that you look at.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There is The Complete Review website which has reviews for literary and genre works and links to newspaper and magazine reviews.

http://www.complete-review.com/main/main.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
For movies I always go do Rotton Tomatoes for it's aggregate score of professional reviewers (unlike the non professional average score found on IMDB) before deciding to spend my time and money on a movie.
AFAIK, there is no Rotten Tomatoes equivalent for books. It is badly needed.

A few public libraries subscribe to Book Review Digest Plus. I've never seen it on-line and so can't venture an opinion.

Ditto for Book Review Index.

www.realclearbooks.com is worth knowing about, but is not anything like the complete guide to signed, paid-for, reviews that I need.

Personally, I google the book title, in quotation marks, and the word review. Most of the hits will be for places trying to sell the book, but often I get lucky.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote