Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Parsons, Eliza: The Castle of Wolfenbach:. v1.1, 5 Feb 2008

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The Castle of Wolfenbach (1793) is the most famous novel written by the English Gothic novelist Eliza Parsons. First published in two volumes during 1793, it was one of the seven "horrid novels" recommended by the character Isabella Thorpe in Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey.

Quote:
“Dear creature! How much I am obliged to you; and when you have finished Udolpho, we will read the Italian together; and I have made out a list of ten or twelve more of the same kind for you.”
“Have you, indeed! How glad I am! What are they all?”
“I will read you their names directly; here they are, in my pocketbook. Castle of Wolfenbach, Clermont, Mysterious Warnings, Necromancer of the Black Forest, Midnight Bell, Orphan of the Rhine and Horrid Mysteries. Those will last us some time.”
“Yes, pretty well; but are they all horrid, are you sure they are all horrid?” – Northanger Abbey, ch. 6.
It helped establish the gothic tropes of the blameless young woman in peril, the centrality of a huge, gloomy, ancient building to the plot, the discovery of scandalous family secrets and a final confrontation between the forces of good and evil. Its resolutely anti-French Roman Catholic, pro-English Protestant sentiment is also a feature of the genre.

The novel details the adventures of Matilda Weimar, who escapes the clutches of her lecherous uncle to find sanctuary in the imposing German castle of the title. Exploring its eerie chambers she discovers a terrible secret regarding the disappearance of the Countess of the estate.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc The Castle of Wolfenbach.prc (589.5 KB, 809 views)

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 02-08-2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Fixed problem with italics add end of Text
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Interesting novel --- but I could have done with about HALF of its length. I read the first half; skimmed the next quarter .... and REALLY skipped through the last quarter. It was far too wordy for my taste! But thank you for posting it.

However, I wanted to mention: on the Kindle, at least, there is one quotation in italics .... and the italics then continue through the whole rest of the book. Perhaps other mobi-readers behave better; I don't know.

The quote is "pride saves men oft, and women too, from falling". It is rightfully (I presume) in quotes. Perhaps an "end-quotes" symbol is missing after it? The italics stayed put till the last "The End -- made by BookDesigner" which was back to a normal font. The kindle calls the quote's location "2733" (is that a word count, perhaps?) but at any rate, you can search for the text of the quote.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have fixed the problem with version 1.1
Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
*gasp* I love this book!!!! Just read it recently, one of the Valancourt Books pbook re-releases. I got such a kick out of it. I think Catherine Morland read it too, before she went to Northanger Abbey.

I will download to my Cybook tonight. Thanks!!!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Madam B, if you have now uploaded a new version, would you like me to alter the thread title to v.1.1?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Madam B, if you have now uploaded a new version, would you like me to alter the thread title to v.1.1?
Yes, thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
This is the only of the "seven horrid novels" I managed to find so far.Of all of them,the only one I'd REALY want to read is "The Necromancer,or the Tale of the Black Forrest" from Kahlert (Originaly credited as "Flammenberg",translated by Teuthold),which was published in 1794-214 years ago,yet I cant find a single online version,except a few isolated sentences on "Google books".Would anyone have that?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
MaggieScratch
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, you can buy a pbook version of The Necromancer from Valancourt Books -- they're republishing the "Northanger Novels." But I'd love to have them in ebook versions, of course! I keep meaning to write to them and ask them to publish Mobi versions...they'd be DRMed, of course, but I like the introductions and notes they've been including in the series. I remember looking for ebook versions of the horrid novels years ago when I first discovered Project Gutenberg...

I wonder if Chawton Library has them? Hmm.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I looked on Gutenberg,Wikisource and Google Books.Nothing,except Google has links.

And considering its 214 years old,Id REEEEALY expect it to be online SOMEWHERE.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
MaggieScratch

The problem is that novels from that era, especially if they weren't really, really popular, weren't published in large amounts and weren't put away carefully and preserved in nice wood-paneled libraries. Many of them were sold to circulating libraries, and read by many people, not returned, torn up, etc. and then when no one wanted to borrow them anymore, were very likely thrown away. They weren't considered worth preserving. They're hard to get hold of these days, so no one who cares about such things has had access to digitize them. Let's face it, for a long time it was thought by Austen scholars that she had made them all up! I looked through Chawton Library's collection, and they haven't digitized any of the horrid novels yet. The University of Virginia has them all, I believe, but no digital versions yet.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Lobolover
Gorosei

well,youd consider it would be at least somewhat preserve in a church library or what not.

And I mean,of all of the seven,only "The Necromancer" seems to have REAL scary elelemts and is also widely praised today,too.