Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
I would seriously consider the comments before buying, but it's still a good price.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidixon View Post
Cons: If you can call it one: the cable with plug is for use in Japan, don't forget to buy a plug convertor if you life in a country with a different plug.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #18
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
output 5.2V 450mA
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien View Post
output 5.2V 450mA
That output is probably fine -- the voltage certainly is, and the current ought to be (I don't remember the Reader's output current off-hand but as long as the Reader isn't looking for more than 450 mA it should be fine).

What you're going to run into is the connector. If the DS's connector won't fit, then it's just not going to work.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #20
hidalgo1301
hidalgo1301 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I bought my psp charger today. Cost $135, but came with a fully functional psp, game, and movie...what a bonus.
hidalgo1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #21
sebastien
Enthusiast

That's what I realized yesterday... Back to USB.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found what I consider a decent PSP AC adaptor that's not cheap junk like some linked here. It's $14.99 from Gamesatop. http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801932

I just would not want to risk my 505 with some unknown cheaply made PSP AC adapter.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #23
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I found what I consider a decent PSP AC adaptor that's not cheap junk like some linked here. It's $14.99 from Gamesatop. http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801932

I just would not want to risk my 505 with some unknown cheaply made PSP AC adapter.
I got mine at Target for $10.99. It works great!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I got mine at Target for $10.99. It works great!
Is it also from Pelican Accessories? If so, good deal! Oh, does it also support 240v so it can be used in the UK?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #25
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
That's what I realized yesterday... Back to USB.
I don't understand.Why would you even think that a Nintendo DS charger would substitute for a Sony PSP charger? The are 2 completely different plugs. (Hint--the PSP charger plug, and the socket on your Reader, are both round; the DS charger plug is rectangular.)

And, why go "back to USB"? As reiterated many times here, the PSP charger (or PSP charging cable) is faster and more reliable than a USB charger.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #26
sebastien
Enthusiast

Well, from afar, the Nintendo DS charger plug looks like the small end of a USB cable. Only after close examination did I realize the obvious.

Since I don't have a PSP charger, my only option is to recharge via USB.

BTW, my friend owns a PRS-500 and tells me that he can't recharge it via USB if the battery drains completely. Is that still the case with the 505? Can I let the device drain completely before recharging?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
BTW, my friend owns a PRS-500 and tells me that he can't recharge it via USB if the battery drains completely. Is that still the case with the 505? Can I let the device drain completely before recharging?
It's supposedly not the case with the 505, but there have been a couple of reports suggesting that it may not be a good idea.

I'd suggest just having a look for a cheap 'generic' PSP charger, as it'll both charge faster than USB as well as allow you to use the device while charging, but it's not as 'essential' as it would be with a 500.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My wife has an iPod Touch and she got an AC USB charger for it. I tried this on the 505 and it did not work to charge. The red led did not light up. She still has her 500 so we use the AC adapter that came with her 500 to charge out readers. Also, while charging via the AC adapter, I can also read at the same time. I cannot read & charge with USB. I've never tried to charge my 505 via USB when it's been flat so I cannot say if it works or not. But I highly recommend an AC adapter because you can read while charging, it charges from flat, and it takes less time to fully charge. And You are not relient on a computer to be nearby to charge.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #29
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My wife has an iPod Touch and she got an AC USB charger for it. I tried this on the 505 and it did not work to charge. The red led did not light up. She still has her 500 so we use the AC adapter that came with her 500 to charge out readers. Also, while charging via the AC adapter, I can also read at the same time. I cannot read & charge with USB. I've never tried to charge my 505 via USB when it's been flat so I cannot say if it works or not. But I highly recommend an AC adapter because you can read while charging, it charges from flat, and it takes less time to fully charge. And You are not relient on a computer to be nearby to charge.
I've tried recharging my 505 several ways. Several wall-plug USB chargers do NOT work, and drain the battery instead! I've tried using usb chargers for my blackberry, bluetooth headset, and a generic mini-usb wall wort.

OTOH, my 505 does seem to charge from a USB cable connected to a computer. The trick seems to be if the computer can recognize the Reader as a storage device (even without the Sony Connect/Library sw installed), it will charge. I haven't drained the 505 fully so I don't know if it would charge that way. (The 500 seems to require the Library sw in order to charge from a computer, as I recall. Not sure though.)

The best 'universal' charging option for either Reader is a PSP charger, either a standalone one (many inexpensive types available in game stores), a PSP tip for a universal charger, or a USB-to-PSP cable, which will allow charging from any USB charger (computer or wall wort). The PSP jack charges faster and, as noted above, allows you to read while charging.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #30
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I've tried recharging my 505 several ways. Several wall-plug USB chargers do NOT work, and drain the battery instead! I've tried using usb chargers for my blackberry, bluetooth headset, and a generic mini-usb wall wort.

OTOH, my 505 does seem to charge from a USB cable connected to a computer. The trick seems to be if the computer can recognize the Reader as a storage device (even without the Sony Connect/Library sw installed), it will charge. I haven't drained the 505 fully so I don't know if it would charge that way. (The 500 seems to require the Library sw in order to charge from a computer, as I recall. Not sure though.)
That is exactly my experience from this week. I had been charging from a USB to mini-USB cable connected to the laptop. No problems at all.

But I ran into a situation where I wanted to hook up both my Motorola Q phone and my PRS-505 at the same time to charge them. So I tried to use a AC wall wart to mini-USB that I use to charge my cell phone. Instead of charging, the PRS-505 went from half-full battery down to zero battery.

Charging the PRS-505 back up with the USB on my laptop proved to be slightly tricky. The first few attempts with the usual port and cable did not work. I had to move the cable to a different USB port before the light on the PRS-505 would light up and the device would begin charging.

So now I have (2) USB to mini-USB cables hooked up to the laptop. I may end up picking up a AC to PSP plug for use in situations where I don't have my laptop.

It's a shame that AC to mini-USB charging cables don't seem to work reliably. I'm pretty sure that the fault lies in the software on the PRS-505 and not the voltages / amperages put out by the AC to mini-USB wall wart.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote