Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Derek R
Zealot
Derek R began at the beginning.

Device: none
Removing Personal Doc Tag [PDOC] from .mobi file

I create an epub file in Sigil (which is excellent) and then use Kindle Previewer to convert the file to a mobi file for use on the various Kindle devices.

The only snag is that whenever I transfer the mobi to my Kindle Fire it is recognized as a document and not a book, and so will not appear on the bookshelves in the "books" section.

I read that this is because of the PDOC tag generated in the file. Is there any easy way to remove this?

I have been able to remove it in "calibre" (which is also excellent), but this means - unless I am overlooking something - going through the conversion process and altering the file in other ways.

Any suggestions?
Derek R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I had that problem, and I solved it by modifying the .mobi files directly with MobiPerl, as discussed here. The trick is you have to add the EBOK (or remove PDOC) and add an ASIN if there is none.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Derek R
Zealot

Thanks, both of you. I will check out MobiPerl now.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Derek R
Zealot

I have downloaded mobi2mobi and opened a mobi file in that. However, I'm not quite sure what to do next. What am I supposed to add or change to have the file appear in the Kindle Fire books app?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In command line, you'd have to use something like:

Code:
mobi2mobi --outfile output-file --exthtype 113 --exthdata some-ASIN-number input-file
mobi2mobi --outfile output-file --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" input-file
where the second input-file should be the first output-file. I don't know if that's possible (or how) with the GUI. And I don't know what are the restrictions for a valid ASIN number.

Last edited by Jellby; 03-09-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Derek R
Zealot

Many thanks for that. I had changed the 501 to "EBOK", but that had no effect. I briefly looked at the thread about the ASINs. I will investigate that now and see if the combination of the two will work. Your assistance is much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

All I can tell you is it did work in my case (mobi books, mostly created with MobiPerl itself, from custom-made HTML files).

Have you tried using Kindlegen instead of Kindle Previewer (in case those are different programs, my Kindle-knowledge is very shallow)?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Derek R
Zealot

I haven't. But that is a good tip, and I will try it as soon as I get time. What I will probably do in the meantime though is just continue to use Kindle Previewer to convert the epubs to mobis, rather than have to develop a new routine - yet again. My thinking now is that if it is only the Kindle Fire causing this issue then I'm not going to worry unduly about it. If the glitch can't be resolved without a major change to my routine then I'll just live with it, unless it becomes a major issue.

And many thanks for your help.