Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-02-2019, 04:40 AM   #1
Tokei
Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Questions about Onyx Nova (PWM, Overdrive, Adobe DRM)

Dear all,

I am interested in buying an Onyx Nova Pro and wanted to ask for help in answering some questions about it. I have been using Kindles so far and recently bought a Kobo Forma. But I will sell the Forma because of the PWM dimming and now look for a good 8” alternative. A real must for me is the ability to lend from the local libraries (that use overdrive).

The Onyx Nova Pro seemingly ticks all boxes and is available here for a decent enough price. But return policies are awful so I want to make sure on some key items before taking the plunge (being burned by the Forma that I now have to sell at a loss).
  • Since I return the Forma due to the PWM dimming: did anyone confirm that the Onyx Nova Pro does not use PWM to dim the light?
  • How is the manufacturer’s track record in terms of quality consistency? Do I have a decent chance of getting a good screen at the first shot?
  • How is the Overdrive app when reading books in terms of UI, general look & feel, fonts options, dictionary integration...? I know that it should work, but is it actually a good & full solution?
  • A review on blog.the-ebook-reader.com mentioned that the Nova Pro would not support Adobe DRM anymore? I hoped that I could use my desktop PC with Adobe Digital Editions to transfer library books to the reader and then read them with e.g. neoreader or koreader (hopefully giving me the best reading experience vs. non-optimised apps like overdrive).

Please excuse the many question. After some research I couldn’t really find answers.

Thanks & cheers
Tokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Eyex97
Eyex97 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Hi! I only have specific information about the Note Pro. I have asked Onyx, and it does not utilise PWM. I guess this is the case with the Nova as well. You should ask Onyx via Facebook messenger, they will reply for sure!
Eyex97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Tokei
Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi Eyex97,

thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated!

I thought for a moment this thread might have died a silent death . I have asked Nathan from the ebook reader blog about the Adobe DRM integration and he replied that the standard reader on the Onyx does not support Adobe DRM (costs licensing fees) but that other readers do (like e.g. the Overdrive or the Kindle app). In terms of built-to-purpose reading apps vs. Android version of other reading apps I did not get a straight answer but reading through forums and watching reviews I think it is fair to say that it is workable but a reader developed for ereaders should always beat an android app in terms of ease of use and stability.
Tokei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onix nova, overdrive, pwm