Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
brainblip3
brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo
In Depth Look At the Kobo Glo

I've been lurking the forums for a while now, and after much research on this website as well as on other places around the internet, I purchased the Kobo Glo in black from an independent bookstore. I would like to start this review by noting that large retailers such as Best Buy do not have the Kobo Glo available for purchase; however, you can use the directory of the American Booksellers Association to find a local, independent bookstore that carries the Kobo Glo.

Today, I drove almost an hour, round trip, in order to get my hands on this device. The box reminds me of a chocolate box because of its simple removable lid. Inside is the device, a manual, and a cable for transfer and charging. There is no adapter for a wall socket.

My experience with setup was frustrating. The device points the user to www.kobosetup.com however, when I attempted to download the setup software, my speeds were INCREDIBLY slow. Note that unlike the previous generations of Kobo readers, you cannot skip the setup process. I attempted to use the alternative setup: a wireless setup. Unfortunately, this process is extremely unreliable. Not only is it incredibly slow, taking more than an hour, it is also very unreliable, prone to crashing. After two hours, the wireless setup had crashed and failed twice, and in my frustration, I decided to attempt the www.kobosetup.com method again. This time, the Kobo servers seemed to be working, and I was able to setup the device quickly. Simply plug it in and run the downloaded setup software.

Let me start the review of the Kobo Glo's performance by mentioning that any videos or pictures do the device absolutely no justice. I have seen many videos and pictures of the device, but I had to hold it in my hand to understand how superior it was. The screen on the Glo uses the XGA technology. The only resolution and pixel density that can compete is offered by the Kindle Paperwhite, but aside from all the graphical glitches I've been hearing about, I also don't believe the Paperwhite actually uses an XGA display. In comparison to the Kindle DX, my previous eReader, the contrast and GTG ratio of the Kobo Glo is noticeably superior. In videos and pictures, the Kobo Glo's light seems harsh compared to its competitors, but in practice, I find that the light far exceeds my expectations. It is gentle on the eyes and relatively uniform.

The reading experience of the device is excellent. Because of the 1Ghz processor, page turns are incredibly fast, almost instant. However, in exchange for fast, partial refreshes, there are artifacts. These are noticeable if you look very closely (I am 18 years old and 20/20 if you are curious about my eyesight) but not intrusive on the reading experience. In the settings, the number of page turns before a full refresh can be changed; however, the drawback is that more battery will be consumed. The rubberized body makes the device easy and comfortable to hold, and I enjoyed the overall experience.

I have heard that Kobo devices supposedly have software/firmware issues, but I have not experienced any. I am currently reading The Bostonians by Henry James, downloaded from Project Gutenberg. I have used the device between three to four hours today and have encountered no issues. I am not sure how the device performs using Adobe Digital Editions, but the latest version of Calibre works flawlessly.

In closing, I would like to assure you that I am not working for Kobo. I think the device is deserving of the glowing review. However, bear in mind that these are my experiences and opinions, and I am sure that there are people here who are bound to disagree. Feel free to discuss.
brainblip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
The screen on the Glo uses the XGA technology.
This is nonsense. XGA simply describes a screen size of approximately 1024x768 pixels (in this case x758 on both Kindle PW and Kobo Glo). It is not a technology.

Quote:
The only resolution and pixel density that can compete is offered by the Kindle Paperwhite...
For pixel density, the Sony PRS-300 and -350 a couple of years ago and Kobo Mini are the same at around 210ppi, and the 10" Kindle had more pixels.

Quote:
...I also don't believe the Paperwhite actually uses an XGA display.
What are you talking about? It's the same e-ink display on both devices, with slightly different lighting technology.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
brainblip3
brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.brainblip3 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo
In my defense:

I meant a more advanced display that uses XGA technology.

Note that I used the word "and" and not "or"

I know that the Kobo Glo uses a screen made by LG, but I thought the Paperwhite had a different screen?
brainblip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
There is no adapter for a wall socket.
Do you know what sort of wall socket charger might work with this device? Personally, I don't like charging any device with a computer. I've found it to take longer, plus it seems to slow down the computer. It's really a shame that Kobo does not provide a wall charger with this reader. It doesn't make traveling with the Glo very desirable, does it?
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any USB charger works great. I have numerous ones that I move between depending on where I am.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Thanks for your review, brainblip3. I too am enjoying my Glo experience.

And I'm sorry that one responder chose to reply to you with comments like "This is nonsense." and "What are you talking about." Such an aggressive tone is apt to scare away new members of the forum, which, I believe, is not what we want to do.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Do you know what sort of wall socket charger might work with this device? Personally, I don't like charging any device with a computer. I've found it to take longer, plus it seems to slow down the computer. It's really a shame that Kobo does not provide a wall charger with this reader. It doesn't make traveling with the Glo very desirable, does it?
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-W...dp/B005CG2ATQ/

and it works just fine.

Kobo also sells a dedicated AC adapter kit as one of the retail accessories, but the actual wall wart is a bit boxy - like Samsung adapters - and looks like it might not travel well (i.e., nice and flat in your electronic dopp kit).

I was actually surprised that a basic, FLAT, non-bulky AC-USB adapter was so hard to find when I was looking for one. As much as I like the Amazon Basics item described above, it doesn't pack well for travel, but it's better than the rest [angry face icon]
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Made for the mini, compatible with the Glo (AC Adapter)

Attached is a PDF of the retail store accessories lineup:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kobo_ABA_Universal_sell_sheet_121002.pdf (997.8 KB, 298 views)
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Yes, I would like to add my thanks to brainblip3 for taking the time to post this review. I'm considering e-readers as gifts for a couple of people, so feedback like you shared is very helpful.

Thank you, as well, to PeterT and oj829 for the information about chargers. I've
been concerned about putting the wrong charger onto a device and 'frying' the device. My Sony PRS 650 didn't come with a wall charger either and I ordered Sony's, which was actually pretty expensive. But I wasn't sure if it was safe to use a different charger for it, so I was willing to pay the extra cash to keep my reader in good condition.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Attached is a PDF of the retail store accessories lineup:
Thanks for sharing that. I didn't know there was a SleepCover for the Kobo Arc coming too! And it has the snap-in Kobo FitClips feature! And it doubles as a tabletop tablet stand! That'll be fantastic for my partner when the Arc arrives. Definitely going to try and pre-order that.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I use a wall socket microUSB charger meant for a HTC wildfire and allso have used my Galaxy S2 charger for my KT with no problems.
I also have a wall power adaptor with usb adaptors built in to charge my KT when travelling (I just plug the usb adaptor into the international wall socket adaptor).

They all work perfectly and as far as I can tell have had no negative impact on my KT.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblip3 View Post
you can use the directory of the American Booksellers Association to find a local, independent bookstore that carries the Kobo Glo.
I don't seem to find directory of independent bookstores in my area (New York) that carry Glo's, can you please point me to a link where you found your local store? Greatly appreciated in advance.
dentateck is offline   Reply With Quote