Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #106
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightsenpai View Post
Make a port for K4 nt
That's a bit rude... I'm sure silver18 would love to try but the real question is can he? First does he have a kindle 4? I'm thinking that's no because it's not listed as one of his devices. Second, is it even possible? Does the kindle 4 have wafs? If so then it could be possible although most likely easier to start from scratch because Komic was made for touch. Also silver18 does this as a hobby, he does not have to do any of this. If people are telling him what to do he might just leave. Ideas are great and talk of a port is fine but just telling him to make a port is, in my opinion, is not okay. I'm sorry this is in a harsh tone but come on? Even if your kidding (Sorry I can't really tell, maybe you are though?) it still can be read in the wrong context.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #107
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
As regards the pinch-to-zoom, all I can think now is to add two thumb-sized transparent buttons (one in the down-right angle, the other on the down-left). They could be used to zoom in and out (calling the same function I created for "change size").

As regards the scroll speed....it is something I always thought about. But I don't know how to increase it.
I didn't changed the scroll speed: when you scroll down with the transparent bar in landscape mode, it merely call a function that scrolls down the page:
Code:
self.scrollBy(200, 0)
"Frecce" are arrows that show up when you increase the size of the image and you double tap on the screen...They scroll in 4 direction, but, again, they don't change the speed!
I think pinch zoom thing is better then nothing... You should ask what everyone else thinks... Maybe three fingers up zooms in 50% and three fingers down zooms out 50%? Just ideas again, me being me..... Also for the scroll it seams odd that it can't be changed? I guess that's amazon for you . I've tried all sorts of combinations to try and change the size (your most likely have also) and even setting it 0, 0 it still moves at the same rate... Must be part of the kindle its self... Oh well. So zoom with fingers might be possible . Can anyone else live with this (maybe set it as a feature you can turn on and off? And also do like you do with frecce and have it hide after a short amount of time just so people can see where to put their fingers?)? What do you think silver and everyone else? Do you think this could happen?
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #108
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
... Maybe three fingers up zooms in 50% and three fingers down zooms out 50%?
The K5 touchscreen hardware can only track two touch points, not three. And because the two points can swap X or Y coordinates when crossing a horizontal or vertical axis, unless velocity tracking is added to compensate for that bug, you can only use the bounding box diagonal to control pinch and stretch gestures, or for two-finger swipes. Touchscreen rotation is tricky and/or glitchy.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-06-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: fix grammar typo
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #109
Titano
Definitely not King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The K5 touchscreen hardware can only track two touch points, not three. And because the two points can swap X or Y coordinates when crossing a horizontal or vertical axis, unless velocity tracking is added to compensate for that bug, you can only use the bounding box diagonal to control pinch and zoom, or to do pinch and stretch gestures. Touchscreen rotation is tricky and/or glitchy.
Thanks Geekmaster! Well I guess that's out of the question..... I guess it's back to trying to figure out how to re-enable pinch-zoom...
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #110
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
I think pinch zoom thing is better then nothing... You should ask what everyone else thinks... Maybe three fingers up zooms in 50% and three fingers down zooms out 50%? Just ideas again, me being me..... Also for the scroll it seams odd that it can't be changed? I guess that's amazon for you . I've tried all sorts of combinations to try and change the size (your most likely have also) and even setting it 0, 0 it still moves at the same rate... Must be part of the kindle its self... Oh well. So zoom with fingers might be possible . Can anyone else live with this (maybe set it as a feature you can turn on and off? And also do like you do with frecce and have it hide after a short amount of time just so people can see where to put their fingers?)? What do you think silver and everyone else? Do you think this could happen?
I added zoom buttons as a new option in the option menu.
Set zoom buttons to ON to enable two small transparent buttons, one to zoom in and one to zoom out.
It's easier if compared to "change image size" but less comfortable than pinch-to-zoom.
Currently it's the best option I can provide...

As regards scroll speed, you can set scroll to 600px or to 3px and it'll scroll with the same speed!
I run komic on my PC and it scroll faster there (obviously).
All I can suggest, is to use "smaller" images (the less the size in kb, the faster the scroll).

I'll release v1.8 tomorrow as I need to test if everything works fine...
I'll provide also new screenshots and new instructions showing the position of zoom buttons.
A new feature is the ability to move and rename screenshots to a folder called "@Screenshots@" in /documents/Gallery so that they can be viewed using Komic itself.
The folder is called using @ as it's an easy way of having it placed first in dropdown menus.
This script is added in Komic's submenu inside the GUI launcher.

Sorry for the delay!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-08-07T10_36_57-0200.gif
Views:	270
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	90267  
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #111
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Take your time
Thanks for the hard work.
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #112
Titano
Definitely not King Kong

Quote:
I added zoom buttons as a new option in the option menu.
Set zoom buttons to ON to enable two small transparent buttons, one to zoom in and one to zoom out.
It's easier if compared to "change image size" but less comfortable than pinch-to-zoom.
Currently it's the best option I can provide...

As regards scroll speed, you can set scroll to 600px or to 3px and it'll scroll with the same speed!
I run komic on my PC and it scroll faster there (obviously).
All I can suggest, is to use "smaller" images (the less the size in kb, the faster the scroll).

I'll release v1.8 tomorrow as I need to test if everything works fine...
I'll provide also new screenshots and new instructions showing the position of zoom buttons.
A new feature is the ability to move and rename screenshots to a folder called "@Screenshots@" in /documents/Gallery so that they can be viewed using Komic itself.
The folder is called using @ as it's an easy way of having it placed first in dropdown menus.
This script is added in Komic's submenu inside the GUI launcher.

Sorry for the delay!!
An Idea just hit me, a script that uses the convert command to change images to the optimal resolution! We could use something like this and then you just run it from the menu!

Quote:
cd /mnt/us/Documents/gallery
image= 'find . -name *.jpg'
do
convert -resize 600x800 $image `echo $image | tr '.jpg' '.png'`
done
rm ./*.jpg
This is not actually tested and might need some (a.k.a - a lot of) modifications but I'm sure the base idea is sound. It just converts all the images to png with a resolution (What is an optimal resolution for the images?) of 600x800 (can be changed) using native linux commands. (It also removes the old images.) What do you think? It could be launched like the extract command or others and then zoom won't be needed as much. Plus we could convert all the images to greyscale or the like and add that image post processing you wanted. Komic is looking great!

P.P.S. - It's already been said but take your time!, we are willing to wait for great things like Komic.

Last edited by Titano; 08-07-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #113
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
This is not actually tested and might need some (a.k.a - a lot of) modifications but I'm sure the base idea is sound. It just converts all the images to png with a resolution (What is an optimal resolution for the images?) of 600x800 (can be changed) using native linux commands. (It also removes the old images.) What do you think? It could be launched like the extract command or others and then zoom won't be needed as much. Plus we could convert all the images to greyscale or the like and add that image post processing you wanted. Komic is looking great!

P.P.S. - It's already been said but take your time!, we are willing to wait for great things like Komic.
Actually, it isn't even close to correct for the intended goal.

Try the command:
man convert

Also note:
Your find command can return a list of found files and convert does not take a list of input files ;

There isn't such an option as "-resize" the closest option is "-size" ;

This is Linux, which does not determine file types by extension ;

Just changing the extension does not change the format the image data is recorded in (although it might well screw-up any Windows program accessing the images in that user storage area).

Your command does not specify the output format of 'png' for the output file, so the output file is still recorded in 'jpg' format ;

The man(ual) command for convert can tell you all about the above.
If you don't have a Linux install with the manuals installed, well, Google knows "man <whatever>"

- - - -

I do agree with one of your statements: You didn't test this.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #114
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I could be wrong, but...
As images are embedded in an html page, and as I control width and height of the page and of the images, it shouldn't be needed to convert images using a script...
A bigger image will be treated by those script just like it would inside Komic, and as it will be shrunk, we still need zoom.
To avoid the use of zoom, we need to split a big image in smaller images so that they can be displayed with the correct size on the 600x800 screen.
I hope what I said is true...
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #115
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I could be wrong, but...
As images are embedded in an html page, and as I control width and height of the page and of the images, it shouldn't be needed to convert images using a script...
A bigger image will be treated by those script just like it would inside Komic, and as it will be shrunk, we still need zoom.
To avoid the use of zoom, we need to split a big image in smaller images so that they can be displayed with the correct size on the 600x800 screen.
I hope what I said is true...
I think you are correct, the web browser is doing the scaling.

I suspect you would just be trading "zoom in" for "zoom out" because a program can't tell what part of the image is of interest to the viewer.
Might be better to just leave it up to the user.

Well, with the exception of bordering whitespace.
I think the various tools that come with ImageMagic ('convert' is one of them) includes one that can detect and crop the image of bordering whitespace. I am not sure about that but it sticks in my mind.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #116
silver18
THE NOOB

And I really can't provide a script for removing white border!!!

Anyway, users can achive this by using "change image size" and then locking the image size!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #117
Titano
Definitely not King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Actually, it isn't even close to correct for the intended goal.

Try the command:
man convert

Also note:
Your find command can return a list of found files and convert does not take a list of input files ;

There isn't such an option as "-resize" the closest option is "-size" ;

This is Linux, which does not determine file types by extension ;

Just changing the extension does not change the format the image data is recorded in (although it might well screw-up any Windows program accessing the images in that user storage area).

Your command does not specify the output format of 'png' for the output file, so the output file is still recorded in 'jpg' format ;

The man(ual) command for convert can tell you all about the above.
If you don't have a Linux install with the manuals installed, well, Google knows "man <whatever>"

- - - -

I do agree with one of your statements: You didn't test this.
Sorry, I was just thinking, I formated the command wrong.... So shoot me . Well this way won't work anyways so I'm out of ideas.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #118
silver18
THE NOOB

V1.8 is out, check first post!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #119
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you, all new functions work great.

Is it possible to make "autosave" save bookmark when press the home button to main screen? Sorry if it is too much to ask (:
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #120
silver18
THE NOOB

EDIT: Internet, here in Naxos, is a real pain!!
Probably yes, I'll try later and report here!

Last edited by silver18; 08-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Tags
launcher add-ons