Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: MULTIPLE choice reading and book buying habits
I read a book once and forget about it. Even if I enjoyed it, once is all I need. 19 15.97%
A favorite book is like comfort food to my soul. I read it and re-read it frequently. 88 73.95%
If I borrow a book from a friend or the library, I won't ever buy it. 13 10.92%
I will buy a book before having even previewed it, if it is from an author I like. 89 74.79%
Even if a book is from an author I like, I still like to read it for free first. 11 9.24%
I will buy a book sight unseen if a friend of mine whom I trust convinces me it will be great. 49 41.18%
My books are a part of my "visual sound track", they mean something to me. 48 40.34%
I am a cautious buyer. I buy books only after having read them at the library. 6 5.04%
Other (Explain) 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Multiple choice re: book buying/reading habits

Ok, this multiple choice poll worked. Choose and discuss if you wish....

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Kind of "all of the above". It really depends on the book, the author, and the level of trust I place in the recommending venue to have tastes sufficiently similar to my own.

Some books are "keepers" which I revisit every so often, some books are "read and forget", and some books (unfortunately) were "read and regret". The latter two categories are perfect for the use of my library tax-paying dollars (though not necessarily the use of my time).

There are a bare handful of authors whose works I basically pre-order sight unseen because I have that much trust in them. It would be nice if I could read those releases for free from the library first, but basically they've repeatedly proven themselves to be enjoyable enough that I'm willing to go along with what they provide next, though if it turns to be a dud that's the start of a new series, I may pass on immediately picking up the sequels.

There are some authors with some titles I really enjoy to the point where I'd like to have my own if it's offered at a reasonable cost, other titles I'm pleased to have read and be able to access in the library, and still other titles that I'm really glad I didn't personally pay money to read.

For my preferred-but-not-absolute-favourite authors who've got a lot of stuff out, I do like to be able to try a reasonable amount of their works new or old in full before deciding to commit to a purchase, though I'll still splurge if a book seems very promising from the premise and sample and the price is good.

Generally if a book is in the library and I pretty much enjoyed it, but not enough that I want my own copy, I wouldn't bother getting a copy anyway, unless it happens to be available dirt cheap (regular or special-discount price). I've picked up some marginal-to-me books that I'd otherwise be pleased to leave as library reads because the e-book was offered at such a low price that I was willing to spend extra to support an author whom I otherwise likely wouldn't have bought in space-cluttering paperback unless perhaps there were donated volumes available at the library sale/bargain bin special at the local used bookshop.

I do consider myself to be a fairly cautious and picky buyer and will extremely rarely blind-buy and like to have a wide variety of samples available before committing to purchase.

But once an author/outlet has proven themselves, I often go and scoop a big chunk of the lot of what's available at good prices, and I can count at least a dozen new-to-me authors in the past year alone for whom I've bought nearly all their low-priced stuff in e-book format during sales after either first encountering via the library or from reading an e-book which was free or cost me < $3* on sale for an introductory volume of their work.

* < $5 for highly-recommended award-nominee-type authors in my favourite fiction genres, but those were far rarer and the higher the initial pricing goes, the pickier and more balky I get and they have to have some real acclaim and very good reputations before I'll bite.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I'm the worse. Books are a complete addiction for me. I even speak of them in drug terms - using words like "fix." I spend tons of money on books yearly. I often buy site unseen (which wastes a lot of money), I'll buy from my favorite authors without reading first, I'll buy based on recommendations, etc.

I stopped tracking how much money I spend because it would be depressing. I can say I don't have any other really bad habits so that keeps me out the poor house. I'm not a clothes shopper or purses, etc. Just books. Lots and lots of books. Maybe too many books? Nah, you can never be too well read or own too many books.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I have never bought, kept, or reread new paper books. My paper books all came from the library, friends, or purchasing secondhand books cheaply. Then came the digital revolution. I'm willing to pay for the convenience of ebooks since there is no hassle storing them and I enjoy the eReader experience.

I now purchase some ebooks and download free plus public domain ebooks. I have no plans to reread the ebooks I've got, I expect they'll be obsolete in a decade or so anyway. I will share the ones I liked with my husband and father (same Amazon account). Being able to share books was a big selling point of the Amazon environment for me, because it has always been a part of my reading experience to pass books on.

I do not try out ebooks before buying them, I buy books based on having previously read something by the author, recommendations, awards, reviews, etc. The price I'm willing to pay drops as I move down the list above, ie. based on an award and good reviews I'll pay a few bucks, if I've read and liked the author's work I'll pay more.

The trend of offering the first of a series or the first book an author wrote for cheap or free is perfectly aimed at someone like me, if I like it then I'll be willing to buy other ebooks by the author. Editorial comment: ebooks have made me into a paying customer for publishers and authors, so from my perspective their fears of ebooks and piracy are bullshit.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I read a book once. If I really enjoyed it, I remember it fondly forever... and recommend it whenever I get the chance.

My general sentiment kind of fell through the cracks, there.

Other than that.. I'm a buyer... in bulk and often.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I'm the worse. Books are a complete addiction for me. I even speak of them in drug terms - using words like "fix." I spend tons of money on books yearly. I often buy site unseen (which wastes a lot of money), I'll buy from my favorite authors without reading first, I'll buy based on recommendations, etc.

I stopped tracking how much money I spend because it would be depressing. I can say I don't have any other really bad habits so that keeps me out the poor house. I'm not a clothes shopper or purses, etc. Just books. Lots and lots of books. Maybe too many books? Nah, you can never be too well read or own too many books.
My wife says at least I don't spend money on alcohol or cigarettes.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- I'm a book hoarder. If it ever caught the interest of my past self, it stays. (Even dreck. As a reminder if nothing else.)
2- Authors I like have my trust until they lose it. When they lose it they never get it back.
3- I have few friends who recommend books to me but their tastes are good.
4- I buy my reads. If they're worth reading, they're worth paying for. Of course, if the list price is zero...

Which means, no: I haven't checked out a library book in decades.

edit: Oh yeah: there's about a dozen books I revisit every other year or so. Usually on dreary winter days.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember a book forever after reading it once, yes.
I also remember what cheesecake tastes like, and can often think about it without needing to consume it.

But once in a while I need to actually revisit that same "literary taste" via the same story again. I love the thrill of getting "close to my favorite part".

Quote:
Synamon said:
Editorial comment: ebooks have made me into a paying customer for publishers and authors, so from my perspective their fears of ebooks and piracy are bullshit.
Likewise with me and the ability to borrow e-books from the library so easily has over the past year turned me into a paying customer because I can "get to the library" more often to access more books. This helps me pick my "keepers" and the fears of piracy are total bull - I'll buy even the printed book, but admit to buying used printed books if I can get my hands on them quicker.

I have bought two paperback books sight unseen on the recommendation of my husband who was SO impressed with an interview on the radio by the authors that he even phoned me in the middle of work and asked me to stop into the bookstore to buy them. We enjoyed them so much. I was only willing to take his recommendation seriously because he is normally VERY frugal about book buying, so when he says "run to the bookstore", who am I to argue? It has to be something he knows will mean a lot to us. And he was right.

Because I only buy "keepers", and because I like to re-read my keepers, my book lifestyle makes it crucial that I read a book from the library first. I would buy more if I had more flexibility on the entertainment budget. I can see myself ten years from now when my youngest is grown buying way more books than I do. But I buy in the most frugal way possible, even sometimes saying no to some "keepers". That's just life. We all have budgets and priorities.

edit: I also did click "other" because there are times when I am flexible. But those times are hard to recall or predict.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-13-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I voted number 2 & 6, if I really liked a book I will almost always reread it a few times at least, and it's not that I forget what happens, I just like to read them a few times.

If someone convinces me that a book is really good I'll buy it, I don't really get why you would read the book for free and then buy it?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I typically read a book (novel) once only. Some very special books I'll read more than once, but they're generally exceptions. That applies to fiction and entertainment non-fiction, not reference materials.

I tend to buy mainly reference books.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
If someone convinces me that a book is really good I'll buy it, I don't really get why you would read the book for free and then buy it?
Possibly because sometimes you don't find out a book is that good until you try reading it and then you decide you want to keep it? Also sometimes other people are really wrong about a book being really good, at least from my point of view.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The same reason I would buy a book and then re-read it. If a book means enough to me, it "graduates" or "gets promoted" from a library borrow into my personal bookshelf.

My kids are like that. If we have spending money in a bookstore, they'll go, "I want that one, I loved it soooo much at the library!".

The book means enough to them that even though they *can* read it for free, they still want to own their own copy.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
My acquisition of books is separate from my reading them. I like having books - whether I buy one or not has nothing to do with whether I think I'll read it more than once. However, once I've read a book via the library or a friend, I'm not likely to buy it because many books fall off my radar after being read. This is as true with ebooks as it was with paper books. I'm not a heavy library user, though - I tend to use it when I can't buy books, and that's less of an issue now that I can get tons of free books from Amazon, insane coupon codes from other retailers, and so on.

My favorite authors usually get purchased. Not always immediately, but eventually.

I read most novels only once. The exceptions are certain large tomes from King, Rice and Barker - those I want to re-read after some years have passed.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

I read like this too. Running into cash constraint, I actually put a lot of effort in trying to score free reads from new authors, but I'll also try by buying way too often.

I do some rereading but probably the majority of books i buy I read once. I do reread my favorite books a lot. If I *really* like a book, I will reread it immediately.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Rime
Rime is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
I was at the used bookstore once with a stack of books. My ex was giving me a hard time about the size of said stack and I pointed out that it could be worse : I could always resell the books, unlike being hooked on cocaine. The bookseller added "Hey! You can kick cocaine!"

That said, I reread series whenever a new book comes out and reread old friends frequently. It's comforting....
Rime is offline   Reply With Quote