Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
uff ¿what´s the REAL battery for Kindle DX graphite?

uff ¿what´s the REAL battery for Kindle DX graphite?

Are driving me crazy about the web ...

I found parts of all kinds:

Lithium-ion.
Li-po.

1530 ok? yes.
1700 ok? for kindle 3, ¿only?...
1900 DX kindle exist for this graphitte? have serial 1700 ? or 1530 similar DX?

someone has gutted a kindle graphitte dx, I need to see inside, standard battery, and the format and size to see what it is ... any video picture or whatever

Ok. ¿question? if kindle 3 permit use 1750 to 1900 on similar box... why not do a battery for DX to 1530 to 1750... all are litio-pol. or better 1900.

and the last it´s... what is the battery on Dx graphitte 1530 or 1750 ?

bye,

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 02-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
KRorschachZ
Update

30 minutes after and ~ near 100 webs.. I find something

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/a...n/449063?seq=1

li-ion 1530.

ok.

(maybe in future exits other more powerfull... 1750 or 1900, because if on kindle k3 permit jump since 1750 to 1900... )

NOW all it´s correct, 7 moth, not problem with my battery

The only importan is that battery is LITIO-polymer... this is importan not wait to cero load...
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Lithium-Polymer is actually Lithium-ion polymer as it is just a specific type of Lithium-ion battery. There is no way that regular Lithion-ion cells would fit into the space occupied by that pack so they're all actually Lithium-ion polymer batteries.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Beware of cheap Li batteries for sale on ebay. They are from Chinese suppliers who frequently lie about the capacity of the cells. My son bought batteries for his PSP and I got one for my old Palm TX and neither is close to the capacity claimed by the label on the battery.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Lithium-Polymer is actually Lithium-ion polymer as it is just a specific type of Lithium-ion battery. There is no way that regular Lithion-ion cells would fit into the space occupied by that pack so they're all actually Lithium-ion polymer batteries.
ok.
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Beware of cheap Li batteries for sale on ebay. They are from Chinese suppliers who frequently lie about the capacity of the cells. My son bought batteries for his PSP and I got one for my old Palm TX and neither is close to the capacity claimed by the label on the battery.
Yeah. You have the potential for this happening with anything which isn't an official replacement part. Just getting ripped off on the capacity is okay though. Its when the battery pack isn't made correctly and they omitted the protection circuitry to save the 1 cent in components that it becomes an issue. A faulty Lithium battery tends to explode and catch fire in a big way...

The other scam is that its all the same cheap low capacity battery pack. You pay extra for the "higher capacity" or "premium" version which is just a different sticker on the same battery. A lot of the cheap never-heard-of-them-before rechargeable AA/AAAs brands do this.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
yeap. not cheap. not ebay. only expensive, only real battery.

The other day I saw a documentary about Chinese compatible batteries, and it was surprisingly difficult to distinguish from the official batteries, but also had no means of protection circuit ... overheating and overload ... etc. ..

The idea is for the future, see if they dare to create official battery replacement, because I've read that the lithium-polymer batteries last for maximum 3 years ... due to oxidation of internal cells.

And for that matter, I have seen several pages "for sale" in batteries of all kinds, with guaranteed 12 m, ~ 1 year, etc ... that let you install a kindle 3, 1900 mAh battery. instead of original 1750 .-

now is premature, since still under warranty, but as time goes ...

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 02-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
The idea is for the future, see if they dare to create official battery replacement, because I've read that the lithium-polymer batteries last for maximum 3 years ... due to oxidation of internal cells.
I expect Amazon to do battery replacements as a paid service if they do it and it'd require you to ship the Kindle to them. The only exception would have been the Kindle 1 as the battery pack was accessible to the user.

The aging affect causes the battery capacity to drop but the speed at which it does depends on the temperature the battery is stored at, the charge level it is stored at and the number of charge/discharge cycles the battery has gone through. There is an optimum temperature and percentage charge (around 5 degrees and 40% respectively) to extend the life of a Lithium battery.

Other things which are bad for Lithium batteries are draining them completely as this damages the cells, doing regular full discharge/charge cycles as they prefer only partial cycles and abnormal temperatures like below 0 and above 40.

This is why you should never buy old Lithium batteries even if they've never been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
And for that matter, I have seen several pages "for sale" in batteries of all kinds, with guaranteed 12 m, ~ 1 year, etc ... that let you install a kindle 3, 1900 mAh battery. instead of original 1750 .-
Generally you can upgrade the battery with a higher capacity version for longer battery life but only within certain limits. Too much and the charger circuitry in the device may not like it because it isn't expecting a charge to ever take that long.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I expect Amazon to do battery replacements as a paid service if they do it and it'd require you to ship the Kindle to them. The only exception would have been the Kindle 1 as the battery pack was accessible to the user.

The aging affect causes the battery capacity to drop but the speed at which it does depends on the temperature the battery is stored at, the charge level it is stored at and the number of charge/discharge cycles the battery has gone through. There is an optimum temperature and percentage charge (around 5 degrees and 40% respectively) to extend the life of a Lithium battery.

Other things which are bad for Lithium batteries are draining them completely as this damages the cells, doing regular full discharge/charge cycles as they prefer only partial cycles and abnormal temperatures like below 0 and above 40.

This is why you should never buy old Lithium batteries even if they've never been used.

Generally you can upgrade the battery with a higher capacity version for longer battery life but only within certain limits. Too much and the charger circuitry in the device may not like it because it isn't expecting a charge to ever take that long.
yes. I agree too...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
benong
Enthusiast
benong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-950
Is the Kindle DX Graphite battery same with the original white Kindle DX?
If not where can I get a replacement battery for the Kindle DX Graphite?
benong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Question

Hi all,

Searching the forum, I see that there have been a few threads about replacing the Kindle DX battery. But I have not found one with a clear consensus about a good source for that replacement battery.

Our household is now facing this issue on one of our units, and wondering if anyone has good experience with one battery supplier. There was a supplier who replied to a number of these questions (newpower99), but he is now banned.

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Smiles,

-Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
For Amazon battery part number 170-1012-00 (Kindle 2, DX etc), I find several sources:
- Ebay
- newpower99
- Google shopping
- not Amazon!

None of these are original.
Would anyone have experience with these suppliers for battery replacements, and be able to recommend one?

Cheers!
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If Amazon don't stock the original battery, it's pot luck, seems to be the same with any replacement battery you buy. If no one has personal experience, just pick the seller with best feedback, and don't expect the battery to perform as well as the original did when it was new. Not much else you can do
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote