Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the highest level of education you have completed?
Less than High School 7 3.17%
High School 32 14.48%
Associates 26 11.76%
Bachelor's 74 33.48%
Masters 64 28.96%
PhD 18 8.14%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #46
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A reader who keeps his/her reader in a cover is smarter then a reader who does not keep his/her reader in a cover.
Hey, different people have different tastes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Very true. If you're 19 you probably won't have completed anything above High School.[...]
So right! I was about to complain "What about university students? I'm pretty sure I won't be kicked out... Can I come back in 3 years to vote for the Bachelor's degree option?"
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #47
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have a friend, a truck driver. He loves poetry. I asked how, a boy raised in Spotted Hog, Missouri, developed such a passion for poetry. It was his 6th grade teacher. He remembered her name but I don't. She loved my friend and passed on her love of poetry to him.

President Harry Truman was our last president to not have a college degree. Uneducated? I don't think so. He was reportedly a voracious reader and often read classics in the original Latin. Now, we have a well-degreed president who has trouble reading in English.

Educated people read, whether they have degrees or not. Reading good books is an essential characteristic of an educated person.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #48
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Educated people read, whether they have degrees or not. Reading good books is an essential characteristic of an educated person.

At my first Psychology lecture at University, the Professor asked the students to raise their hand if they opted for this subject in order to understand people better. Almost all raised their hand and he went on to say that Psychology was useless for this purpose and they should instead read some good novelists. Exactly right, as reading good books grants one an insight into the experience of others. This in turn expands ones imagination and increases emotional intelligence by enhancing the ability to emphasise with those who have had a different life experience.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #49
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
At my first Psychology lecture at University, the Professor asked the students to raise their hand if they opted for this subject in order to understand people better. Almost all raised their hand and he went on to say that Psychology was useless for this purpose and they should instead read some good novelists. Exactly right, as reading good books grants one an insight into the experience of others. This in turn expands ones imagination and increases emotional intelligence by enhancing the ability to emphasise with those who have had a different life experience.
Did he go on to explain the the value of psychology?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #50
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

President Harry Truman was our last president to not have a college degree. Uneducated? I don't think so. He was reportedly a voracious reader and often read classics in the original Latin.
High schools used to be a lot more challenging. In 1900, the only admission criterion for the large state school I attended was the ability to read classical Greek well.
Quote:

Now, we have a well-degreed president who has trouble reading in English.
No, he doesn't. He once stumbled reading a teleprompter. Can we keep political cr*p out of this discussion please?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #51
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
No, he doesn't. He once stumbled reading a teleprompter. Can we keep political cr*p out of this discussion please?
I agree. Ridicule him for any failing you like in a political forum, but not for lack of eloquence or comprehension on a thread about literacy here. To malign someone's strengths is to become unreliable on the subject of their faults.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-05-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Changed repeated word *fault* to *ridicule*.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #52
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Did he go on to explain the the value of psychology?
As I remember (it was a long time ago) the value was in knowing a great deal about rats.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #53
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
As I remember (it was a long time ago) the value was in knowing a great deal about rats.
I've got four psychologists in my family, and I'd say there's an initial interest in self-diagnosis which is rapidly discouraged by teachers.

Fascination with deciphering the intricacies of specific problems and pathologies seems to be the reason my rels persevered in that field. They also feel good about helping patients who are haunted by intangible difficulties.

One family member in particular is outraged by the politicization of mental illness, and takes the same view of it that others do of the medieval diagnoses of pathologies as forms of demonic possession.

Determining and advocating the correct treatment of harmless patients, and of those who are truly dangerous, seems to have been his main motivation for earning his Doctorate.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #54
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Even though the last few posts are a bit off topic... I wanted to respond to the original idea.

1. Polling MR members isn't polling the average reader. It's polling the average forum going reader who is interested in eReaders.

2. I seriously don't think education level has anything to do with a love for reading. (Minus, yknow, getting to the point where you learn how to read.) I have an associate in arts degree and I'm currently in a technical program for nursing, and I can't get enough reading. I've /always/ been this way, since I was a small child. My grandfather loves reading and he has a Masters in English. My other grandfather also loved reading, most especially nonfiction, and the only reason he had a Bachelor's was because of the GI bill. My dad also loves reading, he has no degree at all. My boyfriend loves reading, he is in an EMT technical program.

I think my point is people who love to read are just that - people who love to read. They aren't educated or non-educated, they aren't from a specific socio-economic class. They just enjoy reading. It's like people who like to take walks, or people who like to play tennis. It's just something they like to do.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #55
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I think my point is people who love to read are just that - people who love to read. They aren't educated or non-educated, they aren't from a specific socio-economic class. They just enjoy reading. It's like people who like to take walks, or people who like to play tennis. It's just something they like to do.
I think that everyone who loves to read loves to read for much the same reason. But what the OP is interested in (and what this poll can't answer, unfortunately) is the statistical distribution of people who love to read across educational levels.

Although, thinking about it, I think it would also be interesting to see the distribution of readers in various occupations, too.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #56
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
My experience is that love of reading has very little to do with educational level.

Same with baseball...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #57
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
What about people who are trade school graduates, apprentices ? These are educated people too.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #58
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd say that readers were more educated than non-readers, but not necessarily more qualified.
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #59
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Almost all of my reader friends are without college degrees, and almost all my degreed friends are non-readers. Odd.

I have also noticed that amongst my friends and family, the more money they make, the less they read. Spin that any way you please.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #60
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

The question I'd ask, OtterBooks, is whether reading is a form of escape that your successful friends don't need or a distraction they prefer not to allow.