Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: eBook Conversion?
I only buy eBooks. If I buy a pBook backlist book, I cut-and-convert it. 21 25.61%
I prefer eBooks, but will buy pbooks that don't have an eBook option. 38 46.34%
I buy a pretty even mix of eBooks and pBooks, based on certain criteria (price, availability, etc.). 20 24.39%
I prefer pBooks, and only buy eBooks under certain circumstances. 3 3.66%
I only buy pBooks and I mostly come to Mobile Reads for the thrilling discussions and wonderful polls. 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I only buy ebooks for novels. I will buy art or craft or some reference pbooks.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Only ebooks. I've yet to be so desperate to read a book that I cannot wait for an ebook version to be available.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I, too, rarely purchase pbooks but I have enough unread ones lying around that I'm still reading them. In fact, I make it a point to try to read a pbook for every 2 or so ebooks that I read. Too many ebooks and I find myself craving a "real" book. When I'm done with it, I love my reader again!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
With the current trend of ebooks costing more that pbooks, I'm starting to migrate back to pbooks. It's all about the $$!
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I haven't bought a PB in a year and a half. Nor have I read any of the ones I have here at home.

I'm all ebook all the time.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
strangely enough, my kindle is making me miss pbooks, haha. i love both though
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #22
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
My actual choice isn't an option.

I buyonly eBooks. If it isn't out in eBook, I will wait.

But then again, I probably already have it is pBook form.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I in principle always prefer ebooks over paper, and when purchasing books will purchase the ebook if it is available. However, I am not interested in going to the effort required for option one. Most of the paper books I read are in the purgatory of being in copyright, but not available as ebooks (and many will likely never be). I actually rarely buy these as I can usually get a copy from my local library soon enough. So I guess option two is closest to my actual behavior. Though often enough option five is true.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #24
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I chose option 3, but I am really a mix between:

I prefer eBooks, but will buy pbooks that don't have an eBook option.

and

I buy a pretty even mix of eBooks and pBooks, based on certain criteria (price, availability, etc.).

99% of my new purchases are e-books, but there are a few series that I have chosen to continue in pbook form. Repurchasing all of them as ebooks would be ridiculously expensive.
I'm similar to Nyssa, though for different reasons (I still want most pictorial books in pbook form, as well as most cookbooks, but there are also some emotional idiosyncrasies that may have me buy the physical item as well as the ebook, and I particularly like 2nd hand pbooks). It would probably be fair though to say I'm in transition from option 3 to 2.

To put it another way, I have an Amazon Wishlist called "pre-ebooks" where I'm not buying them until they're in ebook form, and keep the list to remind me to check occasionally.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #25
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
With the current trend of ebooks costing more that pbooks, I'm starting to migrate back to pbooks. It's all about the $$!
Are you sure of this trend? ebooks I have bought from amazon.co.uk have usually been below the corresponding pbook price.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Only ebooks for prose, never come across one I was desperate enough to cut and convert.

Pbooks for reference.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I only buy ebooks now.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #28
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I hate DRM, and I hate the ebook price fixing.

So I'm one of the few people that voted that I buy mostly pbooks. I prefer a hardcover with its durability and resellability for books/authors I really love.

I prefer an ebook over a paperback, but not with DRM, and not for a full price-fixed $8 or $9. I'll pick up the paperback at my local used bookstore for $2, thank you.

Once in a while, if I really want an e-book of something I already have in pbook, I'll download a the ebook in pdf or whatever and convert/proof it myself in calibre/sigil (against the pbook) for my own personal use. I'm not re-buying the same thing I already own. My desire to support the author doesn't go as far as double/triple buying stuff.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-15-2011 at 12:35 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote