Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which bezel colour for most comfortable reading?
Black 72 67.29%
White 9 8.41%
Silver 8 7.48%
Gray 18 16.82%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Thanks for all your input! I have ordered a Kobo Touch with a white bezel, because I think it might resemble a "real" paper book more than one with a black bezel.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #17
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
I had some serious issues with the original Nook bezel. I found the reflective white incredibly distracting when there were any directed light sources around. Also the thin, angled shiny black border between the bezel and screen would irritate me no end when it caught a light. But I'm oversensitive to these kind of things, most people aren't so unlucky.

I found the K3 to be so much better, but even so, I dream of the day when screens will be absolutely anti-reflective, as even the K3 suffers from screen glare that can be annoying if there's a lamp shinning directly onto the screen.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #18
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I had some serious issues with the original Nook bezel. I found the reflective white incredibly distracting when there were any directed light sources around. Also the thin, angled shiny black border between the bezel and screen would irritate me no end when it caught a light. But I'm oversensitive to these kind of things, most people aren't so unlucky.

I found the K3 to be so much better, but even so, I dream of the day when screens will be absolutely anti-reflective, as even the K3 suffers from screen glare that can be annoying if there's a lamp shinning directly onto the screen.
I just tilt it a bit and it's just fine, the only problem is with light shining directly to the screen. Same effect as a mirror, if it's not directly pointed at you it doesn't shine on your eyes.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #19
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
Thanks for all your input! I have ordered a Kobo Touch with a white bezel, because I think it might resemble a "real" paper book more than one with a black bezel.
I am sure you will love it. Most people say they love black best because it is the only color they ever had or their favourite device comes in. Having had a matte white case 8as well as a matte black and two silver cases) I can only tell you the white was the one I liked best for its looks as the colour of the bezel does not have any effect on the contrast of the screen.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I am sure you will love it. Most people say they love black best because it is the only color they ever had or their favourite device comes in. Having had a matte white case 8as well as a matte black and two silver cases) I can only tell you the white was the one I liked best for its looks as the colour of the bezel does not have any effect on the contrast of the screen.
I've compared the dark blue Sony with the silver one (was it 505? I don't even remember what the # was) and the dark blue definitely gave the illusion of a whiter background on the ebooks. But I had already bought a silver one (and was having buyer's remorse because of the contrast), I stuck with it, and do not notice it and love my Sony to bits. It's now at least 3 years old and going strong. But again.. if you do put the two side-by-side, there was definitely a difference to my eyes, illusion though it may be.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
I've had black and white bezels. The text appears darker to me on the black bezel ones and they tend to show less dirt so that is usually my preference.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #22
Looler
Looler began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
White.
Looler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #23
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Black, black, black,
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #24
hellolani
hellolani began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc desire hd
context

My kobo is white and I've never had a black reader, but my one hesitation in getting a black or a dark coloured reader is that I use them most when I'm on holidays, usually in a sunny and hot climate. Black heats up way more than white in the sun.
hellolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #25
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
Hmmm I bought a black Kobo Touch because I thought it made the "pages" look more like paper.
Everyone is different.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #26
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You are missing one very important option:
- Doesn't really matter.

I have had several readers with various bezels and I see no difference between black one and white one.
if you read outside then you sure will notice a big difference between white and black bezels. Well if you live somewhere that does not believe when the sun comes out from behind the clouds and is high in the sky that the gods are not angry with the people.

Indoors maybe not a lot of difference but I offer you the question, would you use a monitor with a wide white bezel for 8+ hours a day?

Matte black is the one and only option for me personally as want to read in varied locations and black is the only color with no potential eye strain situations.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The poll left out red.

So, shall we start a new poll that includes red since Sony's T1 is also in red?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Matte black.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #29
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I really notice a difference with my graphite kindle (which I listed as gray, not black). I previously had white, and skins and covers of purple and red. The graphite is the best, most unobtrusive. JMHO
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #30
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The poll left out red.

So, shall we start a new poll that includes red since Sony's T1 is also in red?
I'd vote for red
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote