Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
Ian McDonald - The Dervish House - $1.99 Amazon (US)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._B855nb0MWB5QQ

Known for his sweeping outlook, elaborately envisioned futures, and blend of science and mysticism, Ian McDonald has written a fascinating, thought-provoking novel worthy of his reputation. He paints a vivid portrait of the ancient city of Istanbul, layering it with political, cultural, and religious strata, as well as an ingeniously imagined world of practical nanotechnology. Critics praised his compelling characters--all too often a casualty of genre fiction--and his poetic prose, but they also had a few complaints, including some humdrum science fiction elements and minutiae that can occasionally overwhelm the story. The Dervish House may not make for light reading, but this rich and fast-paced novel, imbued with a deep and almost lyrical sense of strangeness, comes highly recommended.

This 2010 novel set in near future Istanbul was a Hugo-nominee and winner of the British Science Fiction Association Award for Best Novel. I've not read it or McDonald but it looks promising.

I'm not sure if it's cheap outside of the US, so please follow up here if it is.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Even though the price is being set by the publisher, Barnes and Noble don't seem to be offering the sale. They still have it listed at $9.59.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
atidball
Enthusiast
atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
Even though the price is being set by the publisher, Barnes and Noble don't seem to be offering the sale. They still have it listed at $9.59.
??? This is not an agency priced book. They can charge whatever they want.
atidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
This book is part of Amazon's Sunshine Deals e-book sale, good until June 15th. So are any other non-indie titles which you might see pricedropped there to 0.99, 1.99, or 2.99 which aren't also that same price elsewhere.

As far as I can tell, many of the titles are available to Canada, at least, including this one.

Ian McDonald's a pretty good writer as far as I can tell. He was nominated (maybe won, I forget) for Hugo last year, and I think he's previously been nominated/won Nebula.

The sample has minor formatting issues, but I think I'd still pick it up at this price and notify Amazon CS of the errors.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Ian McDonald's a pretty good writer as far as I can tell. He was nominated (maybe won, I forget) for Hugo last year, and I think he's previously been nominated/won Nebula.
This particular title (The Dervish House) made the short-list for this year's (2011) Hugo. The winner will be announced in August.

Awards aside... people are raving about this book. I was surprised to see it on sale this cheaply.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I'm a fan of his collection Cyberabad Days and the novel River of Gods, but I'm coincidentally trying to read Dervish House at the moment and am having a difficult time slogging my way through it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
ooh i may get this book. xP i really should get off the computer before i spend any more, but i can't resist sales xD
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote