Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
jeanina
jeanina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
beginner needs help with epubcheck errors...

Hi,

I have run my first epub ebook through epubcheck and got the following errors:

I put a stripped down Word file through Smashwords, which created the epub format. What tool do I use to find Line #12 and #27? How do I find and fix these errors?

Thanks, jeanina

# ERROR: test-gwc-ebook.epub/content.opf(12): assertion failed: The "id" attribute does not have a unique value!
# ERROR: test-gwc-ebook.epub/content.opf(27): assertion failed: The "id" attribute does not have a unique value!
jeanina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
jeanina

sigil helped...

Me again,

I read somewhere to download Sigil, open the epub file in it, then save it. Then retry epubcheck. I did this and it no longer reports those 2 errors. Hurray! Although I still need to learn more about these errors for future fixes.

I see Sigil has line numbers, but since there are so many separate files, how do you know which file to look in for a Line #?

Thanks!
jeanine
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanina View Post
I see Sigil has line numbers, but since there are so many separate files, how do you know which file to look in for a Line #?
The original error message contained the filename: content.opf. The .opf file houses the EPUB book's metadata, file manifest, and linear reading order. The id's of all items in the manifest must be unique.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
jeanina

Thanks wallcraft,

It's starting to make sense! although when I looked at the Sigil files...I don't see one named content.obf. Do I need another tool to see this file? I only see a whole bunch of tmp files, all with Line #'s but I don't know which one to look in. Is there a good into website or book to learning what I need to know to make the epubcheck error resolving process easier?

much gratitude,

jeanine
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You don't need to see it, but you could use winzip or tweak_epub if you really want to.

In Sigil there is also a built in checker now. That one is better than the epubcheck and describes the errors better. If a file passes that, it should also pass epubcheck.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
If you want to gain a basic understanding of what an EPUB file consists of, and how the different bits fit together, there's a pretty good EPUB tutorial on jedisaber.com :

http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp

Another good tutorial, though much more detailed and a lot more technical, is available in the IBM technical library :

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm...tut/index.html

Note, though, that if you're using Sigil, it normally shouldn't be necessary to go in and edit the metadata files inside the EPUB file directly, as Sigil handles that for you, enabling you to focus on the book content. But understanding what goes into an EPUB file might make it easier to understand what's going on beneath the surface, and easier to understand how best to make use of the the tools provided by applications like Sigil. It can also help when trying to figure out what is causing specific errors with epubcheck and similar tools.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Or just read about ePUB on our wiki!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Or just read about ePUB on our wiki!
Oops... yes, that too!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Use FlightCrew epub checker, its also in Sigil, for far better reporting.
To be honest, there should absolutely no need to fiddle with an unzipped ePUB, just use Sigil.
The error you get seems like your headings have no unique ID's. Did you copy-paste some headings in your ePUB production?
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
jeanina

Thanks everyone! I'm getting that best Sigil is the software here to use for epubs?
Correct? Any other tools I should learn?

Thanks,

jeanine
Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Many folks use Calibre in conjunction with Sigil. It is a good tool to convert to ePUB from other formats. Then you can edit in Sigil.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote