Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
fivebells
fivebells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Recovery mode for kindle 3? And starting user applications on boot

I am not in trouble, yet, just planning ahead. Is there a recovery mode for kindle 3?

I've jailbroken mine, installed the recent terminal application along with the excellent launchpad application, etc. I would like for usbNetwork and launchpad to start when the kindle boots up. I assume this means a script in /etc/rc*.d/ Well, if I'm going to mess around with /etc, I'd better take a backup. I am planning to just take an image of the entire disk. But if I brick it, is there a way I can mount the kindle disk without running the code on it? Or some other way I could put the backup image back on the disk?

Also, it's pretty clear what the startup script should be for launchpad. Something like "/mnt/us/terminal/myts.arm &" should work. But what is the CL invocation corresponding to ;debugOn and ~usbNetwork?
fivebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Siliverst
Siliverst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
usbNetwork starts automatically, if in the directory "usbnet" the file "DISABLED_auto" rename to "auto", and restart.
Taken from here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=470697#470697
Siliverst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebells View Post
Also, it's pretty clear what the startup script should be for launchpad. Something like "/mnt/us/terminal/myts.arm &" should work.
if launchpad was installed in a usual way, it will be automatically started when system boots up.
There's no such provisions for lrizzo's terminal application, but please be aware
that it currently cannot coexist with launchpad (by design). So, first say
Code:
/etc/init.d/launchpad stop
only then you can run myts.arm without surprises.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
fivebells
fivebells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the info, guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
if launchpad was installed in a usual way, it will be automatically started when system boots up.
There's no such provisions for lrizzo's terminal application, but please be aware
that it currently cannot coexist with launchpad (by design).
I didn't realize that launchpad was also a standalone application. I was referring to the launchpad which comes with lrizzo's terminal application.

FTR, I found these instructions for achieving recovery mode on a kindle 3. I didn't test them all the way to completion on my kindle, because I don't really want to do a factory reset at this stage, but the first few steps up to typing "RESET" seem to work, and I think it will suffice to save my bacon if I take a disk image.
fivebells is offline   Reply With Quote