Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, I'm replying to myself... Big news of the day (for me) is that Sony just released a firmware update for the 950 that adds hyperlink capability. It will make the Wi-fi much more useful now. That makes me very happy this morning!

According to the firmware details:
* Hyperlink
Tap a link within text to jump to the web page via Wi-Fi®.
See? All you had to do was to voice your sacred wish and hey, presto!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #47
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
See? All you had to do was to voice your sacred wish and hey, presto!
If only it were that easy all the time! I think it is a positive that Sony has done a firmware update. I hope that more are coming soon and for the other models too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #48
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I think that people who read non fiction would like to have the Internet. I fully understand it. I don't need it because I read fiction only. Mostly Fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. If I were to read non-fiction I would want/need to have the Internet.
I read mostly non-fiction, and am not particularly interested in having my reader with internet access.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #49
zxcvbnm
zxcvbnm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Partly I suspect there is only so much supply of e-ink screens at the moment. So they don't need to discount something in short supply.

Partly they are price discriminating heavily, walk in off the street and you get sold the smart sony for $200. Or if you are poor/cheap and prepared to make an effort you trade in your old worthless pda from the back of the cuboard for $75 and buy through the education store (even if they check everyone knows a student or teacher).

Think about it the prs-350 is $135 in their education store, deduct the trade in and many people are paying $60 for one making it by far the cheapest available. The 6" model works out at $120 but still cheaper than a kindle.

So they are selling them for the highest price to some people and the lowest price to others, clever Sony.
zxcvbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I think situation is rather grave.
Sony Readers get next to no media coverage.
They get plenty here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think Sony is focusing on the European market. Any perceived failures in the US may be deliberate.
Deliberate? not sure about that. But I do think they are throwing a lot at it on this side of the big pond. There are a few "Dutch" readers (rebranded by Dutch companies...) but none are as well known as the Sony's... (maybe the BeBook as that was the first here...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #51
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
They get plenty here...
I have just bought a used Sony PRS-505, based on what other users have posted on MR. Perhaps the marketing people at Sony feel that word-of-mouth recommendation is more effective than advertising.

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-16-2010 at 06:26 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 AM   #52
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
I have just bought a Sony PRS-505, based on what other users have posted on MR. Perhaps the marketing people at Sony feel that word-of-mouth recommendation is more effective than advertising.
And if they don't, what can they do? Pay sites so that they review Sony readers?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #53
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Don’t want to make it a kindle vs. Sony argument but before buying Sony I had kindle with me for three weeks. I bought it for the reasons stated in some of the previous posts (wikipedia, weblinks and google). But for me the browser on E-ink was useful only for buying books and nothing more. I could not get the right settings for kindle even for Amazon (maybe I didn’t understand how to use it) and ended up spending more time in making it display those websites better rather than reading. Meanwhile I saw Sony 650 at Waterstones and it blew me off! Love at first site... (maybe I was always biased towards it from the reviews..)
The best part, I don’t miss internet on my reader. Maybe I am too engrossed in the books to miss anything.
I will consider using browser on Reader but only when E-ink is advanced enough to turn the pages without its annoyingly slow refresh rate. Until then I am more than happy to buy books on my laptop.

Cheers!
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #54
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have just bought a Sony PRS-505, based on what other users have posted on MR. Perhaps the marketing people at Sony feel that word-of-mouth recommendation is more effective than advertising.
Well, the 505 was never available here. But since they introduced the 300 and 600, most readers mentioned are Sony's. Before that, you hardly heard anything about ereaders at all.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #55
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... Pay sites so that they review Sony readers
Do you mean pay sites to give good reviews of Sony readers?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-16-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #56
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. Most people buyng Sony's that I know already were Sony Reader owners. Most of thew "new customers" that I know, learned there is such thing as Kindle and bought one.
I think that depends very heavily on the languages you read. Most people here have no use for a kindle as they can't buy books from it, because they don't read English.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #57
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mean pay sites to give good reviews of Sony readers?
No, simply to review/mention them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think that depends very heavily on the languages you read. Most people here have no use for a kindle as they can't buy books from it, because they don't read English.
Most people that can't buy books from amazon, actually easily get books from other sources. And, unlike with Sony, Kindle's fonts contains most non-hieroglyphic alphabets out of the box.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #58
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
No, simply to review/mention them at all ...
You seem to be saying that Sony should pay websites to review and mention their products. What effect do you think that would have on their credibility (both Sony's and the website's)?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-16-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #59
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
You seem to be saying that Sony should pay websites to review and mention their products. What effect do you think that would have on their credibility (both Sony's and the website's)?
What are you talking about please?

It was implied (on this very page) that "probably marketing people at Sony" think that it is better that "sites do not review Sony readers". I asked what were Sony "marketing people" supposed to do, so that sites do review its devices.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #60
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I think I have commented before on their marketing in Australia - they went for about 2 years saying they weren't going to release their readers here, even to the point where their staff didn't seem to even know what I was talking about. Then Kindle and Kobo brought out units and marketed them aggressively via large bookshops. Oh - suddenly Sony wanted to get in on the action (and Borders had sold out of Kobos the other day!).
I really don't want wi-fi - I have a perfectly good netbook that can do all that stuff and do it a lot better, reading is for peace and quiet and getting away from the rest of the world .
The Sony sounds great but I need a lot of convincing before I switch from Kobo, who despite some teething problems, at least get into feedback via this forum and have the bravery to put up with the flack to get a better product.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote