Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
GiulioP
GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
dictionary on demand

I am looking for an ebook reader which allow me to jump directly to the translation of a word of a book in original language I am reading, without closing the book, going to the dictionary, opening it, scrolling for the word, etc. etc... (in the meantime I could forget the word I was looking to....)

because of that a touch screen ebook reader would be better.

recently I was looking at the Cybook Orizon by Bookeen, but the contrast of the screen doesn´t seem too good, since it is not an E-ink screen...

edit: I would like also the wifi connectivity on it....

Last edited by GiulioP; 05-05-2011 at 05:01 AM.
GiulioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GiulioP

Welcome to Mobileread ..... I am sure someone will pop in and provide some suggestions ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Kindle can do that

But I've seen other devices doing it as well
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Sonys also let you tap a word to see a dictionary lookup, but I don't know which models let you replace the standard English dictionary with a translation dictionary.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
skg
skg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 350
sony prs-350 , 650 , 950 also
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Perhaps any device that reads .mobi ?

I only use a Chamber English Dictionary on my Gen3, but there are translation dictionaries that may suit your need?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The Kindle's dictionary look-up function works great IMHO. For a translations, you'll need to switch to the appropriate dictionary (very easy to do)--the Kindle will not be able to automatically detect the language and switch for you.

Currently, Amazon has the following translation dictionaries available for the Kindle that can be used with the word look-up feature: french-english, spanish-english, italian-english, and german-english.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The Sony has the best support for dictionaries, especially if you want translations. The 350, 650, and 950 all have touchscreens and come with 10 dictionaries preloaded. The choices are US and UK English, German, Dutch, Spanish, French, and Italian. You set the default dictionary in the device options, but you can also switch dictionaries from within the book for a specific word.

Simply tap the word twice and a little dictionary window will pop up at the bottom of the page with that word defined for you. If you want to see more of the dictionary page, simply tap inside it. To close the dictionary, tap the X in the corner and you're right back where you were in the book.I think it's more convenient than the Kindle, because the Kindle makes you use the keyboard to navigate to the word that you want to find.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You use the directional pad to navigate and it takes no time at all. No real problems with it. As soon as you get to the word, the definition pops up and you can easily expand the entry if you want. I would guess that the time it takes to navigate to the word and the time it takes to double tap on the word are pretty similar.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
GiulioP
GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
The Sony has the best support for dictionaries, especially if you want translations. The 350, 650, and 950 all have touchscreens and come with 10 dictionaries preloaded. The choices are US and UK English, German, Dutch, Spanish, French, and Italian. You set the default dictionary in the device options, but you can also switch dictionaries from within the book for a specific word.
thank you polly, from the description you made the 950 is the one which is closer to my needs, since it's the only one by sony who has WIFI.
Is the touchscreen only for the pen or can it be used by fingers?
could you post some screenshot please?
Is it possible to buy it in europe? (austria or italy....)
it should also have a better screen than Cybook orizon (maybe I'll ask the same question in the section of this forum of this ebook reader )

I've already thought that browsing the screen with buttons (with the kindle i.e.) is very time consuming.... I can't imagine how it can be equal to a touchscreen...
and the other thing I don't like about the kindle is that you must buy from them and it does not support Epub...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiulioP View Post
I've already thought that browsing the screen with buttons (with the kindle i.e.) is very time consuming.... I can't imagine how it can be equal to a touchscreen...
and the other thing I don't like about the kindle is that you must buy from them and it does not support Epub...
For the main purpose, reading, and even for dictionary lookups, the Kindle's five-way is fine.
While I like the touch screen on my Sony for playing chess, I can't stand it for page turns, which are the single most used feature for me.
My young son like the touch screen swipes for page turns, so YMMV.

And if I'm not using one of the larger fonts, then double tapping to look up a word in the dictionary often has my big hands selecting the wrong word, so I find Kindle's five-way faster and more precise.

Plus, no fingerprints on the screen.
Unless I've been using the Sony or iPod Touch for a while, then pick up the Kindle and forget it's not a touch screen....

The only odd thing is that the Kindle gives you some features that would be GREAT with a touch screen: web browsing, games....oh well.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Of course the PocketBook devices have translation dictionaries as well.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiulioP View Post
thank you polly, from the description you made the 950 is the one which is closer to my needs, since it's the only one by sony who has WIFI.
Is the touchscreen only for the pen or can it be used by fingers?
could you post some screenshot please?
Is it possible to buy it in europe? (austria or italy....)
it should also have a better screen than Cybook orizon (maybe I'll ask the same question in the section of this forum of this ebook reader )

The Sony comes with a stylus which you can also use your fingers. It's not multitouch, like the iPod, but it is very responsive. It and the Kindle 3 use the highest quality screens available on the market (Pearl).

The screen is amazingly resistant to showing fingerprints. I use mine routinely to turn the page, but even under the best lighting don't see smudges.

I don't know if it is available in Austria or Italy. I know they are sold in Germany and in the UK. Given that Sony included an Italian dictionary, I'd be surprised if they were not sold in Italy. Good luck on your search.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #14
GiulioP

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I don't know if it is available in Austria or Italy. I know they are sold in Germany and in the UK. Given that Sony included an Italian dictionary, I'd be surprised if they were not sold in Italy. Good luck on your search.

oh, in another italian forum they told me that it is a product only for us...
where can I find it in UK and Germany? I looked on sony.de and .co.uk and there isn't this reader. are you really sure that I can find it in these countries?
for sure it's not present in Italy, nor in Austria.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony PRS-950 is only sold in the US.

The Sony wins when it comes to being supplied with built-in translation dictionaries, but they are not replaceable. The Kindle's dictionary can be replaced, and its dictionary interface works well. The fact that you say that you cannot imagine it bring as good as a touchscreen rather suggests to me that you haven't actually tried it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, ereader