Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question Charging the new PRS 350

Question to all, who have the new Sony PRS 350 Pocket Reader:

How to charge it?
Via the USB connector on a running Computer?
Via an USB Charger, original Sony or after market?
Via an additional charging connector like the PRS 300, -505 and -600?
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Charging the new Sony Readers

Now I am able to answer (myself):

The new Sony PRS 350 and also 650 are only to charge via the expensive original Sony USB-Charger ("PRS AAC1")
and with limitations via USB on a running Computer.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
with limitations via USB on a running Computer.
What sort of limitations?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505;PRS-600;Sony PRS-350;Kobo Mini;Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
Question to all, who have the new Sony PRS 350 Pocket Reader:

How to charge it?
Via the USB connector on a running Computer?
Via an USB Charger, original Sony or after market?
Via an additional charging connector like the PRS 300, -505 and -600?
The 350 can be charged using the included micro usb cable via computer(you can't read on the unit while charging this way) or with an additional usb wall charger(you can read on the unit this way). I am using the wall charger that came with my HTC Imagio and the micros usb cable that came with the reader.
tracyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
sheep
sheep began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
I don't think that's quite right, my understanding is that any micro (micro, not mini) usb cable will charge the 350 and 650. Sure sony will be happy to sell you an expensive one, but you can get a micro usb charger quite cheap.
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'll triple this negative--you can use non-Sony AC chargers. I've successfully used my Blackberry charger and my Kindle charger.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Based on previous posts I have seen, I gather than some wall chargers will work and some do not, depending on how they are designed. The Sony readers seem to be picky, maybe requiring some specific type of chip in the charger that only some of them have.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Based on previous posts I have seen, I gather than some wall chargers will work and some do not, depending on how they are designed. The Sony readers seem to be picky, maybe requiring some specific type of chip in the charger that only some of them have.
Are you talking about charging the new 350 and 650, or are you talking about the older Sony Readers? The older Sony Readers (300, 600, and 900) required a barrel type adapter and a special Sony AC charger, and they also had a mini-USB connector for connecting to the PC and charging. The newer 350 and 650 don't have the barrel type adapter. Instead the 350 and 650 use a standardized micro-USB connector to connect to the PC and to connect to a charger. This is the standard connector now used on most new cellular phones. All the posts I've read concerning the 350 and 650 indicate that other AC chargers are working.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope that you are right, and I am only going by what I have heard, which may not be accurate. I was referring to the newer models, and I know that the older ones had the option of using a barrel connector. Somewhere, I no longer remember where, I did see a couple of posts from people with the new models, who reported not being able to use a standard generic USB charging block (the kind where you plug the big end of the cable into the block and the little end into the reader). I do know from personal experience that these blocks will not work for charging the older models by USB. I do not know about the newer ones. If they will work, that is great. Do you by any chance have one of these blocks that you could test?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
The Apple 5v USB (ie, for iPods) charger works fine too.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I can't get the 5v charger that came with my iPhone to work. It says "USB connected" above a blank screen for about a minute, then "Charging stopped. The reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected." The charging light doesn't come on either. Same thing happens with my iPad charger and the Rocketfish USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my car.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Avwriter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
I can't get the 5v charger that came with my iPhone to work. It says "USB connected" above a blank screen for about a minute, then "Charging stopped. The reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected." The charging light doesn't come on either. Same thing happens with my iPad charger and the Rocketfish USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my car.
And there we go...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Avex
Avex began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch 4th gen,Nook WiFi
How about Sony PSP charger? Doesn't it work with the reader?
Avex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
How about Sony PSP charger? Doesn't it work with the reader?
The new models don't have a round hole socket. They can be charged only using micro-USB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #15
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
I plugged mine into a cheap dual USB charger I got at Wal-Mart for $12 or so. Worked fine. Charged right up!
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote