Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
clarkcz
clarkcz began at the beginning.

Device: Irex dr1000s
Need help to open Irex Dr1000s

Hey, everybody, I am thinking seriously to replace my battery in my dr1000s. Thanks for Sardy I got a knowledge about where to buy the battery but I still worry about if I can open the Dr1000s case sucessfully. I had done some research here and found a thread about how to open it at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44648.
It looks great but quit hard to open it without casuing damage.
Could anyone post some more pics with clear instructions to open the case? Thank you!!
If I got this step done, I will try to order a battery from http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=4358
and try it in my Irex.
Even though there are quite a few alternative ereader devices on market nowadays, IREX DR1000, however, is stll the best ereader on earth(I am very proud ). It worth the try.
Come and let' try !

Last edited by clarkcz; 10-07-2010 at 04:06 PM.
clarkcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Sardy
Sardy began at the beginning.

Device: IRex DR1000
Maybe i can help you a little with that too. You already found that old thread, assuming you read the whole thread, i decided to make some additional pics to illustrate the actual opening of the DR.
First cut a strip of plastic strip as mentioned by Kent Walters. I used an old credit card, perfect for the job. On the pics you can see where to slide in the plastic strip. You can also see that a plastic notch is keeping the side strips in place. Once your plastic tool is between the notch and the DR's side strip, you can slide the strip down/up. It's the same procedure with all four strips. Then you have to unscrew the central screw under the rubber pad in the middle of the back case.
Put your DR frontside down on a flat surface, maybe with something soft under it to avoid scratches. Separating the back from the front of the DR is the tricky part. You have to be careful there (read what Kent Walters wrote). On the pics you can see where to put a screwdriver. I used a metal one, you have to make sure not to push it to deep in. My DR had some sort of (silicone?) glue between the edges of the front and back case. At some points it looked like they used plastic cement (you can see a little damage there on the pics). Some tiny glued parts will break there, but don't be afraid, it won't matter much.
When your done you can slide the side strips back on. They should click in place.
Hope this will help you. Good luck with the battery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1059.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	59552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1060.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	59553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1061.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	59554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1063.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	59555   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1066.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	59556  
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
clarkcz
clarkcz began at the beginning.

Device: Irex dr1000s
Thanks so much for your help!!! there pics are a great hand to all Irex Dr1000s users!
I am going to try it and order a battery soon.
If I made it, I am going to post here to let everybody knows about it.
Great thanks!!
clarkcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy View Post
My DR had some sort of (silicone?) glue between the edges of the front and back case. At some points it looked like they used plastic cement (you can see a little damage there on the pics). Some tiny glued parts will break there, but don't be afraid, it won't matter much.
When your done you can slide the side strips back on. They should click in place.
I think these glued connections do greatly enhance the overall stiffness of the construction and the distribution of any external forces across the whole unit (i.e. away from the fragile glass display). Therefore, I would advice to glue them together again when you close the unit.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Sardy
Sardy began at the beginning.

Device: IRex DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
I think these glued connections do greatly enhance the overall stiffness of the construction and the distribution of any external forces across the whole unit (i.e. away from the fragile glass display). Therefore, I would advice to glue them together again when you close the unit.
Maybe, though i don't feel any difference in everyday handling. Front and back click together without these glued parts just like before. It all feels solid enough. Besides, if you, like me, want to do some more modifications (on/off switch, additional USB-port, battery) on your DR you'll be happy not to glue it together too soon. I've been pulling apart mine at least ten times now (two times just to make the pictures ). I take it with me to work and on holidays (but always in the IRex flip-over cover) it's still alive and kicking.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy View Post
First cut a strip of plastic strip as mentioned by Kent Walters. I used an old credit card, perfect for the job. On the pics you can see where to slide in the plastic strip. You can also see that a plastic notch is keeping the side strips in place. Once your plastic tool is between the notch and the DR's side strip, you can slide the strip down/up.
Nice description. It you don't have a spare credit card, a paper clip will do the trick too

Bent the clip open, and push the straight end between the strip and case to press the notch.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote