Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Thumbs down Apple iPad has "play fair" drm

Geek.com is reporting that Apple will be using their own ebook software. The device will be similar to the Amazon set up - no downloads from other vendors!
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
As a result, you won’t be able to transfer iPad books on other e-readers or use an iPad to read e-books purchased from other digital stores.
So, will the Kindle app be allowed on the iPad or other ebook reader software?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Hopefully to don't do that, if you can't get the Kindle app and other e-book apps that are on the iPhone on the iPad, that would really lessen the appeal.

I mean, the average Apple fan who's not knowledgeable on e-books won't care, so it probably wouldn't hurt their bottom line very much as they aren't really targeting current e-book enthusiasts.

But it certainly would knock a lot of the luster off the iPad as a reading device for people like the members of this site.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-18-2010 at 07:41 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This has been the concern all along. That the very existence of iBooks would mean no other ebook reader apps on the iPad. This needs to be confirmed or denied.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I hope like the music now on iTunes, they'll eventually be a push to get off DRM in a few years.

Publishers want DRM. Once they are completely into the market, you can hit them with these demands.

The one problem I see is the textbook market. You have students who know each other all needed to spend the same $$$ for the same book they don't really care for. I think textbooks are a rip-off anyway.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
this is fairly old news and misleading imo too.

yes you wont be able to import books into iBooks that have other DRM's!

However no one knows yet if you will be able to use kindle,stanza etc to get Ebooks with different DRM onto the device itself!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If there was any doubt before, it is gone now. I for sure will not buy any books from them. The last thing the industry needs is another proprietary DRM or format.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
If there was any doubt before, it is gone now. I for sure will not buy any books from them. The last thing the industry needs is another proprietary DRM or format.
I have to agree. I am still paying to upgrade my old iTunes music store purchases to the DRM free (high quality too) ones. I just don't want to go back there!

Apple has a good track record of resisting DRM. Jobs was denouncing it long before they ditched it, but the record companies took some persuading, and it was of course it was Amazon who broke the mould here. Who knows how long it will be before publishers make the leap of faith?

As things stand, I expect to buy an iPad. I may well use the Kindle app if it exists - if it doesn't iPads will have to get a lot cheaper and the iBook store (when it launches in the UK) will have to be very comprehensive before I switch. I am not that hung up about DRM - I am very hung up about not being able to share books within our household.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I have to agree. I am still paying to upgrade my old iTunes music store purchases to the DRM free (high quality too) ones. I just don't want to go back there!

Apple has a good track record of resisting DRM. Jobs was denouncing it long before they ditched it, but the record companies took some persuading, and it was of course it was Amazon who broke the mould here. Who knows how long it will be before publishers make the leap of faith?

As things stand, I expect to buy an iPad. I may well use the Kindle app if it exists - if it doesn't iPads will have to get a lot cheaper and the iBook store (when it launches in the UK) will have to be very comprehensive before I switch. I am not that hung up about DRM - I am very hung up about not being able to share books within our household.

amjb
but if you get a book with Kindle drm you cant share anymore than you could with an ipad so why use the kindle app?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
but if you get a book with Kindle drm you cant share anymore than you could with an ipad so why use the kindle app?
Because I expect Amazon to knock-down Kindle prices when the iPad appears. If they do, I would definately get one for my wife to read books I have enjoyed.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Because I expect Amazon to knock-down Kindle prices when the iPad appears. If they do, I would definately get one for my wife to read books I have enjoyed.
Good point, I expect a lot of prices to come down when the iPad appears. Everyone (including all the ipad haters) is going to benefit form the iPad. The competition is going to be great for the consumer.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Yep, I agree.