Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Tea or Coffee? Coffee or Tea?
Tea 44 47.83%
Coffee 45 48.91%
Neither 10 10.87%
*Neutral* 2 2.17%
Spain 5 5.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #31
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I like my coffee like I like my women: Cold and bitter.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #32
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
They still exist, and are selling Royal Blend on their website (don't know if they'll ship to Japan...) They do have a list of places in Japan that sells their stuff: http://www.fortnumandmason.com/World...kists,670.aspx, but only one in Kyoto:
Thanks for the quick reply, SNCAm. The department store that you listed, Daimaru in Kyoto, was the store I was talking about in my post. The F&M folks had a 10x15 stall in the supermarket section of the store. (Most large department stores in Japan have huge supermarkets in the basement level.) The F&M area carried every one of their blends in three different sized tins, a dozen different gift packs, etc., etc. As of this past Saturday, there was no F&M at all in the store.

Daimaru had the largest display and selection of all the shops in Kyoto and Osaka. 10 years ago I could find them all in five or six different department stores, three different import shops, and a few independent supermarkets carried small selections. Even some of the tea merchants that I do mail-order with have stopped carrying the line. Very odd!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #33
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
COFFEE, COFFEE, COFFEE, COFFEE, COFFEE, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee. . . did I mention COFFEE!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #34
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The results of this poll surprise me. I would have thought that the coffee drinkers far outnumbered the teaists! So why aren't there chains of trendy tea shops on every other corner?

Stitchawl
Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #35
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The results of this poll surprise me. I would have thought that the coffee drinkers far outnumbered the teaists! So why aren't there chains of trendy tea shops on every other corner?

Stitchawl
I think tea is more related to a home ritual. You drink tea to relax, to have a moment of peace, it's not something you can rush. Coffee shops exist because most people need coffee to keep them going, wherever they are, and will drink it on the go, not stopping their daily routine to enjoy it. Well it's the best explanation I can come up with...
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #36
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Tea. Mainly Chinese Oolongs (Big Red Robe rocks), followed by Chinese green tea (if I can get a nice Dragonwell for not too much money or a decent knock-off).

I should add, this is all loose-leaf with nothing added. I drink at least 2 cups of hot tea every day.

Last edited by lunged; 05-25-2009 at 12:00 AM.
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #37
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
One cup of coffee with breakfast and then to the tea. Don't like tea bags. love green tea and rooibos tea. Think the latter might be called red bush or some such outside of South Africa. Green rooibos is wonderful.

Much more variety with teas I think.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #38
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Good strong black coffee -- generally we buy Fair Trade coffee or beans from a small local shop.

I don't really like black tea, I do drink herbal teas especially peppermint.

In the UK you get a lot of instant coffee drinkers and when I'm offered a cup of coffee at a friend's house, its usually instant. I really, really dislike instant coffee.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
I think tea is more related to a home ritual. You drink tea to relax, to have a moment of peace, it's not something you can rush. Coffee shops exist because most people need coffee to keep them going, wherever they are, and will drink it on the go, not stopping their daily routine to enjoy it. Well it's the best explanation I can come up with...
I think it's plausible. But then, I've never been to a coffee shop... I can't stand the smoke
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #40
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Here in Scotland we don't have many (if any) chains of trendy tea shops, but we do have many little independent tea shops each with their own character.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a tea drinker. If I drink more than a couple of cups of coffee in a day I get "the shakes" from the caffeine. I just can't take it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #42
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Here in Scotland we don't have many (if any) chains of trendy tea shops, but we do have many little independent tea shops each with their own character.
Oddly enough, here too!
There is one really special one we go to, along the mountain side to the east of downtown Kyoto. All sliding shoji walls on two sides that open on to the most beautiful, tranquil garden complete with prize-winning koi! Just like you'd expect to see in a Hollywood version of old Japan. The ambiance is wonderful. (The tea sucks. Pearls before swine, I guess... )

However, there are now at least 2-4 'Starbucks' close to every major train station in Osaka and Kyoto. All the ambiance of a Dunkin' Donuts but their English Breakfast tea is pretty good and comes in large enough cups.

Stitchawl
Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #43
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a tea drinker. If I drink more than a couple of cups of coffee in a day I get "the shakes" from the caffeine. I just can't take it.
But I thought tea contained roughly as much caffeine as coffee does. Is that not right?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
But I thought tea contained roughly as much caffeine as coffee does. Is that not right?
I believe it does yes, but perhaps one's body gets accustomed to the particular form of it in tea vs. coffee? Whatever the explanation, though, it's a very real effect - if I have a couple of cups of "real" coffee, my hands start shaking and I just can't concentrate on anything. It's a very odd feeling. I can drink tea by the gallon and suffer no "ill effects" from it whatsoever.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-25-2009 at 08:43 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #45
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe it does yes, but perhaps one's body gets accustomed to the particular form of it in tea vs. coffee?
I think that's probably more correct, Harry. The image we seem to have been given is that the only relevant chemical species in coffee and tea is caffeine. That almost certainly has to be incomplete.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote