Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 07-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Lightbulb Changes soon...Your comments please!

Well, while being on a wonderful vacation I've been thinking about how we will continue our community and turcic.com.

We will definitely change the site layout and make it more userfriendly. All my personal content will be removed (morph).

We are *very* pleased with the increase in user interaction in the past months. Thanks a lot to everyone! Maybe it is time now to reconsider the restriction policy and find a more suitable way to foster activity without restricting access.

What do you think about ads? So far we have been very partial to ads, but earning some money to cover the costs of hosting wouldn't be a bad thing.

Anything else we forgot to mention?

Turcic.com Team
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
While I didn't mind the quite moderate restriction, I'd be happy if it is removed in future

I don't know about the ads. Are you sure they can generate enough revenue to cover the costs? In general, I find them rather ugly. Don't remember myself ever clicking on one of them...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
renbud
Enthusiast
renbud is on a distinguished road

Device: Axim X51v
I can live with some ads if it will help keep things going (heck, I'll even click on one every now and then to help) but I beg of you, please don't inflict those horrid pop-up ads on your loyal members!!!!
renbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:51 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Still not sure about the ads since I find them ugly. But definitely no popups; the worst I could bear would be one ad banner like Google's adsense.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
zorro_ksig8
zorro_ksig8 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the no popups, that is the last thing you would want to do.

I don't care about adds though, and if you need the resources I say go for it
zorro_ksig8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
I agree, no pop-ups. Wouldn't mind ads...
jfs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #7
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
I generally dislike ads, but don't mind them, if that makes any sense. Before ads, I'd like to suggest again that you publish the WCC to Handango/Palmgear/PDAGreen for $2.95 or a couple dollars more.

I believe the WCC is something people would pay for, and it is certainly worth paying for. You could keep it free here, and charge for it elsewhere. I'd probably even go buy it the next time a new version is out.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
I believe the WCC is something people would pay for, and it is certainly worth paying for. You could keep it free here, and charge for it elsewhere. I'd probably even go buy it the next time a new version is out.
Just brainstorming here Griff (and these are not Alex's thoughts), but what if the new version of the WCC were *only* available for a fee at PalmGear, etc...and not available here for free any longer? Seems likely people would get p.o.'d if they paid only to discover it was free here with an easy registration....or perhaps it's only free here to those already registered...

Again, just a brainstorm (or the gaseous activity variety )!
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
JSRunnels
Enthusiast
JSRunnels has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung SPHI-300
You might also consider a prominent paypal button somewhere for those of us who might be moved to contribute out of pure goodwill. I have gotten enough info from this site in general, and help from you in particular that I would do that. As yet, I just haven't taken the time to find out if you have it set up already!
JSRunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:10 PM   #10
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
Quote:
Originally posted by gvtexas
Just brainstorming here Griff (and these are not Alex's thoughts), but what if the new version of the WCC were *only* available for a fee at PalmGear, etc...and not available here for free any longer? Seems likely people would get p.o.'d if they paid only to discover it was free here with an easy registration....or perhaps it's only free here to those already registered...

Again, just a brainstorm (or the gaseous activity variety )!
Hmm, the question to me is, how long does one get free updates if you have to pay for it? I personally wouldn't mind if it were only available for a fee however I wouldn't pay every time a new version came out. I suppose you'd have to have some way to determine major versions and charge only for those.

I think you'd find many people paying and then trading it with friends if it were only available for a fee. The idea behind charging at PG would be to attract people who don't already know about turcic. If they later found the site, fine, but I doubt many would be po'd if they paid $2.95 and then found they could've gotten it for free.

You could also make it available only to users who've registered here and have been registered for a certain period, maybe two weeks or some such. Those with patients who find the site will wait two weeks and get it for free, those who are impatient can go to PG to buy it, those who don't know what turcic is, will find it on PG during their search for ISilo or HandStory.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #11
Aragorn
Aragorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR-70
I can read or ignore ads as I please, but popups are intrusive, and if too frustrating, would lead me to other forums.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 AM   #12
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Alexander, www.tivocommunity.com has sponsor links that seem to straddle the line between being noticeable and unobtrusive. I certainly would not mind the ads, but agree that pop-ups would be annoying.
brahamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #13
jreifsnydr
jreifsnydr began at the beginning.

I also like the idea of offering the opportunity for voluntary paypal donations. I've donated to a few other websites that, like this one, offer a clear value to those who use it. (And I vote against pop-up ads, too!!)
jreifsnydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:49 AM   #14
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
I wouldn"t mind ads and would gladly pay a donation. My 2 cents.
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:32 AM   #15
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I follow the general consensus. Pop ups will send me elsewhere so fast my nose will bleed, so please don't even consider them!

Having said that, less intrusive advertising would be ok, if it helps with keeping the site running as well as is it. Hell, I may even click on one of them every now and then!

Regards,
Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote