Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Question Note / Scribble app for M96

I'm looking for a scribble / note taking app for M96, the reader doesn't seem to have come with any stock app.

Jmirko listed a good list of requirements the app should fulfill:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko
1. Insert page (between existing pages)
2. Delete (remove) page
3. Rename scribble file
4. Sort scribble files, specifically by file name descending
5. Search scribble files by a text string in the file name
6. Return to the list of search hits after opening and closing a scribble file that was found with search function.
7. Export/convert scribble files to pdf
My first, pretty much random find was Scribble Pad. It's ok but a little bit too basic. It allows you to create multi-page notes. You can append a page (but not insert in between pages), you can erase a page but not delete, notes have no names instead you choose from a list of thumbnails, no sorting, no search, no export/conversion from within the app.

Some of the apps, like Evernote or FreeNote, seem to aim at doing everything and then some. One program's description said "Too many incredible functions inside." I totally agreed, far too many

Asus SuperNote seemed promising but it would not appear in the search results of the M96's Google Play store.

Currently my personal favourite is Papyrus. Clean UI and does a reasonable job, with some features from the requirements list "planned" for future releases.

Has anyone got any other recommendations?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Alf77
Enthusiast
Alf77 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 & M96
I have found good the handrite app too. Quite "strange" but functional in the end.

BTW, a BAD news about onyx scribble.

OnixScribble is a GREAT app

- FAST with the ink, it follows the pen just like ink. the other ones are left behind by the pen.
- the line is good: there is some software that enhaces the line giving more definition and more ink-like

for scribbling BUT immature:
- no background
- VERY EASY LOST scribbles. I have spent on day in note-taking with onyx scribble and after some operations the scribbles simple disappeared. without doing nothing.

please don't trust in scribble app for note-taking. you will loose them, most likely.

please improve it. it's a pity.

Alf
Alf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #3
CoronarJunkee
CoronarJunkee is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Repost from another thread. Just seems like my post would be better off here.

So I just performed a writing app contest. LectureNotes (trial version), Write (stylus labs), Onyx Scribbler and Neo Reader (with a self-made notebook-style pdf) had entered the competition.

LectureNotes is quite okay in terms of the writing experience. there's a noticeable lag which is annoying but if you're comfortable in note taking while not looking at what you're writing, that lag is quite manageable. There's an incredible bunch of options to personalise just about everything in this app. I use the "big stylus" with the button and the eraser tip but unfortunately didn't manage to get these two to work. I guess that makes me unwilling to put up with the lag. Nice things about the app: everything is organised in notebooks which appearance you can customise. I thought it would be gimmicky but I guess it could be kind of helpful after all. Of course, on the b/w eInk-screen, setting a notebook cover colour doesn't make much sense at all.

Write has lots of fun functionalities. It considers itself a text processing software for handwriting. So you can select your text and move it around. You can insert blank lines between your handwritten ones etc. You can also scale the text you've already written. The rendition of the handwriting is very smooth and seems to rely on vector graphics. So even when your text is blown up a lot, you still don't see pixels. But the lag is immense. Meaning you can look at the screen once you're finished writing and see the text slowly appear (like in LectureNotes, every stroke you make appears at once. So if you write an entire word in one stroke, there'll be no word at all first, then an entire word at once, after a bit of processing time). This makes it very useless for everyday note taking, as far as I'm concerned. It probably needs a better processor to really shine.

Onyx Scribbler is really basic compared to the previous two apps. There isn't much you can customise, really. Blank page, a few options for your pencil line and that's it. The scribble bar is always in the way so you never get to scribble at the lowest part of the page. The scribbling itself is a lot smoother (more responsive) than on LectureNotes or Write but you can see that the smoothness of the text's appearance is compromised by this (I suppose). You can see it's very pixelated right away. It's okay to use for note taking, I guess, but the result is quite unpleasant (and looks like you clearly have a horrible hand writing).

Neo Reader has the most responsive writing experience of all (it's almost immediate and I'm a quick writer). For me, in terms of responsiveness, it's behaving in a nice balance with the resistance of the stylus on the screen surface. Fells "right", somehow. The look of the writing is much smoother than in Scribbler, but much less so than in LectureNotes or Write. It's acceptable for me. At least, my handwriting in the app looks like my analog handwriting does. So I'd really go for this one if I found a way to work around the aforementioned problems (how to create empty note taking-pdfs from an existing file without all of them having the same scribbles on them, and without loosing the scribbles either). So if anyone has an idea, I'd gladly hear it. I guess it has to do with how NeoReader identifies a document to assign it the scribbles. So maybe that could be adapted somehow... Booxter...?

Oh and another info: Erasers. On Scribbler and Neo Reader the eraser tip of my "big stylus" is recognised. But besides that: LectureNotes (and Write as well? not sure about this one and I have already deleted the app) erases only those parts of the text which have actually been crossed by the eraser tool. You can, thus, erase only parts of a stroke. On the other hand, if you want to erase an entire word, you need to stroke away like crazy until you've crossed all parts of the word out (like on paper). But: LectureNotes has an "undo"-feature that lacks on the Onyx apps (this wouldn't be helpful, however, if it's a word somewhere in the middle of your writing you need to erase). Both Onyx apps erase an entire stroke if you touch it with the eraser. So if you wrote an entire word in one stroke and only want to erase the last letter, the entire word will be gone. While that might sound inconvenient at times, it makes for "speed erasing" entire sentences quite quickly and accurately.

I guess, for a start, that's it. If anyone has more hints on scribble apps and/or workarounds, please share!

Cheers,

CJ
CoronarJunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Feedback/suggestions about "Onyx Scribbler" application.

I recently sent the following message to ereader-store.de:

"I am using my M96 mostly for taking handwritten meeting notes. I recently tested over 40 scribble apps (all those with a rating of 3 or higher on the Play Store). The best one I have found is Lecture Notes, which is fully featured. However, all of those apps have a problem with slow pen response - Lecture Notes is one of the fast ones, but still 0,5 - 1 sec of delay between writing and the ink appearing on the screen. I tested this on the M96 and the M96 Plus also - no difference.
The ONLY app which responds immediately is Onyx Scribbler - very, very nice. However, it is lacking terribly in functionality. I don't want to write a full list of "nice-to-have" features, only what I miss the most:
- List view of notes (sortable by title asc/desc) (allows to quickly find recent notes without any taps on screen)
- Search notes by title (allows to quickly find earlier notes by keyword)
- Rename note: partial overwrite of default title (e.g. keep date, overwrite time with other text - allows quickly naming notes starting with date and then adding keywords)

With the addition of these functions, Onyx Scribbler would be a simple, but usable application. I would very much appreciate it if this could be implemented in the future!

I have a lot of experience with scribble apps, and would be happy to consult about further functionality also."

If anyone is using the Onyx Scribble app, how do you cope with the lack of those features?

If anyone has found another app with fast pen response, please share!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
hamsandwich
hamsandwich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I recently sent the following message to ereader-store.de:

"I am using my M96 mostly for taking handwritten meeting notes. I recently tested over 40 scribble apps (all those with a rating of 3 or higher on the Play Store). The best one I have found is Lecture Notes, which is fully featured. However, all of those apps have a problem with slow pen response - Lecture Notes is one of the fast ones, but still 0,5 - 1 sec of delay between writing and the ink appearing on the screen. I tested this on the M96 and the M96 Plus also - no difference.
The ONLY app which responds immediately is Onyx Scribbler - very, very nice. However, it is lacking terribly in functionality. I don't want to write a full list of "nice-to-have" features, only what I miss the most:
- List view of notes (sortable by title asc/desc) (allows to quickly find recent notes without any taps on screen)
- Search notes by title (allows to quickly find earlier notes by keyword)
- Rename note: partial overwrite of default title (e.g. keep date, overwrite time with other text - allows quickly naming notes starting with date and then adding keywords)

With the addition of these functions, Onyx Scribbler would be a simple, but usable application. I would very much appreciate it if this could be implemented in the future!

I have a lot of experience with scribble apps, and would be happy to consult about further functionality also."

If anyone is using the Onyx Scribble app, how do you cope with the lack of those features?

If anyone has found another app with fast pen response, please share!
I just got my N96 but am satisfied with Evernote so far. It has a slight delay which means you can't really care much about what you write but other than that I seem to think it fits your criteria.
hamsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:18 AM   #6
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsandwich View Post
I just got my N96 but am satisfied with Evernote so far. It has a slight delay which means you can't really care much about what you write but other than that I seem to think it fits your criteria.
Thank you, Hamsandwich. For now I have gone back to my trusty Eeenote, but your info is very useful for a potential future upgrade.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Thumbs down Must be better!

Hi Guys,

would like to add also my 2 cents.
I am starting taking notes very often to avoid using paper when I study.

I am using Onyx Scribbler and I am on the latest firmware version on a N96ML.
I find that the quality of the writing is simply bad for a 2016 device, but I am surviving with that.
What I find very frustrating is that it's impossible to order notes in a clear or personalized way and *most important* if you finish writing something and quickly exit from the app, you lose last seconds of what you wrote This is so bad!

As average I am happy with the Boox, but, really, this is not a cheap device and they should care about applications much more than they are.

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Update:

I started using Onyx reader with a blank PDF to take notes. The experience in writing is a bit better but with latest firmware they introduced a new issue where you lose notes if you don't exit from the application using the menu button and then exit.
Using directly the home button causes every single note to be lost. lovely!

They say that they will fix this problem in the next release of the app.

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google play store, m96, note taking, scribble