Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Any books for Christmas?

I'm looking for some holiday reading beyond the obvious (e.g. A Christmas Carol)... Any must-read Christmas novels or books out there?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry... although it will only take you five minutes to read. It's public domain as well.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I'm looking for some holiday reading beyond the obvious (e.g. A Christmas Carol)... Any must-read Christmas novels or books out there?
Your wish is my command.

I just now assembled "Christmas with Grandma Elsie," by Martha Finley.

I know nothing about this book, so you're to blame if it's a horrible read!

I'm putting it in the upload section right now.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Just a quick search of MR turns up a handful, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...archid=1377016 Dunno which you might consider must-reads. Perhaps googling 'Best christmas novels' might come up with some interesting results.

Beyond the very predictable Xmas stories I can't think of anything, I tend to be a Scrooge around Xmas. Heh....

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Project Gutenberg has a rather long list of public domain titles related to Christmas here. Unfortunately, we don't have very many of these titles in the MobileRead library, yet. If anyone was interested in learning how to convert and upload ebooks, that list might be a particularly good one to pick something to start with. And now would be a great time to do it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Project Gutenberg has a rather long list of public domain titles related to Christmas here. Unfortunately, we don't have very many of these titles in the MobileRead library, yet. If anyone was interested in learning how to convert and upload ebooks, that list might be a particularly good one to pick something to start with. And now would be a great time to do it.
I'm working on them. Got two of them already.

I extend a welcome to all ebook uploaders to join me
I feel lonely!

NOTE:
Working on Santa Claus's Partner, by Thomas Nelson Page, right now.

Don
Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm working on them. Got two of them already.

I extend a welcome to all ebook uploaders to join me
I feel lonely!

NOTE:
Working on Santa Claus's Partner, by Thomas Nelson Page, right now.

Don
Hi Don

Hey, I was the one feeling lonely! I do intend to post some xmas- stuff, too. I'll do Christmas, by Zona Gale. Maybe we should coordinate with Patricia, crutledge, nrapallo and the others to see who does what

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-08-2008 at 12:58 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've always enjoyed the first couple of chapters of the book of Luke at holiday time.

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Hi Don

Hey, I was the one feeling lonely! I do intend to post some xmas- stuff, too. I'll do Christmas, by Zona Gale. Maybe we should coordinate with Patricia, crutledge, nrapallo and the others to see who does what
Sounds great!

Ok, so Gale for you, and I'll do The Burgler and The Blizzard: A Christmas Story, by Alice Duer Miller

Here's the link to Gutenberg's Christmas list, if you haven't located it:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Christmas_(Bookshelf)

I'll post over to the other Moderator's right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Don
Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Clement S Moore: A Visit from Saint Nicholas - illustrated -(with the famous first line "'Twas the night before Christmas")
LRF: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16825
PRC: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16827
IMP: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16828

Dylan Thomas: A Child's Christmas in Wales
LRF: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19315
PRC: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19316
IMP: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19317

HarryT has also uploaded Dicken's Christmas Books, and Christmas Stories.
Beartard has given us an LRF version of the Liturgia Horarum (in Latin) for Advent and Christmas:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12400
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Hey, you can't do them all, Dr. Dribbles - I wanna help, too, ya know. Fortunately, there are plenty to choose from. I'll pick two or three not being worked on and try to have them done by the weekend. If there are some preferred titles, just say so.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshW View Post
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry... although it will only take you five minutes to read. It's public domain as well.
I'm afraid that falls in the "obvious" list for me... thanks for the suggestion though!

Edit: I just saw the Christmas uploads thread. Excellent!

Last edited by radius; 12-14-2008 at 12:05 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Don't forget Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace,

The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore(it has zombies attacking the local Christmas pageant),

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, and

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Don't forget Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace,

The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore(it has zombies attacking the local Christmas pageant),

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, and

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.
how can you not love a christmas story with zombies ??
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas