Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
What are we thinking is an ideal size for a cover?

Everybody wants big covers nowadays. But if you're submitting all kinds of places it would be cool if one size worked for everybody. Right now Draft2Digital, which submits to Amazon, Apple, B&N,Kobo wants 1600x2400. But KDP wants 1563x2500. So according to that, the 1600 of the 1600x2400 would be too long and the 2400 too short.

But then again D2D submits to Amazon and they,again, want the 1600x2400.

Any thoughts on this?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Last I checked while Amazon mentions 1563 x 2500 pixels as "ideal" size it's not required. They also say (or at least did) that the longest dimension should be at least 1000 pixels (which is a lot less than 2500) so 2400 is fine length wise (just depends on what aspect ratio you want your cover to be).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, I make mine 2500 x 15xx or so depending....I generally work on them at higher resolution in Photoshop and save a jpg at the appropriate size. In checking I see my most recent one for Growing Up Stories was actually 3467 x 2600 (for whatever reason?) but The Poet of Utah Park was only 1000 x 750 ?? (maybe that's why it's not selling so well )

I also create a thumbnail to use as needed about 200 x 1xx or so...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bah. You are thinking to hard. 1600x2400 vs 1563x2500 does not matter that much. Pick one, and roll with it. My are all 1563x2500 and I upload them everywhere.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. Feel a lot more comfortable about it now. Appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Mark from Smashwords blogged about cover sizes a bit ago. Since we have to deal with almost all cover size requirements with various retailers, he does a solid wrapup.

Apple requires the shorter side (the width) to be at least 1400px. I'd *personally* suggest that when you ask for the art from your cover artist, you request it be at least double that (2800px short side) and then scale down when you upload if you want your cover art to be future proof. The new tablets and retina screens will soon be wanting bigger covers from us.

Final note; the higher quality and resolution of your cover, the more likely it is that Apple will pick your book when they select books to feature.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Mark from Smashwords blogged about cover sizes a bit ago. Since we have to deal with almost all cover size requirements with various retailers, he does a solid wrapup.

Apple requires the shorter side (the width) to be at least 1400px. I'd *personally* suggest that when you ask for the art from your cover artist, you request it be at least double that (2800px short side) and then scale down when you upload if you want your cover art to be future proof. The new tablets and retina screens will soon be wanting bigger covers from us.

Final note; the higher quality and resolution of your cover, the more likely it is that Apple will pick your book when they select books to feature.
"Future-proof." Is there any such thing? Yeah, everybody is wanting bigger and bigger, but the problem is often times digital photos (used for covers) are not available in humongous sizes and, for me, working with paint.net, it is straining working with 1600X2400. Oh well. We do the best we can, right? Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Amazon used to be happy with 600x800 until they brought one of them tablet things out. Big covers cost more in transmission charges, and I doubt many people ever look at them in the actual reading device.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I do! I love great covers!

They are very important in attracting, selling and summarizing the book.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
"Future-proof." Is there any such thing?
Nope! But you can buy yourself a few years by planning a bit ahead.

Quote:
Yeah, everybody is wanting bigger and bigger, but the problem is often times digital photos (used for covers) are not available in humongous sizes and, for me, working with paint.net, it is straining working with 1600X2400.
Yes, that is understandable. Maybe the Gimp will serve you better? I haven't tried it on Windows recently. Dunno. I try to let artists deal with that stuff.

Quote:
Oh well. We do the best we can, right? Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.
You're very welcome.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote