Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Email accounts

This is the 2nd time in less than 2 weeks an email account has locked me out. Yahoo. It will send me a link in an old email Eudora account I no longer have or remember a silly question that I don't remember the answer too. So I am SOL?

I tried to set up a new account and they require a mobile number. I don't want to use one. Google is starting that too.

Who do you all use and are you happy with it and is it secure in your view?

I know this isn't ebook related but we have to have email accounts to do anything, buy books, etc...

Thanks.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You get what you pay for. Free isn't always a good deal.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Suggestions please? Recommend any one in particular?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The mobile number option is not required. You can say "remind me later" or something similar, and get past that question. I just did it recently.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Google doesn't force you to give a phone number.
I stopped using Yahoo mail a long time ago.
Gmail works for me.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
True, although I had a pay email service that was there one day and the next gone with no warning taking all my saved email with it (I had backups which were stolen a week later ). So sometimes you don't even get what you pay for.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I know it's old school, but I still have an AOL account from way way way back. I've never had an issue with it, and I am not a paid subscriber any more. I was way back in dial up days.
I'm pretty sure you can still sign up for free email through them.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
True, although I had a pay email service that was there one day and the next gone with no warning taking all my saved email with it (I had backups which were stolen a week later ). So sometimes you don't even get what you pay for.
Nothing in the world is perfect.

I own my own domain name. I have an ISP that delivers to that domain name. I use POP3 to deliver that email to my local machine. I trust nothing on the cloud and I backup-backup-backup.

The only email I've ever lost was due to my own stupidity.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
This is the 2nd time in less than 2 weeks an email account has locked me out. Yahoo. It will send me a link in an old email Eudora account I no longer have or remember a silly question that I don't remember the answer too. So I am SOL?

I tried to set up a new account and they require a mobile number. I don't want to use one. Google is starting that too.

Who do you all use and are you happy with it and is it secure in your view?

I know this isn't ebook related but we have to have email accounts to do anything, buy books, etc...

Thanks.
The whole point of the mobile number is that it stops you from being locked out. With both Hotmail and Gmail they'll send a code to your mobile that you can enter to re-enable your account if you do lose access.

These days I use Gmail for most things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
new

Quote:
Nothing in the world is perfect.

I own my own domain name. I have an ISP that delivers to that domain name. I use POP3 to deliver that email to my local machine. I trust nothing on the cloud and I backup-backup-backup.

The only email I've ever lost was due to my own stupidity.
How do you do this and what is the cost?

During this search I have been doing I read mostly how the government reads your emails and how google takes words from your private emails for searches, etc. etc.

But I am mostly concerned with hacking my email account. And how Yahoo & Google keeps making me come up with stupid questions or mobile numbers or other hoops to jump through just to get on to my email.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The whole point of the mobile number is that it stops you from being locked out. With both Hotmail and Gmail they'll send a code to your mobile that you can enter to re-enable your account if you do lose access.

These days I use Gmail for most things.
Yeah but I was reading on Google Gmail that if I log in my email from say my Ipod Touch it will make me go through the mobile number to get a code to sign in

If I am not on the same computer it says it will do that. This is how banking is going now days too. This is making it harder for the average person to even log in anymore.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Yeah but I was reading on Google Gmail that if I log in my email from say my Ipod Touch it will make me go through the mobile number to get a code to sign in

If I am not on the same computer it says it will do that. This is how banking is going now days too. This is making it harder for the average person to even log in anymore.
I've never had to do that when logging into Gmail on different devices.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
How do you do this and what is the cost?
Get a domain (annual fee varies) and a hosting account somewhere (mine's $4 a month), or at least that's how I do it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Get a domain (annual fee varies) and a hosting account somewhere (mine's $4 a month), or at least that's how I do it.
Is that from GoDaddy.com? Lots to learn....
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have been using Gmail since it was introduced. No problems whatsoever.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote