Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Revamped Kobo bookstore?

I was surprised today to discover that the Kobo book store appears to have had a makeover.
Anyone else noticed?
Any comments for or against?
It appears to me to have gone the B&N Nook route of display.
lecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
In terms of look and feel it seems ok. Need to use it for a while to see if they've improved the utility.

Here's hoping the search is better.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There is a filter for "Items Eligible For Promo Codes" -- excellent.

There no longer seems to be any indication whether a book is DRM-free -- terrible.

(I'm looking at th Kobo UK site, my local site hasn't had the update yet.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
That's odd, I'm in the UK and don't see anything different.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Me too - no difference in the UK site from here . ..
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Keeps flicking in and out (and has done for me for the last few weeks), looks to me more like it is a mobile version that is appearing on the desktop site, I was hoping it was going to go away. Doesn't give the author, publisher or book description in the search results making it a right PITA. Also no way to mark recommendations as read etc that I can see.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I think they're beta testing the new site.

I first got it on June 25 - which I only know because I posted a thread about it here, but at the time not many people had it yet. My husband doesn't have the new site on his account, though. I heard from one person in California who said they had it, but others don't.

I really like the changes. It seems like they've improved search, and I like that browsing is now similar to browsing on Pinterest. I never used to browse on the old site.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
No longer lists DRM vs DRM-free. Terrible...now I can't buy books from them. (I'm one of those apparently useless Linux users.)

I want to just buy and download (DRM-free only), now I can't do that.

The "Kobo for web" option is terrible, hangs in Firefox.

More $$$ for Smashwords if they don't fix this.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
No longer lists DRM vs DRM-free. Terrible...now I can't buy books from them. (I'm one of those apparently useless Linux users.)

I want to just buy and download (DRM-free only), now I can't do that.
They don't list if a book download is ePub or PDF anymore either nor come to think of it if a book even has a download (besided kePub to their devices). It's fairly rare, but sometimes there are books with no ePub or PDF download option at all. Am I just missing seeing the download options?

For example from this thread we know that this book has no ePub or PDF download. Can't tell that with the new layout, because no books indicate download options.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-18-2013 at 08:15 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
If you save a preview of a book that interests you the library preview will tell you the download options, including whether or not the book is DRM free.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I scroll down the page for a book, over on the right hand side I see a section
Quote:
eBook Information

Imprint: Mulholland Books
ISBN: 9780316206860
Language: English
Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB
Surely this is showing me the format and DRM info?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When I scroll down the page for a book, over on the right hand side I see a section

Surely this is showing me the format and DRM info?
Are you seeing the new site or the old? Your description sounds like how things look/looked on the old site.

The product info for that book on the new site gives...
Quote:
PRODUCT INFO
Little, Brown and Company, April 2013
Imprint:Mulholland Books
ISBN:9780316206860
Language:English
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Here are some screen shots of the new site for those who don't know what we are talking about...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-07-19 15:08:06.png
Views:	623
Size:	840.4 KB
ID:	108362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-07-19 15:09:30.png
Views:	608
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	108363  
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks Geoff, I am still seeing the old site - lack of indication of format is awful! I think we should all harass people on the chat to find out about formats, maybe they will then revert back to showing it!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #15
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Still seeing old site
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books, rdlecoeur