Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Specs...

Quote:
Size: 175.7 x 128.3 x 11.7 mm (6.91 x 5.05 x 0.46 in)
Weight: 240 g (8.4658 oz)

Processor: 1 GHz
Display: 6.8" WXGA+ Pearl E Ink Screen
ClarityScreen+: 265 dpi, 1440 x 1080 resolution

Light: Built-in ComfortLight technology with micro-thin coating for durability and even light distribution
Buttons: Power on/off, light on/off
Connectivity: Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
Storage: 4 GB, Option to expand up to 32 GB with a Micro SD card
Battery: Up to 2 months*
* Based on 30 minutes of reading a day. Varies according to individual use.

Colours: Espresso, Ivory, and Onyx

Social Reading:
Includes Reading Life™. Track your Reading Stats and share what you're reading, favourite passage and Reading Life awards to Facebook® Timeline.
Recommendations
Personalized eBook recommendations that change as your tastes do. Optimize Kobo Picks by providing your feedback.

Fonts:
TypeGenius, Kobo's font experience with a choice of 10 font styles, 24 font sizes, and adjustable font sharpness and weight.
Includes Kobo's exclusive font Kobo Nickel, designed for crisp, clear readability.

Dictionary:
Built-in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® dictionary.

Notes, Quotes, Highlight text, take notes, share to Facebook.

Advanced Features:
Library personalization, predictive search, brightness controls, double-tap PDF zoom in, and SimpleTurn for comfortable page turns.

Open:
Supports ePub and Adobe DRM. Read books borrowed from your public library.
File Types
eBooks: EPUB, PDF, and MOBI
Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

Browsing:
Experimental Web browser

Games:
Chess and Sudoku

Languages:
English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Japanese.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
There were no rumors about this ahead of time? I had to learn about it from the official email from Kobo? I feel that you guys have let me down...
I didn't know the release name until this morning, and that was due to a chance discussion with someone.

I did know the codename and roughly what it would be - high end eInk device - but beyond that nothing more than the name.

This is primarily due to me not being involved in that side of things, and having our own commitments and deadlines.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Espresso or Ivory???
Or Onyx.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
This looks great for my husband who uses his Kindle Keyboard in landscape mode for a wider page since he likes enormous font.

Does the current Glo (or Touch) firmware allow reading in landscape mode?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Bluestar59
Bluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
There is a review on Engadget.com here:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/15/k...a-hd-e-reader/
Bluestar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Coverage on BBC News
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I notice there's no mention of the number of shades of gray the screen supports, so I'm assuming it's still only 16 (on the grounds that they would've highlighted an improvement).

So - same light, same processor speed, more pixels to drive, and roughly the size of my iPad mini, but a smidge lighter. Considering how recently I got my Glo and how much I dislike reading novels on my iPad mini (due to weight, not screen tech), I'll pass on this one.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Or Onyx.
Too pedestrian.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Sounds fantastic. My only concern, as others have said is that the software will let it down, for example they promote how great the Kobo Nickel font is. It is a font I also like on my Glo, but let down by italicised text appearing as bold text (as has crept in with time in lots of their other fonts). The only potential postive is if issues such as this work properly in the aura, then hopefully it means a release to fix all the bugs in the glo could be on the way? Kobo are innovative in the products they produce, but constantly seem to manage to mess up on "basic" sofware, after all these at the end of the day are only ereaders, it is not windows 8 they are having to produce.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
HoyPhoto
HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Touch
And I just bought a Glo today from Costco :P

Got the Glo for the light and will not be disappointed, love my Touch for everything else. I think I will survive, especially since it's going for $40 more than I paid.
HoyPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wonder if it's a glass substrate like previous screens or plastic.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #27
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Hey thanks for bringing this reader to the board. It looks like they still have a long way to go. A dual core cpu would have been better for a faster fuller response time. Mind you we will have to wait to get our hands on it to see the improvements are hard to guage with out a hands on experience.

Waiting for the hands on experience.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
And its got 4Gb of in built memory - a definite plus.

On the other hand it weighs half as much again as the Sony PRS-T1. A major consideration for me otherwise I would be seriously thinking about one.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #29
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar59 View Post
There is a review on Engadget.com here:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/15/k...a-hd-e-reader/
Huh. "As such, it's a limited edition offering, one not destined to replace the flagship Glo."
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wonder if it's a glass substrate like previous screens or plastic.
Same here. If the screen gets larger, it's more likely to break. If it doesn't have a plastic and very robust screen screen I will pass on this one. Considering the price it really should have the plastic screen.

Here is a video review.

Last edited by scheichxodox; 04-15-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Video added
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote