Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
2.4 update and ADE epubs not authorised

I haven't seen this problem mentioned by anyone else (but I may have missed it) so I started a new thread.

My Kobo updated the other day to 2.4.0 and now all my ADE DRM protected epubs will not open. I get a message that says

"This document is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in and try again"

The settings info on the Kobo says that I am signed in with the correct Adobe ID and the Kobo is recognised when I open up ADE on the desktop. I can read the ebooks on the ADE desktop and on my Sony PRS-650, it's just the Kobo that refuses access.

Any ideas please? Also, I'm just a reader, I get sort of lost when I see answers to others that involve things like rewriting code and changing files or whatever

ETA: this is only happening with epubs that were not bought from Kobo - the ebooks from the Kobo shop are ok but none of the others.

Last edited by Witty Username; 02-23-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: More information
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I do recall seeing reports of this. I'm not sure where I saw it in combination with an update, but see here.

You can try one of the following:

1. Re-authorisation
- Connect your Touch to the computer and start Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
- If ADE says the Touch is authorised, deauthorise it.
- Authorise the Touch again

2. Re-send books from ADE to the Touch (copy over existing, or delete existing first)
3. Uhmm... I'll have a think. Let me know if the above doesn't work.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your quick response.

OK, I've tried deauthorising it and then authorised again. ADE says that the device has been successfully authorised to my Adobe ID but I still get the error message on the Kobo.

So I tried re-sending one of the titles from ADE to the Touch, choosing to replace the existing file when prompted to do so.

The book still won't open although my Adobe ID has the correct authorisation on the Account settings of the Touch.

Any other ideas welcomed.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What a shame.

It sounds like the authorisation didn't work, despite that it said that it did. Similar to the thread I linked to: maybe your number of maximum devices to authorise has been reached. This doesn't necessarily mean you have more than 6 devices authorised, but that you authorised maybe one or two devices more than 6 times (Adobe has a stupid system).

To be sure this is the problem, you could test this by de-authorising your Sony, and then seeing if the Touch will be allowed to view the books. But you could also skip this step and go straight to trying to solve it:

The only way to solve this is to contact Adobe and have them reset all your authorisations. You'll have to re-authorise all your devices after that (so your computer and eReaders).

Edit: something like this might also be happening?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
one_user
one_user began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I installed 2.4, all my sideloaded epubs (DRM-free) did not open. I got the same message "This document is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in and try again". Tried to restart, re-register, etc to no avail. I ended up downgrading to 2.1.5 and now I can read all my books.

IMHO, while the Kobo products are ok from a hardware perspective, I think that their firmware releases are not well tested and pretty buggy. They should concentrate at addressing annoying bugs before adding any new features.
one_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Witty Username
Addict

wooohooooo!!!!!! It's all working again!

What I did to fix it:

1. Followed the link from Mrs Often to adobe digital editions support.

2. ADE does not provide actual livechat suppport " because it is a free product" (!) but the livechat CS agent directed me to the ADE forums.

3. I found a request for help with a similar issue dated April 2011. The thread is here: ADE forums

4. I followed this advice:

Quote:
In order to fix this error message please follow the steps as suggested below.

1) Open Digital Editions.
2) Connect the Reader and open it.
3) Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + E on your keyboard.
4) Now unplug the Reader and replug it.
5) There you will find a new drive created similar to C or D drive under "My computer".
6) Open the Readers Drive and you will find one or two folders with name adobe.digital.edition.
7) Delete thyis folder and plug off and re plug in the Reader.
8) Authorize Reader from the same Adobe ID which you used to Authorize Adobe Digital Editions.
and it worked! The advice is almost 2 years old so I wasn't very confident that it would still be relevant but I didn't have anything to lose so I tried it.

This may be a simple fix that the more computer literate might already be aware of (like I said in the first post: I'm a reader, not a programmer) but having the info here may help someone like me.

Thank you to Mrs Often for pointing me towards the solution.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Great!! I'm glad you found a solution! Well done and thanks for sharing!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Adobe DRM epubs remained readable after sideloading firmware 2.4.0 on my Glo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I haven't seen this problem mentioned by anyone else (but I may have missed it) so I started a new thread.

My Kobo updated the other day to 2.4.0 and now all my ADE DRM protected epubs will not open. I get a message that says

"This document is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in and try again"
I had a similar problem, and this is what Kobo Customer Care told me to do, and it worked:

"Please click settings on your eReader and go to account. Here you can see which email address is signed in to ADE.

If your email address is correct in here and it still does not work, we would like to ask you to re-authorize your device.

Please remove the book in question from both the eReader and Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and then follow the steps below to deauthorize and reauthorize the eReader and your computer:

To deauthorize and re-authiorize the computer:
1. Open ADE
2. Press the Ctrl+Shift+D (Command+Shift+D on Mac) keys at the same time to Deauthorize a Computer
3. Click DEAUTHORIZE
4. Click QUIT
5. ADE will close.
6. Re-open ADE
7. The SETUP ASSISTANT will appear on your screen.
8. Click CONTINUE.
9. Select AUTHORIZE COMPUTER and enter your Adobe ID.
10. Click ACTIVATE.
11. Click FINISHED.

To deauthorize and re-authiorize the eReader
1. Open ADE
2. Connect your eReader to the computer (If you have a Kobo eReader select CONNECT or MANAGE LIBRARY)
3. Press the Ctrl+Shift+E (Command+Shift+E on Mac) keys at the same time.
4. Select the eReader you wish to deauthorize from the drop down menu
5. Click DEAUTHORIZE
6. Click OK
7. Safely eject your eReader and disconnect it from the computer.
8. Connect your eReader to the computer again (If you have a Kobo eReader select CONNECT or MANAGE LIBRARY)
9. The DEVICE SETUP ASSISTANT pop-up will appear on your screen.
10. Click AUTHORIZE DEVICE.
11. Click FINISHED.

Please note: If you receive an error message stating that you have authorized too many devices, please contact Adobe to help resolve this issue."

Last edited by tkavan; 02-23-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: To correct punctuation.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
I had this problem on my Kobo Glo after upgrading to 2.4 - so it doesn't seem to be just a Kobo Touch issue. Adobe Digital Editions seemed to think my Kobo was still authorised, but deleting the affected epubs and recopying them using ADE didn't seem to work.

I solved it by adapting the instructions above (1) attach the Kobo to the PC and tap connect (2) delete the .adobe-digital-editions folder on the Kobo (3) reboot the Kobo, otherwise ADE can't see it (4) authorise the Kobo in ADE.

I could now read the books on my device, but the covers were just black rectangles. So I deleted the books and reloaded them using ADE and everything was fine.

I'd add that the reason I bought a Kobo rather than a Kindle was precisely because Kobo does not tie you to a single bookstore - despite the fact that I've bought most of my ebooks from Kobo - so I hope this problem does not reoccur.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Pete in Gisborne
Pete in Gisborne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
This has happened to me after an update I got yesterday. Only the book I was currently reading unfortunately. Tried all the remedies suggested on this thread but no go. Deleted the book and downloaded it again and ran it through ADE but still no go. Finally gave up and deleted book again. This is the only problem I've had with the reader and it is disappointing to say the least.
It didn't matter whether I loaded to book via Calibre or ADE. Using Mac software and also updated Kobo Desktop as well.
Very strange.
Pete in Gisborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_user View Post
When I installed 2.4, all my sideloaded epubs (DRM-free) did not open. I got the same message "This document is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in and try again".
I had a similar problem after installing 2.4.0. Interestingly, it happened with only one of about 80 gutenberg.org books (all of course DRM free). I deleted this book several times via the menu, and copied it anew to the device, but was not allowed to open it. Now I can again open the book, but I don't know which of the things I have done in between was decisive.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
~tjayz~
~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Thumbs up

A million thankyou's to Mumbletop

I had the same problem after (finally) managing to upgrade to 2.4. After trying all the more complicated procedures given on this thread, I tried your much simpler one and.... it worked!

I was devastated that I couldn't read my library books, nor a couple of books that I've bought from other websites, as this was the main reason I bought my Kobo Glo in the first place, so now I'm happy again.

Thanks again!
~tjayz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
FelineFeral
FelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi,
I've tried everything that's been suggested here but I still can't get my Kobo Glo to open ADE files from my library.

I'm very close to doing a factory reset.

Anyone have any other ideas?
FelineFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
FelineFeral
FelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
wooohooooo!!!!!! It's all working again!

4. I followed this advice:

In order to fix this error message please follow the steps as suggested below.

1) Open Digital Editions.
2) Connect the Reader and open it.
3) Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + E on your keyboard.
4) Now unplug the Reader and replug it.
5) There you will find a new drive created similar to C or D drive under "My computer".
6) Open the Readers Drive and you will find one or two folders with name adobe.digital.edition.
7) Delete this folder and plug off and re plug in the Reader.
8) Authorize Reader from the same Adobe ID which you used to Authorize Adobe Digital Editions.
I retract my previous statement. This worked but what it fails to mention is that the file is a hidden file, and you pretty much have to jump through hoops to see it (on a Mac anyway) Once you find it, delete it and get ADE to reauthorize the Kobo it does indeed work again.

For a Mac you need to:
1. Open Terminal -> enter the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE -> hit enter and then type ->killall Finder -> hit enter again.
Don't worry killall just reboots the windows so it takes effect.

2. Go into your Kobo eReader folder (it shows up as a drive) -> you'll see a files called .adobe-digitals-editions faded out in the folder now -> move it to the recycle bin and delete it.

3. Unplugged you Kobo and then reconnect to ADE and reauthorize. This should set you back up and running.

4. Don't forget to hide those files again. In Terminal enter the following -> zdefaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE -> hit enter and type -> killall Finder -> hit enter again.

Thanks for the info!
FelineFeral is offline   Reply With Quote