Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #346
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
OK, it's running this time, after repeating the procedure 4 times and rebooting once. Why was it necessary to use the pressure point in the physical location instead of a link in an easy to access location? I'm assuming that wasn't something you could control?
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #347
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
OK, it's running this time, after repeating the procedure 4 times and rebooting once. Why was it necessary to use the pressure point in the physical location instead of a link in an easy to access location? I'm assuming that wasn't something you could control?
Correct - that point was defined by Amazon for "after-build" Q.A. testing (at least that is my guess about its purpose, and it is gone in 5.3.3 - so it was probably a lab126 "Oops").
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #348
Mariodood
Mariodood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question guys -- I jailbroke my Paperwhite on 5.3.1 I believe. Then I completely disconnected it from the Kindle Store, the Cloud, turned on Airplane mode, etc.

Today I wanted to get a free book off of Amazon whispernet, so I buy the book on Amazon, I re-enable the cloud and kindle store, and my Kindle updates without asking me.

I think my jailbreak still works but does anyone know how I can get books off of Whispernet without involuntarily updating my kindle in the future?

thanks
Mariodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #349
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
You could just manually download it from your Kindle library (which you can reach via the Amazon website). At the far right there should be a button that displays a dropdown menu when you click on it; One of the available options should be "Transfer/Download via USB" or something similar to that.

Last edited by cryzed; 02-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #350
beachcrow
beachcrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Jailbreak failed, diags problem?

My jailbreak failed and it seems to be the same issue Aceflor had last December in post#20 - post#129. As there were 7 pages of trial and error (as well as PM's sent) I'm wondering what the final solution was. I have an early batch Paperwhite, no luck jailbreaking with 5.3.0 or after updating to 5.3.1.

Just trying to jailbreak for custom screensavers, I'm not an advanced hacker so hoping for easy to follow instructions. Thanks for any .

Here's the jailbreak log:

12:36:16 PREPARING JAILBREAK
12:36:18 PREPARING JAILBREAK
12:36:19 Extracting files ...
12:36:19 OK
12:36:30 INSTALLING FILES
12:36:33 Mounting filesystem ...
12:36:35 OK
12:36:36 Installing updater certificate ...
12:36:39 OK
12:36:40 Installing Kindlet certificates ...
12:36:42 OK
12:36:43 Installing jailbreak bridge ...
12:36:45 OK
12:36:47 Installing rescue pack (main) ...
12:36:49 OK
12:36:50 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
12:36:52 FAILED
12:36:54 Failed to backup original diags passwords
12:36:59 JAILBREAK FAILED
12:37:01 Please check the log file, jailbreak-log.txt
beachcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #351
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure if the changes that were made are automatically rolled back when the jailbreak installation fails at any point, but in case they don't, you should in theory have a jailbroken device -- just without the rescue pack (which is a really good thing to have!). Did you try installing/running any hack and see if it worked yet?

And definitely talk to ixtab about that failed rescue pack installation!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #352
beachcrow
beachcrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cryzed, many thanks! As the log said JAILBREAK FAILED, I trusted the log and did not even try to install a hack. So I have now installed the screensaver hack and it's working perfectly.

So, as Emily Litella says, "never mind".

But I have to ask, what is the purpose of the "rescue pack" and why is it a "really good thing to have" the working jailbreak without it? Thanks again.
beachcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #353
cryzed
Evangelist

The rescue pack, in theory, would allow you to hopefully save your Kindle in case something goes wrong (more commonly known as "bricking" your device).

This might happen for example if you accidentally modify or delete system files or some kind of hack you decide to install, doesn't perform as expected. In case your device doesn't start properly anymore, the rescue pack would allow you to directly interact with the operating system and hopefully fix the problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #354
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@beachcrow, cryzed: this has also happened to exactly one other person before (aceflor, if I'm not mistaken), and is most probably caused by some of the "early" Paperwhites being shipped with "non-standard" diags partitions. IOW: You may really have gotten your hands on a PW which was actually used for testing.

You can either ignore the issue, or you can re-flash the diags partition to a "known good" state. In any case, the steps to follow are somewhere in this thread, most probably in the posts of the first week (or two).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #355
jobblevel
jobblevel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi ixtab,

This Jailbreak is cool, thanks a lot! Although I'm just wondering that is there any *uninstall.bin for this jailbreak as itwas for the previous versions?...why I amasking is that I am in a negotiation about getting rid of special offers "officially" so I should restore defaults first I guess.
Is there anyone who could help me out with this? (I have already uninstalled everything else..). Thank's in advance.

jobblevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here we go - a jailbreak method that works on Paperwhite devices with Firmware versions 5.2.0, 5.3.0, and 5.3.1.

FIRMWARE 5.3.3:
This jailbreak cannot be installed on newer firmware versions (thank you Amazon, for yet another middle finger!). You have to downgrade to an older version (e.g., 5.3.1) first, install the jailbreak there, then update to the new version. The jailbreak as such will survive the update (but you have to reinstall the Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack - see the "re-installation required" notes below).

Thanks to youtube user Hunyadi Zsolt, here is a video of the jailbreak installer in action:
Spoiler:

Just download the attached zip, extract it and follow the instructions in the README.txt.

By default, the following "components" are installed:
  • The actual device jailbreak, i.e., the certificate which allows to install custom update packages.
  • The Kindlet developer certificates. (standalone installer package here - re-installation required after firmware update!)
  • The Jailbreak Bridge.
  • The Rescue Pack. (re-installation required after firmware update!)

You can disable individual components by editing the jailbreak.sh file, but this isn't recommended. After all, there is a very good reason for installing every single one of the components, so I recommend to just stick to the defaults.

It is safe to re-apply the procedure as many times as you want - for instance, if you happen to unregister your device, the developer certificates will be deleted. You can simply re-apply the jailbreak to get them back (only on supported firmwares though).

While it is not recommended to remove the jailbreak - after all, it also allows you to debrick the device - , instructions for doing so can be found here.

PS: And here is another, completely unrelated and off-topic, video:
Spoiler:
Yes - completely off-topic, but funny.
jobblevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #356
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobblevel View Post
Hi ixtab,

This Jailbreak is cool, thanks a lot! Although I'm just wondering that is there any *uninstall.bin for this jailbreak as itwas for the previous versions?...why I amasking is that I am in a negotiation about getting rid of special offers "officially" so I should restore defaults first I guess.
Is there anyone who could help me out with this? (I have already uninstalled everything else..). Thank's in advance.

jobblevel
First post, and you even quoted it: "While it is not recommended to remove the jailbreak - after all, it also allows you to debrick the device - , instructions for doing so can be found here."
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #357
jobblevel
jobblevel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
True I haven!t read through the last sentence:P..Thanks anyway for your fast reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
First post, and you even quoted it: "While it is not recommended to remove the jailbreak - after all, it also allows you to debrick the device - , instructions for doing so can be found here."
jobblevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #358
peter24
peter24 began at the beginning.

Device: none
just got my Kindle PW (ver. 5.3.1) don't want to register or even buy or get anything from there. Just want to UL my own stuff over USB-cable to it and just read it without any brrrrrrrrrrrrr#%^&@! from them.
fix worked like a charm on first try.
Thanks you very much, hope it will not try to connect anywhere in case I am close to a WIFI.
Appreciate all the work everybody does.
peter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #359
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
just got my Kindle PW (ver. 5.3.1) don't want to register or even buy or get anything from there. Just want to UL my own stuff over USB-cable to it and just read it without any brrrrrrrrrrrrr#%^&@! from them.
fix worked like a charm on first try.
Thanks you very much, hope it will not try to connect anywhere in case I am close to a WIFI.
Appreciate all the work everybody does.
Since your posting here - I assume you just applied the jailbreak for your Kpw.

For long term happiness - now register it (you have to make the wifi connection to Amazon **ONCE** - it should auto-register if you bought it from them).

Then follow this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
to upgrade to 5.3.3 and install the KUAL launcher (you can stop following that thread at the step when the launcher is working again).

Then install the KUAL Firewall with BBB- filter ;
And maybe the KUAL backdoor locker.
(All indexed in the KUAL threads.)

Then you can feel safe to use your Wifi (like your own home Wifi).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #360
peter24
peter24 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks knc1, Ohhhh boy, I should have known better, Amazon is as bad as Apple when it comes to proprietary stuff. Glad you told me and will follow your advise. Off course the other e-readers are not any better. I remember the time when the net was considered a free for all and everything. Wonder where it went.
Appreciate it.
Update:
Just out of curiosity since I got my Kpw from a store in town, not Amazon. Anybody knows how long it last till it complains and I need to register it? I always shut down my devices and this one too. At home it can't log-on to my WiFi and at work, there is no Internet to Log-On too. Question anybody knows what the Jailbreak ed Kpw will do?
Thanks

Last edited by peter24; 02-17-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Add question
peter24 is offline   Reply With Quote